Bring back the old Galactic War?

Bring back the old Galactic War?

Postby Birdman » 07 Dec 2015, 01:47

So, I was sitting at home wishing I could play Galactic War, which got me wondering: While Galactic War is getting redesigned, why can't we have the old one still running? I am guessing it has to do with some hardware limitation, but I am still curious.
Birdman

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Birdman

Re: Bring back the old Galactic War?

Postby D4E_Omit » 07 Dec 2015, 08:26

Memory leaks and even without that it was still almost unplayable with the amount of glitches.. I can remember only like 1/3 defends would actually end up in a kind-of working game. :(
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby Iszh » 13 Jun 2016, 14:41

Somehow i played it without problems. A few bugs in interface have been there as you can see in the picture. I just found this picture in my picture folder .... it hurts, i miss those funny circles in universe so much :roll:

GW FAF.jpg
GW FAF.jpg (114.83 KiB) Viewed 8496 times
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby D4E_Omit » 13 Jun 2016, 17:41

Oh yes, the memories. Galactic war would bring me straight back to nolifing this game, there's something thats so fun about not know who/what you're going to be up against :D . I'm sure many people feel the same.

And the glory days when there was no autorecall :P
D4E_Omit

Postby Iszh » 16 Jul 2016, 22:15

I wonder why people complained so much about auto recall you got even more points when enemy used autorecall than a kill would give you. If you killed an acu it was not so useful. The introduction of autorecall was bad for the own team when noobs started to use autorecall with level 1 or level 2 chars and presented the enemy hundrets of points for reinforcements with it. I think that was a nice system. Everything there was nice.
Iszh
Evaluator

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 126 times
FAF User Name: Iszh

Postby speed2 » 16 Jul 2016, 22:32

Current GW code it totally not compatible with rewritten server code. So dont expect GW anytime soon. Sorry.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby ZLO_RD » 16 Jul 2016, 22:42

Iszh wrote:I wonder why people complained so much about auto recall you got even more points when enemy used autorecall than a kill would give you. If you killed an acu it was not so useful. The introduction of autorecall was bad for the own team when noobs started to use autorecall with level 1 or level 2 chars and presented the enemy hundrets of points for reinforcements with it. I think that was a nice system. Everything there was nice.

You actually described what exactly is wrong with autorecall. People know that they can't die, so they don't care and suicide every time, because they dont know that they give opponent TONS of points.
Also imho it should be something like 'second chance' thingy, single or maybe double use but not disposable like when you just buy new one every time, as if it cost nothing. Auto recall should be very limited thing, new player should get fixed amount of autorecalls, very high rank players may have access to buy more but should have trouble buying autorecalls.

Btw bring back gw, don't care how broken it is.
If it will be there with big huge red 'BETA' text
Maybe it will attract more contributors.
Memory leak issue? Well idk how we managed it before afaik just restarting every X hours should work

Just read what speed posted, well shit
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby D4E_Omit » 16 Jul 2016, 22:46

Iszh wrote:I wonder why people complained so much about auto recall you got even more points when enemy used autorecall than a kill would give you. If you killed an acu it was not so useful. The introduction of autorecall was bad for the own team when noobs started to use autorecall with level 1 or level 2 chars and presented the enemy hundrets of points for reinforcements with it. I think that was a nice system. Everything there was nice.

There was just no satisfaction of permanently killing those rank 4+ people who won so many games already on that char. Also because you'd never lose rank there were way too many people who could call in reinforcements, and you never really had to play cautiously because there was only 10% influence of a planet at stake. Instead of their entire character.

That sad feeling when you realise zep said GW would be back around jan 2015 :(

Edit: just looked at that screenshot, totally forgot about those planetary defenses, they were so stupid :P
D4E_Omit

Postby Hawkei » 17 Jul 2016, 05:46

D4E_Omit wrote:

There was just no satisfaction of permanently killing those rank 4+ people who won so many games already on that char. Also because you'd never lose rank there were way too many people who could call in reinforcements, and you never really had to play cautiously because there was only 10% influence of a planet at stake. Instead of their entire character.

That sad feeling when you realise zep said GW would be back around jan 2015 :(

Edit: just looked at that screenshot, totally forgot about those planetary defenses, they were so stupid :P

Nah mate. Planetary defences were cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcoQdzhuEUk
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Return to Galactic War