Weekly Update - Week 1.

Weekly Update - Week 1.

Postby Ze_PilOt » 27 Jan 2013, 22:01

I will try to make some weekly update.

This week, I've spend all of my available time to make the survey for donators.
The rewards will be available soon (I still need some answers, and the new avatar system is not in place).

I've also made one the most requested update of the survey (a better tooltip), as it was fast and easy.

On the GW side, as planned, I've merged the galaxy editor with the planet preview. The result will become the Galaxy map display inside the lobby.

Each site of the voronoi is now a planet class, with its boundaries and particularities.
I've added the camera control, and it's behaving as close as possible to FA controls :
Same smoothing, same zoom on cursor (actually, it's not really on cursor, but on a zone determined by the mouse position when you start scrolling).

I've also added a background and multiple layers of stars for a nice parallax effect.
I'm not quite happy with the current result, but there was 0 time spend on the texture themselves, so we will see later if I do something more complex.
All the shaders for the different layers are also ready and correctly applied.

Because of the voronoi implementation, I can now easily get the closest planet to the mouse cursor, so selecting and displaying infos on zones/planets should be trivial from here. The 3d picker from the planet preview is gone, as it's obsolete (and slower) with that new method.

What's left for this week :
- While the zooming is working as expected, I'm not entirely happy with de-zooming. I will spend some time smoothing that.
- I need to implement the right-mouse button for panning (should be trivial, it was done in an earlier test but I need to smooth it), and implement keyboard arrows too.
- The lighting is not done, that's why I'm not showing anything now :)
- I need to draw the planet influences and networks. I've already have all the 2d polygons, I just need to extrude them.

Once it's done, I will give a little preview thingy so you can test and break it :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Re: Weekly Update - Week 1.

Postby Helcaraxe » 27 Jan 2013, 23:32

Thanks for the new tooltips - really useful.
Last edited by Helcaraxe on 29 Jan 2013, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Napalm said: "Oh my god! Another phone call, are you serious? If this is the President again, I'm gonna get mad."
Helcaraxe
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Helcaraxe

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 Jan 2013, 19:18

- While the zooming is working as expected, I'm not entirely happy with de-zooming. I will spend some time smoothing that.
- I need to implement the right-mouse button for panning (should be trivial, it was done in an earlier test but I need to smooth it), and implement keyboard arrows too.
- The lighting is not done, that's why I'm not showing anything now
- I need to draw the planet influences and networks. I've already have all the 2d polygons, I just need to extrude them.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 31 Jan 2013, 00:18

- The lighting is not done, that's why I'm not showing anything now

http://users.edpnet.be/zepilot/gwPreview2.zip
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 01 Feb 2013, 00:12

- Fixed all kind of bug in my matrices computations.
- Fixed the lighting.
- Fixed the specular highlights in the shader.
- You can now add planets by left-clicking (also a proof of concept of the 2d/3d interaction).

By adding the planets, I have the final step required to finish the implementation of the editor, and next update should finally display the planets zones.

http://users.edpnet.be/zepilot/gwPreview3.zip
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 01 Feb 2013, 12:50

- Fixed the little precision problem when you add a planet zoomed out in the corners of the screen.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby discoverer2k4 » 01 Feb 2013, 13:41

:-p

sry for spam ...! :roll: :mrgreen:
gw_pilotrules.jpg
gw_pilotrules.jpg (261.04 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
ranking :
~1500 global / ~1100 ladder
~1100 games / ~ 400 games
discoverer2k4
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: discoverer2k4

Postby Ze_PilOt » 01 Feb 2013, 15:29

The zones limits, before the extruding process :

zones.jpg
zones.jpg (731.74 KiB) Viewed 4571 times

(Of course dynamic if you add/remove planets, that's the whole point of using voronoi sites :)
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Zock » 01 Feb 2013, 17:54

Does that mean we can destroy Planets? 8-)
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby Ze_PilOt » 01 Feb 2013, 17:57

Yes. There will (normally) be several way to win the game. Either by conquering a certain % of the galaxy, or building your faction game ender.
The game ender is not an autowin : ie. you will spend point to fire black sun and destroy any planet in the network..

The positions of the planets will be dumped by the editor, and loaded by the client from the server, allowing me to test any number of planets easily in the alpha stage.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to Galactic War