This new meta is kinda wierd

This new meta is kinda wierd

Postby FunkOff » 09 Jan 2014, 02:26

The new meta is this:

-Rank 1s and 2s are basically reckless commandos: Nobody cares if they die at this rank, so these people play like in 1v1 ranked.
-Higher ranks: These guys stay in the base, sometimes never moving the ACU from it's original spot, and retreat if it seems like they are going to lose.

Why? Because anybody can be sniped, and usually very quickly.

Seraphim has a guy who's rank 2 who walks around carrying lots of T1 and T3 reinforcements. He uses the T1 to attack noobs quickly, and the T3 to snipe pros. This is an advanced strategy.

Similarly, a rank 4 seraphim I fought never left his base. As soon as he lost map control, he attacked with all his forces (as a distraction) and recalled.

This seems almost silly: High ranking players act like cowards and are at a huge disadvantage because they cannot use their ACU actively, lest they risk being sniped by reinforcements.

This tells me reinforcements need to be nerfed in some way or recalling needs to be improved. Honestly, it's probably the latter: Recall takes far too long when away form base and it doesn't really make any sense why it should. Recall should probably take about 20-30 seconds and be the same amount regardless of where you recall from.

Also, auto recall might not be a bad idea, but it should have some kind of penalty.

Also, having a lot of small maps where utilizing the ACU offensively is essentially but where being sniped is really easy might not be the best idea.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: This new meta is kinda wierd

Postby Gerfand » 09 Jan 2014, 02:48

what about make some retreat points?
like if you are close to them you recall faster, but if the enemy Acu is close, you recall at the normal rate
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Hawkei » 09 Jan 2014, 03:25

Sounds like a game of Chess. The most aggressive and powerful pieces on the Chess board are the pawns. Why? Because they are cheap and expendable. Ironically, the more powerful a piece becomes. The more risk adverse a player would be towards loosing it.

I tend to think that your meta-game has not come full circle yet. Because, if a high ranking player becomes so risk adverse that they compromise their combat effectiveness. The value in a rank will very likely be depreciated. As their ability to win matches has been impaired.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Gorton » 09 Jan 2014, 03:26

Firewall wrote:Sounds like a game of Chess. The most aggressive and powerful pieces on the Chess board are the pawns. Why? Because they are cheap and expendable. Ironically, the more powerful a piece becomes. The more risk adverse a player would be towards loosing it.

I tend to think that your meta-game has not come full circle yet. Because, if a high ranking player becomes so risk adverse that they compromise their combat effectiveness. The value in a rank will very likely be depreciated. As their ability to win matches has been impaired.

This has already happened.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby ZLO_RD » 09 Jan 2014, 04:24

I personally like that now you have to have balls to use ACU agressively
(or be rank 1-2 :D)
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Ze_PilOt » 09 Jan 2014, 09:08

I don't see what's wrong, this is in fact what I had in mind.

Reinforcements & planetary defense balance will be done when every thing is implemented, not now.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby nine2 » 09 Jan 2014, 09:53

I like how the more powerful players have to be more reserved ... it gives a benefit to those without heavy reinforcements ... which is a form of balance
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Golol » 10 Jan 2014, 00:32

in the beginning i supported avatar death but now i actually think it isnt that good.
first of all it has many bad influences on gameplay due to people not using their acu except as an engineer.
it was always said that galactic war is not supposed to be fair, but to be fun, and reinforcements or unsymmetrical maps are really cool for having fun matches.
but how can you have a fun game when every second you could use something you invested hours and hours into building up.
in my opinion either:
-fair matches as usal and permanent avatar loss
or
-fun matches that might be unfair but with lower penalty for failure (if you die you lose all rank abilities for a day)

i would personally prefer the second because if you want games that pump you and make you sweat play ladder :D.
a mix of both, like it is right now, seems to be a rather bad solution.
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Ze_PilOt » 10 Jan 2014, 00:47

All the features are not in place. It's useless to talk about this now.

But perma-death will stay. It's the core of the game. What you will have are auto-recall functions that you can buy (remember Arnold on the FA campaign when his auto-recall failed? :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 10 Jan 2014, 00:50

Golol wrote:first of all it has many bad influences on gameplay due to people not using their acu except as an engineer.

And I wouldn't call that bad influence.

I'm one of many that think that ACU are over-used in FA (it's not a MOBA). One of my goal on GW was to make the ACU what it's supposed to be : a Commander, not a weapon.

So I'm quite happy if people have second thoughts throwing their ACUs in the middle of a battle. That was by design. A game that play differently while the balance is exactly the same as the normal game.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to Galactic War