Galactic War is getting made

Re: Galactic War is getting made

Postby Brutus5000 » 23 Oct 2017, 23:42

Yes, map selection is still a thing that needs work.

This is the basic service that needs to be extended: https://github.com/FAForever/gw-backend ... rvice.java

The general idea was the following: We have a bunch of planet attributes
  • private int size;
  • private boolean habitable;
  • private Ground ground;

The size is supposed to match the map size exactly.

The ground should define the main surface on the map. Grounds are based on orbit level (distance between level and sun) and defined in a decision table (best to be opened with camunda modeler)

Right now the following grounds are available (more would be possible, but need a change in decision table)
  • WATER("W", "water"),
  • SOIL("S", "soil"),
  • LAVA("L", "lava"),
  • DESERT("D", "desert"),
  • FROST("F", "frost");

Habitability should have an impact about how many civilians are on the map.

My idea was to build a database table that has maps defined for each of the possible combinations. The map selector service would then take a random map from those that fit the criteria.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby EcoNoob » 25 Oct 2017, 20:28

That sounds like a lot of extra work though, why not save that for a later version? :)
EcoNoob

Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 70 times
FAF User Name: EcoNoob

Postby Brutus5000 » 25 Oct 2017, 22:52

Filling the table is work. The rest is fairly simple.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Brutus5000 » 18 Dec 2017, 00:27

Just a small progress update, since this thread has been quite for such a long time. The backend server is now techically able to talk the new java server using a websocket. It connects and can send a message (and get a response, that the message was not understood). Tiny leaps...
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Brutus5000 » 30 Jan 2018, 01:50

Tiny update:
In a joint effort, Downlord and I could make the FAF client trying to host a basic GW game. Unfortunately the game was stuck on loading due to connection issues somewhere between java server, java client and ICE adapter.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Rogueleader89 » 08 Feb 2018, 01:30

Haven't read through this whole thread but figured I'd pop in with the solution I proposed previously to the uneven player number issue, which is to create a sort of mercenary system where people can team with people of other factions for a small resource cost (payed by the player who will be controlling where the group goes) so long as they don't attack/defend anyplace involving both factions, thus a cybran player and a seraphim player can team together to defend against a UEF incursion. People get to play with their friends at least occasionally while also playing the faction they want. This also solves the old enslavement problem in that you can have those players just become free range mercenaries instead of just joining the team that is already winning. But anyway, I already have a long thread here trying to address the issues of the old GW so I'll try not to go into too much here.

and thanks Lextoc and Brutus for getting this going again, looking forward to it.
Rogueleader89

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: JadeXyan

Postby cataclysm315 » 30 Mar 2018, 18:35

So I've got to say I loved galactic wars in the past and I am really excited for this to come back and don't want the project to die. With Speed2's resignation is the project affected? Is there anything at all I can do to help? I'm not interested in money, just a guy who loves Supreme Commander, loves FAF and wants to learn code more and help in anyway possible.

Cheers,
Cata.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."
cataclysm315
Crusader

Location: United Kingdom, England, Nottinghamshire, Mansfield.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Cataclysm315

Postby Brutus5000 » 02 Apr 2018, 00:27

The project is currently on hold since I am renovating and moving to a different home. I hope to get back on track in May.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 02 Apr 2018, 02:14

Might I be of any assistance in coding/testing?
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby cataclysm315 » 02 Apr 2018, 14:49

Well if theres anything i can do to help in the meantime/when you get back on track please let me know.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."
cataclysm315
Crusader

Location: United Kingdom, England, Nottinghamshire, Mansfield.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Cataclysm315

PreviousNext

Return to Galactic War