Re-think dead is dead

Do you think GW should be deadis-dead mode?

Yes
55%
No
23%
I like it, but i don't think it's a good idea to increase the playerbase.
18%
I dislike it, but i think it's a good idea overall.
5%

Total votes : 22

Re-think dead is dead

Postby ColonelSheppard » 09 Jul 2013, 00:57

I know it sounds cool and realistic but:
- it kills long term motivation (fighting for faction, yeah cool, but wont work for the majority)
- it leads to pussyplay (not save play but real pussyplay)
- it makes highest ranked player only sitting on the officechair
- it's hard to get motivated to play again if your 100wins+ char died (even after one month)
- it's an important part in all avatar based games to at least somehow identfy with your char, this is already quite difficult if you have to pick an premade name, but it becomes impossible if you have to make new avatars from time to time, especially new players will just leave again

Now i understand the idea, where it comes from and the arguments for it, but you said GW is supposed to be fun, and i dont think dead is dead is fun for most, and for me. There should be a big penalty but not dead is dead.

Now what i dont want to hear now is:
- you dont have second chances in War, this is not war, this is a computergame
- you dont understand the idea behind it, you have to take care for your commander, i do, and i did, but shit happens, Rock knows that, Tex had to notice that, and fuckoff too
- there will be deathpreventing stuff for higher ranks, yeah great then they only play if they have something like this, thats what i call p*play
- we talk about balance later, this is not about balance this is about a basic idea

pls take me serious, i'm not a random troll, i write this because i actually care, and becaue, sorry for this arrogant statement, i think i know how this may end with dead is dead.

I hope there is an answer for everyone in the polloptions.
Last edited by ColonelSheppard on 09 Jul 2013, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Re: Re-think dead is dead

Postby FunkOff » 09 Jul 2013, 00:59

I voted no, but I like the current system WITH THE EXCEPTION that you can sometimes auto-recall. Never having any auto-recalls sucks. Also, the person should always recall whether the ACU does or not. So, always keep rank/name, but reset kill count and credits upon full death.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Ze_PilOt » 09 Jul 2013, 07:48

More important : I don't have time to change the whole thing.

Credits may be transferred to your new avatar, and maybe some ranks if it's really needed, but that's about it.
Stats will be lost, name will be lost, attacks will be lost, ....

The whole system revolve around the fact that you can really kill someone. If it's removed, I have rethink everything, not possible at this stage.

And also, yes, auto-recall have low requirement and can be kind of cheap.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby ColonelSheppard » 09 Jul 2013, 13:27

Ze_PilOt wrote:If it's removed, I have rethink everything, not possible at this stage.

Sometimes it's better to pull the emergency beark than producing a crash. I'm often a pesimist and i do hope i'm wrong but i think the Open Beta will proove my point
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Blackheart » 09 Jul 2013, 13:34

I like that dead is dead. Also i dont think it will cause major problems, just look at day-z for example.
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

Postby Blodir » 09 Jul 2013, 13:44

Blackheart wrote:I like that dead is dead. Also i dont think it will cause major problems, just look at day-z for example.

That's a terrible, terrible comparison as we are speaking of a completely different kind of game. I'm not really for or against dead-is-dead, it's an interesting experiment though
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Ze_PilOt » 09 Jul 2013, 13:57

I will add "rogue-like" in the description of GW, and it will be hyped :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby pip » 09 Jul 2013, 15:41

I like dead is dead, but as Zep said, maybe some kind of legacy can be transferred to your new avatar like credits, and if a certain rank was reached, the new avatar could start at a higher rank. For instance, if someone could reach a high rank, like rank 8, he could start again at rank 3 or 4 instead of 1, or this kind of things, so that the player feel rewarded for his game.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby FunkOff » 09 Jul 2013, 17:15

Part of the reason is soooo much depends on rank.... intel, wallet size, income, if and how much you can buy for reinforcememts all depend on rank. Rank 0 has way too many handicaps
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Swkoll » 10 Jul 2013, 05:25

Ze_PilOt wrote:I will add "rogue-like" in the description of GW, and it will be hyped :)

Don't forget "hard core MMO"
"Only the fear of the hypnotoad is preventing me from raging right now." - ColonelSheppard
"Swkoll is a genius, let's accept this and move on" - VoR_Gorton
Swkoll
Contributor

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Swkoll

Next

Return to Galactic War