AI update

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: AI update

Postby xermit » 03 Oct 2016, 12:03

Sprouto wrote:If you drop me a PM with your email address, I'll forward you the installer which will get you going.

Our installer will allow you to keep your existing installation with all your existing mods - and install LOUD independantly, with the ability to switch back and forth as needed.

Thanks! But PM seem to be stuck in Outbox folder =/ posting e-mail here is ok?
xermit

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: xermit

Postby speed2 » 03 Oct 2016, 12:08

xermit wrote:
Sprouto wrote:If you drop me a PM with your email address, I'll forward you the installer which will get you going.

Our installer will allow you to keep your existing installation with all your existing mods - and install LOUD independantly, with the ability to switch back and forth as needed.

Thanks! But PM seem to be stuck in Outbox folder =/ posting e-mail here is ok?

That means he didn't read the PM yet.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Sprouto » 03 Oct 2016, 17:29

But I've got it now. Sorry for the delay. For anyone else who may be interested in the LOUD project, here is a Dropbox link to the installer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y767u0zr4qqlu ... r.exe?dl=0

The LOUD project is a wholesale replacement of the AI in Forged Alliance and as such, is incompatible with the existing game. The installer will create a seperate installation alongside your current FA installation so that you can keep your existing installation and have LOUD as well. I have no doubt there will be many questions, so feel free to ask.
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby xermit » 03 Oct 2016, 20:46

Sprouto wrote:But I've got it now. Sorry for the delay. For anyone else who may be interested in the LOUD project, here is a Dropbox link to the installer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y767u0zr4qqlu ... r.exe?dl=0

The LOUD project is a wholesale replacement of the AI in Forged Alliance and as such, is incompatible with the existing game. The installer will create a seperate installation alongside your current FA installation so that you can keep your existing installation and have LOUD as well. I have no doubt there will be many questions, so feel free to ask.

Thanks! Downloading now.
xermit

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: xermit

Postby Krapougnak » 05 Oct 2016, 15:49

Hi Sprouto,

Does this mean this is a completely new installer since the last time I tried LOUD AI (january 2016) ? The need to rename all existing files was a bit deterring then.
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Postby Sprouto » 05 Oct 2016, 20:23

Yes indeed sir - we took your comments to heart and made the installer aware enough to handle all the shuffling itself -- and be aware of which installation was the current one.
Sprouto
Priest

Postby Krapougnak » 06 Oct 2016, 11:12

Cool ! I have downloaded the installer and will try the new version of LOUD AI as soon as I can.
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Postby Sprouto » 06 Oct 2016, 21:37

Thanks K;

Your input and commentary has always been valued -- looking forward to it.
Sprouto
Priest

Postby Professor » 07 Oct 2016, 01:07

I downloaded LOUD the other day and got it installed, unfortunately I didn't have much time to play it but from the brief look I got it seems to be more than just better AI. What other changes does it make?
Professor
Crusader

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: ProfessorJ69

Postby Sprouto » 07 Oct 2016, 03:37

I'll try to be short.

It started more than 3 years ago - firstly to just make the AI better.

Along the way, it was clear that the performance issues in the game, and the AI were all intertwined. There were thousands of tiny optimizations and clean ups that resulted in a much tighter core code -- not just for the AI but the entire game. Lots of extraneous (unused) code and data was removed and reworked. Many of the units had either wrong or unused categorizations that needed to be corrected or removed, or were able to benefit from simplifications in their blueprints. That in turn led to an examination of the maps and how the AI interacts with the markers, and the pathfinding issues for the AI, which in turn led to re-marking most of the maps that come with LOUD. Long story short, in the end, almost everything got looked at. That's essentially why it's not just a mod, but a complete stand-alone package.

Now, without too much effort, you really can play a 5000 unit game on 40km maps and not have to worry about slowdowns against an AI, that, on many days, will really put you to the test. Is it a personal effort ? Mostly - and yes, you will find lots of changes in the game, slight differences in the units and structures, and carefully selected pieces of our favorite mods to incorporate into it. We're still looking for more - and obviously some practical input from others - but it's pretty much mature now. We're convinced it's not only a better AI, but a much better performing game, with a much tighter balance that supports all styles of gameplay.

It's not aimed at the 5km or 10km short game, but for the larger longer epic games where anything and everything can come into play. Try it out. Please.
Sprouto
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors