Galactic War 2.0

Galactic War 2.0

Postby IceDreamer » 20 Aug 2015, 16:46

So, a bit of a status update. Sheeo, feel free to jump in and edit this if I get something a little wrong.

Much as I might love to just re-establish the old version, current opinion is that the code is such a train wreck it is simply unsustainable. For the next version, some people wanted to move away from the turn based, charging gameplay to one with persistent game worlds. That, however, will take some serious work and a fair bit of hacking.

I jumped in and proposed I take over the project, and begin work on a stop-gap, an enhanced GW reprogrammed from the ground up. I have ideas I'll post somewhere once I get some responses. Coding wise, this will push me to the limit. I'm sure Sheeo ans ckitching will keep an eye on me, but if you can program, especially in python, and want to help, I could totally use you. If you want to help in other ways, there is plenty to do in other places, or just giving ideas.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I1g ... sp=sharing
Last edited by IceDreamer on 21 Aug 2015, 13:03, edited 2 times in total.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Galactic War 2.0

Postby FunkOff » 20 Aug 2015, 21:55

Hmm. Someone is taking charge of this? I like. I would love nothing more than the play GW some more. Let's use the old one as a learning experience:

What the old GW did right:
- Persistent ranks/characters
- Meaningful death
- Reinforcements
- Large galaxy with connected planets
- Recall

What old GW did wrong:
- Takes too long to conquer planets.
- Lots of sitting around waiting against AFK enemies
- Didn't stick to canon

What new GW needs to add:
- Rework of incentives
- Improvements to reinforcements
- Better defender advantage
- Less waiting around
- More kinds of missions than "kill the enemy players"
- Three or four-way

Suggestions for minor improvements:
- Give defending players starting structures/bases depending on how long that planet was held before.
- Make reinforcements spawn via gate, not via transport
- Limit player movement: Force them to pick a planet to fight on. Moving between planets, even friendly ones, requires use of gating ability.
- Limit war pace through gating: Possible example being, 2 gates per planet, a gate can only launch 1 attack or recall per hour. If you attack and then lose/recall, you can't attack until those gates recharge again (but the enemy can use their planet's gates to attack you while your gates recharge)
- etc
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby IceDreamer » 20 Aug 2015, 22:25

So FunkOff, yes I'm taking charge. I'll need help with the code, but I can do some, and I'll organise anyone else who wants to help etc. In france right now, back to civilisation 6th september, so then I can get going a bit.

You'll be very glad to know that the stuff I put together in my notebook the past few nights addresses nearly Every. Single. One. Of your suggestions and concerns, plus some more ideas of my own :D

I'll post, or google doc, or something when I can find some wifi not just 3G
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Exotic_Retard » 21 Aug 2015, 01:24

nice to see this being worked on

i can help with ideas and text and art if you like but my coding is severely limited

and idea id like is to have far fewer planets, and instead allow multiple battles to proceed on one planet at the same time.

each victory gives % control to a faction, and you could have things like calling for reinforcements for planets instead of just 1 team vs 1 team for 5 hours like it is(was) now

also this lets you give more meaning to planets rather than just 999 identical blips, a simpler map lets you hand-make the galaxy creating areas of strategic interest, such as many gate links, ect.

also things like nebulas would be cool - where you can't see who owns a planet, only how much you own of it. or things like a hidden area where you don't know where the planets are, only adjacent gate links.

maybe these should be default and you require to invest money into intel - like scouting planets or building radar things on allied ones.

in any case id be glad to help out how i can
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby IceDreamer » 21 Aug 2015, 12:29

I'm about to edit the OP with a link to a public Google Docs page, which will be editable by all.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby speed2 » 21 Aug 2015, 12:46

Create base templates on some maps in middle or corner of the map that would be AI sending attacks on all players to spice things up?
Faction could be changing easily since its just one letter in unit ID.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Legion Darrath » 21 Aug 2015, 14:25

Make some planets use mods that add a unique unit for example for that planet (for example) for flavour/roleplay reasons. this could also be used to create unique victory conditions etc. LabWars would be excellent for this ;)
Legion Darrath
Evaluator

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 117 times
FAF User Name: Legion_Darrath

Postby IceDreamer » 21 Aug 2015, 14:32

Great idea, go stick it in the google doc :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby FunkOff » 21 Aug 2015, 20:47

New idea:
- Assuming the map allows it: Enable AI allies to assist in battle. Example:1 player + reinforcements against 1 player + 1 AI would make for an interesting battle.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby D4E_Omit » 21 Aug 2015, 20:53

I'd say being able to get assistance from ai commander is a bit too much.. But I suppose if enough people like it it can be added. (and if it's even possible)
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Next

Return to Galactic War