[Alpha 0.606] FA Forever Map Editor

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: [Alpha 0.513] FA Forever Map Editor

Postby speed2 » 19 Dec 2017, 10:50

michips wrote:hi ozonex is it possible to play the live map on fa Map editor directly ? and i dont found how to uplowd my map in the vault :mrgreen:
I would like to test it with real players :D

for uploading the map you need Downlord's client https://www.faforever.com/client
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby ozonex » 19 Dec 2017, 11:41

PandaCuddles wrote:Hi ozonex

Your map editor has become quite awesome! :D

I have some questions though:
    1. How do I delete a prop?
    2. How do I get rid of a texture/clear a layer?
    3. How does the lighting work? The map is very dark when played on FAF and I don't understand what RA, DA and Sun Multiplier do.

And lastly: When I try to use decals, I don't see them rendered when placing and in FAF, it shows missing textures. Any idea what I'm doing wrong/isn't working?

Thank you very much for your work!

I realy need to make wiki page about all that ;)

1. Paint when holding left alt. Left alt in whole editor works as invert.
2. You can just unpaint with left alt or you can enter Textures/Settings and import empty texture using "Import selected stratum mask"
3. Works the same as in official editor. RA and DA is rotation of the sun. Sun multiplier is how bright sun is shining ([suncolor] * [sunmultiplier]). Ambience is additional light applied to everything. Shadowcolor is color of where sun don't shine.
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby PandaCuddles » 19 Dec 2017, 13:03

Thanks, that helped a lot! :)
I'll just keep playing around with the lighting settings. :D
Hello signature
PandaCuddles
Crusader

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: PandaCuddles

Postby ozonex » 19 Dec 2017, 14:57

Thanks to philipjfry I started to work on wiki. Added shortcuts and how to make custom brushes. I will write everything in time.

https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... Map_Editor
ozonex
Priest

Postby PandaCuddles » 19 Dec 2017, 15:23

The decals feature isn't working for me. Here's an image showing the missing decals textures in the game:

I used the ones that are being used in the map TwinRivers to check, if it might be something with some specific decals not working.
The decals show up in real time in the editor itself.

Do you have an idea how to fix this?
Hello signature
PandaCuddles
Crusader

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: PandaCuddles

Postby hanseshadow » 19 Dec 2017, 15:27

I didn't modify the scene's TestLodInstancing. The boxes were probably just due to using 2017.2. I upgraded to 2017.3 and it works fine, now. Thanks!
hanseshadow

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Hanseshadow

Postby ozonex » 19 Dec 2017, 15:29

PandaCuddles wrote:The decals feature isn't working for me. Here's an image showing the missing decals textures in the game:

I used the ones that are being used in the map TwinRivers to check, if it might be something with some specific decals not working.
The decals show up in real time in the editor itself.

Do you have an idea how to fix this?

Looks like texture is not correctly set on Decal Type. Check if there is texture assigned to main texture (that on the left) and if Type is Albedo. When you select decal type from list at bottom of that menu it should display its settings. I need to make Wiki how to use decals and simplify process of creating new decal types.
ozonex
Priest

Postby Farmsletje » 19 Dec 2017, 21:51

Some things i would like to see:
- More detailed slope view to ensure factory placement. Currently in both this and the SC editor even when the slopes are green you can't place a factory because it's too big and causes too much height change. In my last map i had an entire area of like 0,5 x 0,5 km marked as green but it was impossible to place a factory anywhere. Not sure what would be a good way to accomplish this though.
- Already said this before,but i'll say it again because it is too good to not have it: The ability to swap layers
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Sprouto » 20 Dec 2017, 01:06

Actually...the sloping indicator might not solve your issue with factory placement. The blueprints of the structures themselves have a parameter which controls how much elevation change they will tolerate - so while one value may work for factories, it might be entirely wrong for others (PD, power, radar, etc.). I do believe the sloping indicator should really be showing where movement can and cannot take place, as it effectively does in the original editor.

As for layers, there seems to be a way to move layers up and down but I haven't tried it yet. That might meet your needs.

I have a slightly different question regarding heightmap exporting and importing.

We often like to completely re-scale maps, usually from 20k to 40k, for example. There is no easy way to do this in a 'one button' process (that would be great), but to start, we export the heightmap of the original, and then import the heightmap over a blank map of the size we'd like to make. This works well enough, stretching issues aside, with one exception -- rectangular maps.

When I export a 40x20 heightmap, and try to import it into say, a 80x40, it processes only a segment of the original. If I take my 40x20 heightmap, and import it into a 40x40, it all comes in nicely - except it's been stretched (which is intentional behavior I assume). My question is -- is there some secret to the export/import process that would preserve the rectangular shape ?
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby ozonex » 20 Dec 2017, 13:01

Slope for different units and buildings is known issue and in future I will want to have option to display slope for type of unit/building.

In Textures/Settings there are "Move layer up" and "Move layer down" buttons. You can also use import/expost options do achieve anything you want.

My editor is not supporting non square maps. It's because Unity Terrain can only be squere. I will not change that in near future. Will be better to change that heightmap to square in photoshop and then rescale it. There is no tool that will do it automatically.

btw. I think i finally can read values of procedural skybox. Some most important like colors, scale, position and planets/stars are known. In next build editor will update loaded skybox for map size and heights.
ozonex
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors