The Anaryl problem

The Anaryl problem

Postby FunkOff » 28 May 2013, 04:57

Anaryl plays UEF and his strategy is pretty simple, and he always does the same thing: He attacks.

1. If Anaryl is not resisted, he will use his attack earnings to attack again, ad infinitum, until he conquers the galaxy.
2. If Anaryl is victorious, he will use his attack earnings to attack again, ad infinitum, until he conquers the galaxy.
3. If Anaryl dies, he will use his free 200 points and his new avatar to attack again.

Anaryl refuses to recall and has made a conscious decision to never leave a battle alive (unless he wins, which is rare).

So, how is one to stop somebody like him? I defend against him constantly but he just keeps coming back. I can't keep track of all the avatars he's sent to their death at my hands, it's too many.

Edit: Now Anaryl has just given up playing entirely and just attacks in gw and goes afk. If he dies, he just attacks again.... he is abusing the free credits lol.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: The Anaryl problem

Postby Ze_PilOt » 28 May 2013, 07:46

I guess we can tweak the death penalty so you don't have any credits left.

Also it's working now that having an higher rank don't give you any advantage, it will not be the case later, so we will see in the beta what is needed for balance.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby pip » 28 May 2013, 08:53

From what you wrote, Anaryl is merely using the current system in the most efficient way. Since there is nothing to gain yet for the ranks except the title, his way is more efficient to actually conquer the galaxy. Once the ranks play a bigger part, he'll adapt.

The ranks should be important enough so that you want to keep your avatar alive, but death should not be so terrible that you don't want to play anymore once your first avatar dies.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby Golol » 28 May 2013, 13:21

how about you just start with 0 credits after each death?
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Koecher » 28 May 2013, 14:39

I think once Ranks matter there is no need for further penalties for dieing.

Might make a difference at which level you died? Like, if you die at Level 5, its already painfull enough. If you die at Level 0, you start with lower credits or get a delay before respawning (a few hours) in addition?
Koecher
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Koecher

Postby Anaryl » 29 May 2013, 17:23

The afk thing is accidental. It's pretty difficult to sit there and watch GW non-stop for hours.

But everything else makes sense. Why recall, when I will have no credits, and if I'm lucky be forced to defend versus Funk or ROCK and if not, I can't do anything.

This is the problem with applying death penalties. You're penalising players for not being as good as others, and you're removing their ability to participate.

As it stands, recall guarantees dead-ending yourself.

until he conquers the galaxy.

This will occur anyways ;)
Anaryl
Banned

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Anaryl

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 May 2013, 17:32

Anaryl wrote:This is the problem with applying death penalties. You're penalising players for not being as good as others, and you're removing their ability to participate.

You are saying that like death is inevitable if you are not good. It's really easy to recall, and it's up to you to evaluate the risks when you spawn.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Anaryl » 29 May 2013, 17:52

Ze_PilOt wrote:
Anaryl wrote:This is the problem with applying death penalties. You're penalising players for not being as good as others, and you're removing their ability to participate.

You are saying that like death is inevitable if you are not good. It's really easy to recall, and it's up to you to evaluate the risks when you spawn.

It's not inevitable, but it's statistically likely. As I said, aside from rank (which is essentially just an ego measurement right now). It makes far more sense at this time to simply continue attacks, at the expense of avatars.
Anaryl
Banned

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 May 2013, 17:56

You are judging the recall function with the current (lack of) features.

It's there because of upcoming features. Ranking will be extremely important.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Anaryl » 29 May 2013, 18:08

Ze_PilOt wrote:You are judging the recall function with the current (lack of) features.

It's there because of upcoming features. Ranking will be extremely important.

No I'm not judging, merely explaining my strategy. I am aware that it will be less efficient as the value of avatars increase. But as it stands, recall leads to a dead end.
Anaryl
Banned

Return to Galactic War