Unit Manager 2.0 (for FAF Patch 3652)

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Unit Manager 2.0 (for FAF Patch 3652)

Postby HUSSAR » 24 Dec 2015, 03:02

Currently, unit manager for restricting units is a bit limited and it lucks a few features for making FAF game more interesting. Especially for those who wants to test their skills on usage of specific units against humans or AI opponents. That's way I started working on new version of Unit Manager. So far I had good collaboration/ideas from IceDreamer (aka AeonCleanse) and I would like to share status on this project and get feedback from you all as well.

List of features:
- old restrictions presets (no game-enders, no air, no nukes, etc.)
- new restrictions presets (no TMLs, no mobile arty, no engineering stations/drones)
- visualization of restricted units (see gray-out icons)
- visualization of restricted commanders' upgrades
- visualization of units introduced by active mods (e.g. Antares Pack, BlackOps, TotalMayhem)
- grouping units by faction, air, land, navy, eco, support, other
- grouping upgrades by their locations on ACUs and SCUs
- restricting units using restrictions presets
- restricting units by individually selecting them

There a few things that I need to finish and test but I'm making good progress and I would like to get feedback from you all.

If everything goes well, this Unit Manager will be in the 3652 patch or in the next one :D

[EDIT] the new Units Manager has been added to upcoming patch and it is avaivable for testing in FAF beta :)

Here are screenshots of both versions 1.5 and 2.0:
Attachments
unit-manager-v2.0.png
with units restrictions preview (presets temporarily removed)
unit-manager-v2.0.png (588.54 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
unit-manager-v1.5.png
with extended and groupped restrictions presets
unit-manager-v1.5.png (132.36 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
unit-manager-v1.0.png
current/released version (for comparison)
unit-manager-v1.0.png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 7555 times
Last edited by HUSSAR on 14 Apr 2016, 05:06, edited 3 times in total.
FAF Feature - Unit Restriction Manager
HUSSAR

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 59 times
FAF User Name: HUSSAR

Re: Unit Manager 2.0 (for FAF Lobby 3652+)

Postby Myxir » 24 Dec 2015, 11:21

the extended groups look awesome, not so sure about the unit previews though. disabling units but not for all factions might lead to some sort of faction discrimination by the host, and i guess it might cause trouble for new factions like the nomads (hopefully we will see them again in the future)
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby speed2 » 24 Dec 2015, 11:26

One thing if you could solve would be, no nuke restriction will remove seraphim battleship as well. Would there be any way around this?
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Myxir » 24 Dec 2015, 11:30

speed2 wrote:One thing if you could solve would be, no nuke restriction will remove seraphim battleship as well. Would there be any way around this?

might be possible to have a list of special cases, like for this one, which would then just disable the related weapon on the unit
can only guess how much effort it is though as i haven't looked at the code
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby IceDreamer » 25 Dec 2015, 02:47

You just hit disable nukes preset, then UNrestrict the battleship by clicking on it. The idea is to give the maximum possible customization of all units and upgrades. If someone wants to make a totally unfair set of restrictions, that's up to them! :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby HUSSAR » 25 Dec 2015, 03:55

Myxir wrote:
speed2 wrote:One thing if you could solve would be, no nuke restriction will remove seraphim battleship as well. Would there be any way around this?

might be possible to have a list of special cases, like for this one, which would then just disable the related weapon on the unit can only guess how much effort it is though as i haven't looked at the code

Ideally, categories such as nukes, tml, torps, etc. should be defined on weapons and not on units. Then restriction system could lookup these categories and restrict weapons of units if user's restrictions match. Otherwise, you will have to hardcode some special logic to interpret nuke restriction in order to allow Sera Battleship without nuke weapon. Also, the same would apply to t3 strategic subs. Alternatively, we could just allow restriction of weapons the same way we restrict ACUs enhancements (e.g. Billy). That is accomplished by specifying names of enhancements that we want to restrict.

For now, we will keep restriction system simple and allow users to select
IceDreamer wrote:nukes preset, then UN-restrict the battleship by clicking on it...
HUSSAR

Re: Unit Manager 2.0 (for FAF Patch 3652+)

Postby thiextar » 20 Mar 2016, 14:18

just wondering how its going, will this be in 3652 or is it delayed? im gonna have so much use for this since me and my friends enjoy a good ai bashing xD, great work!
thiextar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: thiextar

Postby HUSSAR » 20 Mar 2016, 20:41

thiextar wrote:just wondering how its going, will this be in 3652 or is it delayed? im gonna have so much use for this since me and my friends enjoy a good ai bashing xD, great work!

I'm finishing up some minor UI improvements (most functionality is working) and I'm doing testing in order to make sure this new Unit Manager works with most/all mods.

I attached screenshot of latest UI with all T4 units restricted and one game mod enabled. Note that I added new tooltips for all units and enhancements that show most important stats and values for DPM (damage per mass) and DPS (damage per second) that are more accurate than those stats in-game tooltips.

As to the release, I will do all my best to add it to the 3652 patch but all my changes will need to be approved by main contributors to FAF codebase. I think that it should make it to the 3652 patch or to the 3653 path at the latest.
Attachments
unit-manager-v2.01.png
Latest Unit Manager with unit toolips
unit-manager-v2.01.png (599.93 KiB) Viewed 7221 times
HUSSAR

Postby thiextar » 20 Mar 2016, 22:44

Great to hear! this new unit manager sure looks amazing! cant wait to try it out!
thiextar

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: thiextar

Re: Unit Manager 2.0 (for FAF Patch 3652)

Postby PerfectWay » 15 Apr 2016, 19:02

Excellent work! In addition to the restrictions of units it is also a good way to look the characteristics of units.
Today, I noticed a few issue related to the economic characteristics of the units.
T2 Mass Fabs show "Mass production: 0", but it should be 1
ACUs all faction and SACUs (except Seraphim) also show "Mass production: 0", but it should be 1
PerfectWay
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: LastDragon

Next

Return to Contributors