saving some of Zep's time

saving some of Zep's time

Postby Myxir » 22 Dec 2012, 11:17

as there is no thread to throw in some code zep will probably find useful for the galactic war, i start this one

post your code and a description here (and for what it's useful, if it's not obvious)

gwbuildhook.zip
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

> settings affect all commanders of a faction
> the starting condition of the factions can be different
> prebuilt units have to be enabled

- add engys to your spawning acu
nothing
uef
cybran
aeon
seraphim
own and uef
own and cybran
own and aeon
own and seraphim

- add buildings to your spawning acu
nothing
t1 AA
pgn, radar
landfac
t1 AA, pgn, radar
landfac, t1 AA
landfac, pgn, radar
landfac, t1 AA, pgn, radar

- force faction alliances
( allies you to all commanders of the same faction and makes every other faction your enemy )
true
false

- change civ alliances
( allies civs with all players of the selected faction, ressource sharing is disabled, does not disturb alliance/neutral behaviour towards other factions)
none
Uef
Cybran
Aeon
Seraphim

why is it useful?
i thought it's helpful for setting up games in the galactic war
( faction/civ alliances, prespawn buildings )
and the master-slave system
( engy of a foreign faction )

gwbuildhook_nomads.zip
(3.7 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

this is the extension of the first download, it should work with Nomads aswell
(i can't say for sure, FA didn't let me initialize nomads and this at the same time)
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Re: saving some of Zep's time

Postby Cutter » 28 Dec 2012, 17:34

I'm guessing that all interaction with FA is by using integrated lua? The same system they are going to use with Planetary Annihilation?
Cutter

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Cutterr

Postby Myxir » 29 Dec 2012, 12:56

i'm not sure how PA is going to do it, so i'm just speaking for supcom here

the game supreme commander (and ofc forged alliance) is coded in Lua, the lobby FAF is coded in Python

every change you want to make for the game, like adding units, changing alliances, giving the player a task to do with a limited time, or anything else what's related to the game has to be coded in Lua

the FAF lobby doesn't influence the games directly.
when hosting a new game, the lobby executes a windows command which will start FA with a parameter, this parameter tells FA to load a gamemode like phantomx or nomads.
the game is peer to peer, that means the connection is not running from you to the server anymore, once the game started (while you're in the lobby, the server helps players joining your game).

as you see, the is no way to write the code for galactic war games in anything else than Lua, but it doesn't really matter what language is used for the lobby
thus, every feature GW will bring to the gameplay needs some (working) Lua code, for example forcing faction alliances or prespawn units (like i've submitted), or not yet coded stuff like a survival with a player controlling the streams, or some of the 'crazy ideas' zep mentioned

p.s. in case you worry that you have to set the lobby options every time before playing a GW game, it's not true. don't forget, there's also a way FAF starts ladder games with always the same options (unit limit, civs are enemies, normal gamespeed, ...)
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby Ze_PilOt » 29 Dec 2012, 13:12

To be more technical, the idea is that FAF will write dynamically a lua file that FA will load to get all the parameters correctly. (the same way blackops featured mods can be enabled, but more advanced)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Cutter » 06 Jan 2013, 02:42

From my perspective, depending on how your actually going to be doing the galaxy map compared to actual battles on the planets (whether you keep them separate, and when a battle needs fighting, you just load it up through the command line as stated before), galactic war would not need to be written in lua, and can be written separately like FAF has.

Or am i on completely the wrong track and that this galactic war will have the same time-scale as a normal battle (perhaps an 1-2hours max) and not the same as that community driven example game (where everyone plays on the same map) that is shown?

What im asking is, i would like to help out with this project, but if it is going to be written in LUA i cannot offer my help as i have no knowledge of it currently and unlikely to have enough time to learn LUA in preparation. Any definite answer?
Cutter

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Cutterr

Postby Ze_PilOt » 06 Jan 2013, 04:14

Two different part : The risk-like board (the galaxy) and the dice part (playing FA).

Most of the work will have to be on FA mods to make the game interesting and various. So yes, LUA.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Return to Galactic War