Galactic War 2.0

Re: Galactic War 2.0

Postby Sir Prize » 09 Jan 2016, 05:15

I assume that's aimed at me.

Sir Prize wrote:There's demand for GW of pretty (much) any description... it will be... used.

Typos, sure, but exaggerating demand? Come on Brian. I never had you down as a nice kid, but you at least like to present yourself as a smart kid who reads others' posts ;)

For what it's worth, I think there is pretty reasonable demand. From what I've seen people are still talking about it in here, in #aeolus and on voice chat well over a year after the last GW season. The gist of it, repeatedly, is "just stick up the old code, even if it's buggy, I'd still play it", which apparently isn't possible until the server is sorted.

FAF also accepted thousands of dollars to specifically to implement GW, so the devs and visionik have, at the very least, a moral responsibility to have something up that is playable. I'm clearly not in favour of dropping everything to reinvent the wheel and put 200 hours in to it, just do something simple and improve it if needed.
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Sir-Prize

Postby briang » 09 Jan 2016, 05:23

I could care less about any typos as long as I can understand the post nor have I ever complained about typos from you. Does not quoting what I am responding to when it is blatantly obvious qualify me as unintelligent? I have not seen such demand for GW in aeolus at all, in fact the very limited activity on this thread is the extent of what I have seen and I spend much more time logged onto FAF itself than you do (not to mention at times where there are 3-4x as many players online). If you took a poll on FAF and asked people whether they wanted to see

Improved Ladder
Team-game Matchmaker
Revamped Rating System
Improving the FAF Client
or GW

prioritized first, I am confident that the results would unsurprisingly yield favor towards improving the ladder or the client followed by a matchmaker and GW and a replacement for Trueskill bringing up the rear. (Quietly suggesting such a poll)
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby Sir Prize » 09 Jan 2016, 06:14

Off topic:

Spoiler: show
It was a (clearly unfunny) joke, not a flame, hence the winky face. You could chill out sometimes :) and I'm sure you're very smart. I was making fun of myself for typing crap, and referring to the last time I remember posting on the forums, when you accused me of not reading your post, when this time you're reading a lot of meaning in to "there is demand" and "it will be used".

I also think a poll might be good, and think GW would do better than team matchmaker, which I actually created this forum account to support but I see less people caring about. I think there's so many good things the devs are working on and you've listed a bunch of things I'd be excited about. But they can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, espcially as a lot of these suggestions (ladder/matchmaker stuff is apparently really easy) are actually really unintensive on the coding, if I remember my last conversation with Sheeo right. They actually need decisions from the community and/or the Council members about what they should be working on. So...

On topic:

When the server is done, I think something really basic and un-complicated to code should be implemented, and finetuned later depending on what the community wants worked on and what devs want to, or can, work on.
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Sir-Prize

Postby FunkOff » 10 Jan 2016, 15:01

Blodir wrote:
FunkOff wrote:

This whole document is terrible. It literally removes EVERYTHING about GW that was ever good or interesting.

It is not forbidden of you to be a bit more constructive. Maybe its a good idea to do so when you are talking about a controversial topic so that you don't sound like an idiot

Reinforcements, permanent death, and faction based war is what made gw interesting. It made it unlike regular faf, deeper and more strategic.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Postby D4E_Omit » 10 Jan 2016, 15:29

Have to agree with FunkOff, here's what I think:

Clan system - Could be alright if the clans are limited to 1 faction. Would otherwise defeat the point of the factions having war with eachother.

Designated time - I liked always being able to attack, you'd check in the next day and see what happened when you were gone. Also this would be a pain for AU/US players since it'd most likely be EU timezone centered.

Cap to amount in clan - Ofcourse, otherwise you'd have 1 clan with 30 people which would wreck everybody

Remove rank system - Uhm.. No? This is why GW is so interesting? It gives meaning to death, unlike losing a few meaningless points on ranked ladder.

Home Planet - I think this would be a nice idea but it should be capturable, maybe they can make it so that if home planet is lost you have to pay like 25% more for reinforcements. Or auto-recall stops working if autorecall doesnt get scrapped.

GW Won by 50% - If there would be clans then 50% is nice but if the faction system stays (which I prefer) I think 75% or 85% is better. I can remember UEF having to grind just to get those last planets converted, which is pointless.
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby D4E_Omit » 10 Jan 2016, 15:34

briang wrote:I could care less about any typos as long as I can understand the post nor have I ever complained about typos from you. Does not quoting what I am responding to when it is blatantly obvious qualify me as unintelligent? I have not seen such demand for GW in aeolus at all, in fact the very limited activity on this thread is the extent of what I have seen and I spend much more time logged onto FAF itself than you do (not to mention at times where there are 3-4x as many players online). If you took a poll on FAF and asked people whether they wanted to see

Improved Ladder
Team-game Matchmaker
Revamped Rating System
Improving the FAF Client
or GW

prioritized first, I am confident that the results would unsurprisingly yield favor towards improving the ladder or the client followed by a matchmaker and GW and a replacement for Trueskill bringing up the rear. (Quietly suggesting such a poll)

Improved Ladder - Doesnt attract new players
Team-game Matchmaker - Doesnt attract new players
Revamped Rating System - Doesnt attract new players
Improving FAF Client - Doesnt attract new players
Galactic war - Will most likely attract new players

See where I'm going? I stopped playing this game, but I will certainly revisit it if galactic war made a return. There was a UEF clan with like 25 players and a good few of them stopped playing after GW stopped. And that's only a few people I know about that stopped. Galactic war will help grow the player base, which is definitely required to increase longevity of an old game.
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby Exotic_Retard » 10 Jan 2016, 15:47

to me gw was incredibly fun even in its unfinished, buggy, imba state. Here are some things i noticed that i liked about it:

1. it was kinda like a casual matchmaker - which is what this community has been missing since forever
2. it let noobs play with pros and even encouraged it - i remember many fun games with funkoff where he would tell me what to do, ect
3. reinforcements are indeed fun, but in their state they were not super balanced. (that 3 min loyalist xD) still was cool to get these things
4. perma death was a cool thing too since you needed to be careful with your acu or buy expensive recall things
5.you really felt like you were part of something - always plotting for some capture in your faction chat and stuff - would be epic to see that expanded - with generals in the faction being able to set chat topic and the faction intel page finished.
6. i also liked that anyone could do things - if you were some noob then you could get given reinforcements and stuff - you were not limited by some artifical wall put in place to "make it more interesting"

hope this helps
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby briang » 10 Jan 2016, 17:30

GW won't attract shit dude. Are you kidding me? We don't have advertising or anything even close. There isn't ANYTHING we can do short of an ad campaign to attract new players and to be honest we don't need them. We broke the record for online users literally yesterday. The most important thing for us is to keep our active players around. And while GW can help there, improvements in ranked play overall are much more important.
Last edited by briang on 11 Jan 2016, 03:27, edited 2 times in total.
Ninrai 2015- briang is usually an aggressive d****e
briang
Spammer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: YouLikeThat

Postby speed2 » 10 Jan 2016, 17:37

You cant attract people on non existing feature :D so first GW needs to be done and then thousands of players will come to play.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Rudolph'sRedNose » 10 Jan 2016, 17:45

briang wrote:GW won't attract shit dude. Are you kidding me? We don't have advertising or anything even close. There isn't ANYTHING we can do short of an ad campaign to attract new players and to be honest we don't need them. We broke the record for online users literally yesterday. The most important thing for us is to keep our active players around. And while GW can help there, improvements in ranked play overall are much more important.

Deliberate bullshit? If you were given an enema you could be buried in a matchbox.
Rudolph'sRedNose

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times

PreviousNext

Return to Galactic War