FAF Client Pull Requests

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

FAF Client Pull Requests

Postby Softly » 13 Jun 2016, 21:27

Just wondering what timescales we're dealing with on getting these looked at. We've got a bunch of PRs more than a month old (and one that is 7 months old :( ), and if there is something blocking their progress I'd like to see if I can help with it.

I already asked on GitHub a couple of times and haven't had any replies, but maybe more people check the forums :)

Also for anyone wondering how to get involved in coding for FAF, I recommend checking out: http://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?tit ... ent_School
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Re: FAF Client Pull Requests

Postby Softly » 03 Jul 2016, 19:37

It seems Crotalus (father of mex happiness) has 12 PRs going stale on the game repo (as well as 4 PRs on the client, 2 on the server), which doesn't seem right. Is there a particular reason for the delays? My coloured clan tag PR is still waiting too, that's nearly at 8 months.

If there was a clear pathway for getting contributions into the codebase that would be nice, especially if it could scale to accommodate new (or any) contributors as they come along. The last thing we want is for people to think they can't contribute.

Replies welcome, even if its just to let me know that people bother to read the contributors forum.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Sheeo » 03 Jul 2016, 22:10

Client PR's are currently awaiting me to merge them.

We do read your messages here.
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby ckitching » 03 Jul 2016, 23:24

Most of the development discussions take place on Slack. There are few of us that have the experience necessary to do reviews.
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

Postby Softly » 04 Jul 2016, 00:10

It is my fervently held belief that the reason there is few people to do stuff, is because we're collectively doing a bad job of getting people involved. I think this represents a massive opportunity cost.

I am pleasantly surprised people revisited some of my PRs today, although I'm left at the unfortunate conclusion that getting people to look at my work requires me to spend hours in #aeolus explaining exactly where I think we're going wrong on the collaboration front.

Today was a Pyrrhic victory; there has been no change in overall approach, and I don't anticipate the situation improving in the future. I'm always happy to talk to people about how we can work together positively, but I personally don't feel able to make code contributions in the current circumstances. It's just a personal opinion and I'm sure people will disagree, I certainly don't intend to be confrontational or difficult about any of this.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Sheeo » 04 Jul 2016, 01:57

Softly wrote:It is my fervently held belief that the reason there is few people to do stuff, is because we're collectively doing a bad job of getting people involved. I think this represents a massive opportunity cost.

I am pleasantly surprised people revisited some of my PRs today, although I'm left at the unfortunate conclusion that getting people to look at my work requires me to spend hours in #aeolus explaining exactly where I think we're going wrong on the collaboration front.

Today was a Pyrrhic victory; there has been no change in overall approach, and I don't anticipate the situation improving in the future. I'm always happy to talk to people about how we can work together positively, but I personally don't feel able to make code contributions in the current circumstances. It's just a personal opinion and I'm sure people will disagree, I certainly don't intend to be confrontational or difficult about any of this.

Your choice.

We're open for discussion as we've always been. Contributors willing to help out are welcome and encouraged to do so, we just require that they actively participate in our development communication channels (slack, github). If you don't feel you can contribute, this is too bad.
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby ckitching » 04 Jul 2016, 02:06

It strikes me as odd that someone who opted to leave Slack (where the bulk of the day-to-day development communication takes place) is now complaining about not being party to the day-to-day development communication.
ckitching

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: ckitching

Postby IceDreamer » 05 Jul 2016, 16:33

I don't think anyone will begrudge me telling you that there are plans for a developer chat thing this Sunday, 8-10PM CEST. You're always welcome to return if you want to chip in to what's going on, have some input.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby snooc » 13 Dec 2016, 16:38

Sheeo wrote:
Softly wrote:It is my fervently held belief that the reason there is few people to do stuff, is because we're collectively doing a bad job of getting people involved. I think this represents a massive opportunity cost.

Your choice.

We're open for discussion as we've always been. Contributors willing to help out are welcome and encouraged to do so, we just require that they actively participate in our development communication channels (slack, github). If you don't feel you can contribute, this is too bad.

How can I get into the Slack channel - been trying for quite a while actually to get an invitation ^^
snooc

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: silentsnooc

Return to Contributors