ACU and ranking.

ACU and ranking.

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 May 2013, 10:32

This is something I had in mind for a long time, but I've just got the right idea under the shower today :)

In Supcom/FA campaign, you are a fairly new recruit, and you don't have access to all the tech immediately.

We can assume that battles are only fought with ACUs, and they are rather expensive to make, and we can also assume that they don't give one to any soldier.

In GW, you start as "any soldier".
So the question is : Do they give a state of the art ACU to a noob ?

I don't think so.
The idea is that you don't have a full ACU at rank 1.

Rank 1 : You start with a ACU that does not have access to any upgrade, overcharge and with a smaller blast radius. It's visually the SCU model. The max health is also reduced to 75%.
Rank 2 : You have access to overcharge (still SCU model). 80% health.
Rank 3 : You have access to all tech suites. Full health.
Rank 4 : You have access to a real ACU model, with all gun upgrades (including torpedoes)
Rank 5 : You have access to all upgrades.
Rank 6 : Starting from there, you can buy heath & regeneration upgrades (limited by rank) up to 150%.

Each rank give you a bigger blast radius/damage, with a really big one for rank 7/8 (maybe even bigger than a nuke visually).

In parallel :
Rank 1 to 3 don't have access to quantum gateways or experimentals.
You start with a smaller unit limit (from 250 to 1000 at rank 5). Probably more cosmetic than restrictive.

Gameplay wise, it make ranking up even more important. It also make suicidal players rather inefficients.
Of course, ranking up from 1 to 2 will be cheaper enough to be rather fast.

Thoughts ?
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Re: ACU and ranking.

Postby Nombringer » 29 May 2013, 10:39

Fine in team games, but I can imagine it being frustrating in 1v1. Many make the penalty for a lower rank slightly less severe.

This system is great for 10x10 and 20x20 team games. But for 5x5 1v1s It could mean an auto loss, which I don't think anyone wants.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby Nombringer » 29 May 2013, 10:41

Also if we are going completely the route you mentioned.

Although this sounds contradictory to what I said before, you can do something like upgrades at the start of the match, or timed upgrades, similar to reinforcement.

Eg, Free gun upgrade the activeates 10 minuetes in.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 May 2013, 10:43

Nombringer wrote:Fine in team games, but I can imagine it being frustrating in 1v1. Many make the penalty for a lower rank slightly less severe.

This system is great for 10x10 and 20x20 team games. But for 5x5 1v1s It could mean an auto loss, which I don't think anyone wants.

No one force you to play a 5x5 game at rank 1 VS a rank 5 :)

I want to make the ACU as fragile and precious as possible. Right now, people are still going straight into enemy territory with their ACU.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby ColonelSheppard » 29 May 2013, 10:52

ok Problem:
7500 hp Cybran commander vs 12000 HP UEF commander
great, one imbalanced gmae more

sorry but that would just be anoying
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 May 2013, 10:56

What ?

You are talking of a rank 1 ACU versus a rank 5 ACU. Silly.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby FunkOff » 29 May 2013, 11:00

I don't think that you ideas are necessarily canon.

We do know that in the campaign, lower-ranked commanders get access to few build options. That's one option.
We also know that some get assigned to SCU duty: Rather than fight/attack themselves, they get an SCU and help another commander during a fight.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 May 2013, 11:06

FunkOff wrote:I don't think that you ideas are necessarily canon.

We do know that in the campaign, lower-ranked commanders get access to few build options. That's one option.
We also know that some get assigned to SCU duty: Rather than fight/attack themselves, they get an SCU and help another commander during a fight.

That's what I've described ?
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby ZaphodX » 29 May 2013, 11:15

Obviously it will need playtesting and balancing but sounds good to me.
ZaphodX
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby Nombringer » 29 May 2013, 11:26

It just depends what most of the games will be.

It will be annoying as f*** at the moment, with every game being a 1v1

I think it will be a great change and a completely different story in team games.

EDIT: and large 1v1 maps. The ACU is simply to important of small ones, so the changes effect balance proportionally with map size.

Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to Galactic War