[Alpha 0.606] FA Forever Map Editor

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: [Alpha 0.514] FA Forever Map Editor

Postby ozonex » 24 Dec 2017, 20:32

Franck83 wrote:Very nice work ozonex if you are adding shader values on your editor.

Please note some remarks about editing shader variables if you want to play with them.

I'm not adding any new values, I'm only cracking unknown bytes of data in existing forged alliance map file. After 10 years still nobody knows what they were, but from now we know what they are and we can use them in new maps.
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby Franck83 » 24 Dec 2017, 20:38

ozonex wrote:
Franck83 wrote:Very nice work ozonex if you are adding shader values on your editor.

Please note some remarks about editing shader variables if you want to play with them.

I'm not adding any new values, I'm only cracking unknown bytes of data in existing forged alliance map file. After 10 years still nobody knows what they were, but from now we know what they are and we can use them in new maps.

Cool !
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby Sprouto » 26 Dec 2017, 00:29

Greetings Ozone - and happy holidays to everyone.

I have some additional questions regarding heightmap exports and imports - and - what is the function of the 'Export in Size' button, and the scale height value ?

I have some maps that have extreme elevations and I'd like to reduce them. Is that possible within the editor ?
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby ozonex » 26 Dec 2017, 00:41

Sprouto wrote:Greetings Ozone - and happy holidays to everyone.

I have some additional questions regarding heightmap exports and imports - and - what is the function of the 'Export in Size' button, and the scale height value ?

I have some maps that have extreme elevations and I'd like to reduce them. Is that possible within the editor ?

Export in size is function that's export height map, but with different width and height. Scale height value will resale heights similar to resolution change.

There are no tools that will clip extreme heights. I can try to think about something for next build.

You can try to use "add height" function or mini/max vales for brush (it clips value if it's over given range). There is bug in brush settings, it don't display text in text fields, but they work. If you select them and input value from keyboard it will work.
ozonex
Priest

Postby Sprouto » 26 Dec 2017, 00:49

Thanks Ozone - no need for any special function. I had assumed that the Export in Size would allow me to export a 513px map to another size but that the scale height value would adjust all the height values. In that way, I would end up with the same heightmap, but all the elevations would be half their normal value (using 0.5).

When I use the Export in Size are there any suggested values ? I assume that the values are in map units (ie. 10km map is 1024) ?

I have tried the Export in Size to generate a heightmap, but when I import that as a heightmap, all the terrain is flattened. I have tried both with the scale function turned on, and off. Same results.
Sprouto
Priest

Postby ozonex » 26 Dec 2017, 09:24

Sprouto wrote:Thanks Ozone - no need for any special function. I had assumed that the Export in Size would allow me to export a 513px map to another size but that the scale height value would adjust all the height values. In that way, I would end up with the same heightmap, but all the elevations would be half their normal value (using 0.5).

When I use the Export in Size are there any suggested values ? I assume that the values are in map units (ie. 10km map is 1024) ?

I have tried the Export in Size to generate a heightmap, but when I import that as a heightmap, all the terrain is flattened. I have tried both with the scale function turned on, and off. Same results.

You are right, exporting with same size but different height multiplier should do it.

Just checked it and its broken in latest release. Nobody used it for a long time. Fixed it and I can send you work in progress build or you can send me map and I will rescale it.
ozonex
Priest

Postby Farmsletje » 26 Dec 2017, 18:05

- When you edit the heightmap whilest having the slope view enabled it only updates the view after you let go of the mouse button (so it doesn't update in real time), which is kinda annoying because you often use the tool to get rid of unpassable areas but now you don't know when you did. The normal editor didn't have this problem.
- You probably know this but the undo option is still quite buggy with its visuals: water textures don't update: https://puu.sh/yLfka/6db399182f.jpg, shadow effects don't update, slope tool effects don't update, etc etc
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Sprouto » 26 Dec 2017, 22:18

ozonex wrote:
You are right, exporting with same size but different height multiplier should do it.

Just checked it and its broken in latest release. Nobody used it for a long time. Fixed it and I can send you work in progress build or you can send me map and I will rescale it.

Thanks ozonex, I'll be patient and wait for the next build. I appreciate you confirming that I'm not quite brain dead yet.
Sprouto
Priest

Postby ozonex » 30 Dec 2017, 10:01

v0.515
- Found all data of Procedural Skybox. v60 scmap is now fully known
- Editor displays skydome of skybox from map. If map is v56 then it displays default skybox
- Removed XZ symmetry (it was the same as rotation with 2 steps)
- Changed symmetry name "X + Z + XZ" to "X + Z"
- "Diagonal + Diagonal" will now create 4 objects instead of 3 (same as "X + Z")
- Added "OnStart(scenario)" to default script
- PlayMap will now also run "ForgedAlliance.exe" (for non steam version)
- Fixed "Set terrain height" heightmap function
- Fixed "Export in size" heightmap function
- UI now restarts when loading other map. Prevent from crash when some menus are open.
- Blank marker, Mass and Hydro markers will now always snap to ground (not at water level)
- Fixed UI bug in water settings
- Editor now regenerate all maps when undoing heightmap change
- Most of map textures are now regenerated in other threads
- Slope is now updated while painting heightmap
- Added map center lines in grid
- Changed behavior of brush in heightmap painting
- Flatten brush is now working (finds average height and moves everything to that height)
- Added new heightmap brush value: target height. It's good for forcing terrain into certain height.
- Removed path text field to textures in decals menu (no need for them, all will be supported by resource browser in future)
- Added names of decal texture channels
- Decal type settings now hide when no decal type selected
- Fixed wrong rotation of symmetrical object when creating new ones (markers, decals)
- Dragging and dropping decal into decals list will now create new decal type or select it if exist. If name contains "normal" then decal type will be set to Normal
- Dragging and dropping decal into gameplay will now create new decal type (if don't exist) and place decal at that position.
- Added specular to terrain shader (From TTerrain shader, still need to support TTerrainXP because its different)
- New cursor icons for dragging decals and props from resource browser
- Added "Keyboard shortcuts" to Help menu

Bug fixing release.

Skybox
All data from procedural skybox are now known. If you want to experiment with it you can download Unity Editor 2017.3 and when you load map in OzoneMapEditor in component ScmapEditor under Map/AdditionalSkyboxData you can find everything. You can change colors, planets, stars, sun, even clouds. No editor for now but I want to add it in future.
Editor also displays skydome with horizon and zenith colors.

Heightmap painting
Lot of changes and fixes in heightmaps. Code of modifying values for all brush types are rewritten and should be more "stable".
Added Flatten brush, that can be used as stronger blur. It found avarage height under brush and move terrain to that height.
Also added Target height value. It's great for changing terrain into certain height (instead of using Min/Max).

Decals
UI of decals has little cleanup. Texture fields has now names what they do for every render type. Also added support for drag/drop from resource browser. Also fixed some small bugs there.

Download
https://github.com/ozonexo3/FAForeverMapEditor/releases/tag/v0.515-alpha

ozonex
Priest

Re: [Alpha 0.515] FA Forever Map Editor

Postby Salustius » 12 Jan 2018, 23:04

Hey Ozonex, I love the editor and I had a small suggestion. I noticed that with the changes between .514 and .515 the needed strength for the blur tool in the height map function has increased dramatically. It would be awesome if you could keep the strength and size settings for each function so you don't have to switch the strength each time you move between Blur and Standard. Thanks for taking the time to make such a great tool.
Salustius

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Salustius

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors