I would like to become a caster

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

I would like to become a caster

Postby jbplays » 30 Dec 2018, 06:08

I would like to become a caster Like Gyle, but live games like T90 does for AoE2. I am hoping to cast live games either live on Twitch and or have them uploaded on YouTube
jbplays

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: jjcm0512

Re: I would like to become a caster

Postby Uveso » 30 Dec 2018, 08:01

Hello jbplays,

welcome to FAForever!

And good luck for your project.
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby jbplays » 30 Dec 2018, 10:12

Thank you Uveso!!

Who would I talk to for tournaments?

I have no idea what forum topic to post this under. Thanks!
jbplays

Postby PhilipJFry » 30 Dec 2018, 10:18

Hello jbplays!

What do you mean with "for tournaments"?

If you want to host a tournament then it would be best to talk to the Player Councilor (FTXCommando)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Uveso » 30 Dec 2018, 10:25

Fist you could visit the tournament sub forum here:
http://forums.faforever.com/viewforum.php?f=26

If you see a actual tournament just post there that you want to live comment it on twitch.
Maybe the host will allow it.

Or post your own topic/request.
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby ZLO_RD » 30 Dec 2018, 12:40

it is annoying to reupload your stuff on youtube... you can just stream on youtube and stuff is going to be on your channel automaticly.
also if you are streaming on video card you can use higher bitrates on youtube
but ofc that depends on your hardware, internet speed, HDD space, free time and other factors.

anyway good luck, i will probably follow your stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby jbplays » 30 Dec 2018, 13:33

Wow thank you Zlo. That means a lot coming from a top player as yourself. At first I was tossed between wanting to cast and being good enough to be in a game that gets cast currently I’m not playing 1v1s only multiplayer matches. Getting a tad bit better, but I will keep looking at this forum daily and keep an eye on the tournaments and see what’s upcoming or not.
jbplays

Postby MrTBSC » 05 Oct 2019, 08:58

Cruikequakini wrote:Seriously!

yea, seriously ... nice necro, dude
MrTBSC

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Mr.TBSC

Postby armacham01 » 05 Oct 2019, 11:27

That's great, we can use more casters to bring the hype.

Most casters either cast themselves playing live, or they cast games from the replay vault (which are of course, not live, but they might be recent games).

There are some games that get casted live by observers, such as certain tournaments, but mostly that only works for 1v1 tournaments. The problem is, if observers are allowed (so you can join the game while it is live and watch) then dead players become "observers," which means they get to see everything and the temptation of "dead" players to cheat (by telling their teammates on voice chat what is happening) would be too great. (And even if they don't, the suspicion that they MIGHT be doing that would ruin things.)

That is why tournament games usually get casted after-the-fact. (Again, not necessarily long after the fact. It could be 5 minutes after the game ends.)

If it is specifically important to you to cast live games, the questions would be whether you want to cast seriously competitive games, in which case, you probably have to cast 1v1s, because of what I said earlier. And these would be custom 1v1 games, not ladder matches (because ladder matches don't have observers). If you ask around on aeolus, you can probably find a high-level player willing to let you spectate a custom 1v1. There are often high-level custom 1v1 games going. If you see a game in the lobby like "1v1 1900+" feel free to join the game and ask the players if they will let you live cast it.

Or if you want to cast something like a fun team game, like 500-rated Astro Craters, maybe people would let you be an observer even though it would mean that dead players can see everything. I don't think most 500-rated players are concerned that the dead players might get on voice chat and tell their teammates what is happening.

I think one reason casters prefer games from the vault, to live games, is that they can be more sure the game is high quality before they commit to casting it. Also, there is no worry about internet connection issues between the players if you are casting a game from a replay.

And you don't have all of the same information when you are observing a live game (it's not going to show the scoreboard showing how much mass income each player has)

So if you want to get started, I would suggest broadcasting yourself watching a replay and commenting on it (like gyle does).

Do you have an idea of what kind of games you want to cast? High-level ladder matches? Team games?

If you don't already know how, you should learn how to use the replay vault so you can search for certain types of games (games involving certain players, certain maps, high-rated players, etc). And you can also ask people to send you games to cast.

RTS are competitive and there are definitely skill differences in players. Some people are more polite about this than others. If you do start casting games, and you're not "pro-level," some people might make fun of you for having misconceptions about the game. Gyle is pretty knowledgeable, but there are people who make fun of him when he says something they disagree with--so you can expect that people will poke fun at you. That is just an "occupational hazard" of casting (or: of playing). You should probably just ignore the haters. I'm sure you can create great content by casting fun games, even if you're not a top-level player, and that can help to bring more people to the game.

You should use the Supreme Score Board mod. Otherwise, I don't think you need any particular mods in order to cast games.

And of course you should familiarize yourself with the options you have while you are watching a replay (split screen, switching to the view of one of the players, showing total mass, reclaim, power numbers by clicking on the scoreboard, and using SPACE BAR to change perspective sometimes).
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Return to Contributors