Ask your questions !

Ask your questions !

Postby Ze_PilOt » 20 Dec 2012, 11:22

Hi,

It's way too soon to take any user idea or request, but it's the right time to ask questions if there is something that you don't understand or worries you !

So post all your questions and I will do my best to answer them !
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Re: Ask your questions !

Postby Argor » 20 Dec 2012, 13:15

Here's my honest opinion: What FA probably needs the most is an all new connection code.

Games takes ages to get going, people gets disconnected or can't even connect, and, and.. AND I GET MAAADD!

Edit: Perhaps I should elaborate. It can takes ages to get a game going. especially with many players.
And when the game finally starts, there's an unfair chance or disconnects and desyncs.

This is infuriating and gretly diminishes the fun of FAF. It's nearle a gamestopper. How I'd love to log on to GW and have a game start quickly, no connection problems. no needing to understand NAS in order to be able to play. No sleeping hosts. no hassle, just playing! ♥ ^__^
Last edited by Argor on 20 Dec 2012, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Argor
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Argor

Postby Ze_PilOt » 20 Dec 2012, 13:21

Fix your connection (read the wiki).
FA protocol can't be change, but it works. Problem is on your side.
You are completely off-topic.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby ColonelSheppard » 20 Dec 2012, 13:34

how do you want to handle the "wars"?

as faction wars or as free formed group wars

and how do you want to handle the single battles?

more like matchmaking system or more like "if nobody of the factions is there play vs. KI simple?
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Softly » 20 Dec 2012, 13:59

A less buggy lobby would be nice. I'll start posting logs every time it crashes. Its the forever logs you need for a lobby crash right?
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Myxir » 20 Dec 2012, 14:08

- how many planets are planned?
- how many of them build a sector?
- can planets influence multiple sectors?
- will the sectors be more or less equal important, or some just barely while some are very important?

- will planets which enable gating to other sectors be rare?
- are always 2 planets linked (for gating) or is there a network (having one of those enables gating to a number of differen planets) ?

- how many maps are assigned to a planet?
- will terrain similarities/differences be considered in the assignment of these? (like desert, grass, red stone, water, ...)
- will all maps of a planet have to be played, or let's say just 3 of 8 ?
-- who decides which maps are to be played? random or maybe the attacking faction?
- how is decided what gametype the players have to play? (like KingOTHill, CivDef)

- are the Nomads going to join the galactic war?
(maybe without gating technologies, according to their description)

- is it possible to balance the playerbase for each faction?

- will there be sort of a ranking for players within a faction? like solider, commander, elite commander, ...
- how are players divided into these ranks? by winning/playing/rating?

- you said something about the master-slave system:
-- how long (maximum) is one faction a slave-faction?
-- do all commanders of the master-faction get the slave-faction technologies? or maybe just players of a certain rank (if something like this will come)
-- does only the ACU/SCU have the ability to build factories of the slave-faction? or every single engy? or can cybran facs build auroras?

guess that's alot to answer :)
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby Ze_PilOt » 20 Dec 2012, 14:41

ColonelSheppard wrote:how do you want to handle the "wars"?

as faction wars or as free formed group wars

Factions.

ColonelSheppard wrote:and how do you want to handle the single battles?
more like matchmaking system or more like "if nobody of the factions is there play vs. KI simple?

Depend of the type of game you want to play. It will probably be never a matchmaker, as it's up to you to decide to attack or defend a planet.
If several players want to attack/defend, it will either be a teamgame or a selection based on the highest balanced game.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 20 Dec 2012, 14:42

DilliDalli wrote:A less buggy lobby would be nice. I'll start posting logs every time it crashes. Its the forever logs you need for a lobby crash right?

It won't help me. As I've said 100000 times, I need step by step instructions to produce the bug for sure.

I'm not planning to work on that at all unless someone tell me once and for all what the bug really is.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 20 Dec 2012, 14:56

Myxir wrote:- how many planets are planned?
- how many of them build a sector?

Will depend of the alpha stage. There is no magic number yet.

Myxir wrote:- can planets influence multiple sectors?

Probably no overlap at first.

Myxir wrote:- will the sectors be more or less equal important, or some just barely while some are very important?

Some will be more important in size and/or in situation. It can be small but very interesting because it lead to a sector important to win the war, or the planet in it have interesting bonuses for your factions.

Myxir wrote:- will planets which enable gating to other sectors be rare?

Yes, but there will be multiple way to enter a sector. The idea is that you can completely lock a sector but it will be hard.

Myxir wrote:- are always 2 planets linked (for gating) or is there a network (having one of those enables gating to a number of differen planets) ?

For now it will only be links between planets.
But a single planet can be linked to any number of neighbors, but not all of them.
Maybe long-ranged gateway can be introduced at some point.

Myxir wrote:- how many maps are assigned to a planet?

No magic number yet. Probably three to begin with.

Myxir wrote:- will terrain similarities/differences be considered in the assignment of these? (like desert, grass, red stone, water, ...)

There will be themed planets. But not all of them. (think of earth : many environment)

Myxir wrote:- will all maps of a planet have to be played, or let's say just 3 of 8 ?

No. It will be a % of control by a faction. You gain % by winning maps, but it can always be the same.

Myxir wrote:-- who decides which maps are to be played? random or maybe the attacking faction?

The attacking players, and the defense/attack bonuses.

Myxir wrote:- how is decided what gametype the players have to play? (like KingOTHill, CivDef)

Pre-determined or decided by defense/attack bonuses. Probably some random events too.

Myxir wrote:- are the Nomads going to join the galactic war?

I think there is a big hint somewhere around this forum :)

Myxir wrote:- is it possible to balance the playerbase for each faction?

No, and it's not the goal. I'm not aiming for balance but fun. Also the gametype can be various enough so each type of player can find it interesting.

Myxir wrote:- will there be sort of a ranking for players within a faction? like solider, commander, elite commander, ...

Indirectly : The more you win, the more credits/points you have. These points will allow you to take decision that will influence your whole faction.

Myxir wrote:- you said something about the master-slave system:
-- how long (maximum) is one faction a slave-faction?

Until the game is over and a new one starts. Maybe there will be some random event to give the opportunity to win your home planet back, but nothing decided yet.

Myxir wrote:-- do all commanders of the master-faction get the slave-faction technologies? or maybe just players of a certain rank (if something like this will come)

Everybody. But you will have to spend some points/credits to spawn with a faction-engy or SCUs or ACU of your choice.

Myxir wrote:-- does only the ACU/SCU have the ability to build factories of the slave-faction? or every single engy? or can cybran facs build auroras?

You will spawn with an engy of the other faction. Maybe at some points you will be able to spend points to get multi-faction factories, but not a first.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby bouznak » 20 Dec 2012, 16:48

Hi !

Will it be an invitation system to invite a friend of the same faction to fight in a 2v2 battle for a planet ?
This feature is very important for me as I usually play with a teamate.

Thank you !
bouznak
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: BC_bouznak

Next

Return to Galactic War