[Alpha 0.606] FA Forever Map Editor

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: [Alpha 0.513] FA Forever Map Editor

Postby Sylventhe » 17 Dec 2017, 22:43

Wanted to chime in and say thank you for all the hard work on this editor! It looks great, and I have just started making a map with it. I haven't been through all of the tools yet, so I don't have a ton of feedback.

I can say the "Chain" controls are a little confusing when map symmetry is turned on. I figured out how to do what I wanted, but adding a map marker for AI movement (I am intending to make a Survival map) which results in two markers being added to the same chain is a little counter-intuitive.

As I said, I figured out how to do what I wanted (two symmetric chains) so I would not call this a huge problem.

Again, thanks for the hard work and dedication to this!
Sylventhe

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby michips » 17 Dec 2017, 23:08

thank yu for explications ! It works well
now at work!! i try to do anothers maps ( i hope) better than the ones I did a few years ago :D
michips

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: michips

Postby ozonex » 17 Dec 2017, 23:18

Thank you guys, I really happy that you like it.

But remember that this editor is still in alpha and some features may be still broken or not implemented. Everything will be added and fixed in time and I hope we will create good wiki page how to use everything in it.

I usually release new build every 1-2 weeks.
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby Fourty7 » 18 Dec 2017, 08:35

If you need any help with 2D/3D graphics or audio I'm more than willing to help! Let you spend more time on the code if needed haha. I've been 3D modelling since Quake 2 on Milkshape 3D (now using Maya lol), 2D stuff easy, audio I'm not as experienced, but could make some stupid menu/button sounds if wanted (with Fruity Loops/FL12).

I am currently making a bunch of brushes, will organize them well & saving as png + only using red channel, so avg 50-100kb per 1024x1024 img. I'll name them well & package them for you/as a addon when I get a good chunk done.
Fourty7

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Fourty7

Postby ozonex » 18 Dec 2017, 08:52

Fourty7 wrote:If you need any help with 2D/3D graphics or audio I'm more than willing to help! Let you spend more time on the code if needed haha. I've been 3D modelling since Quake 2 on Milkshape 3D (now using Maya lol), 2D stuff easy, audio I'm not as experienced, but could make some stupid menu/button sounds if wanted (with Fruity Loops/FL12).

I am currently making a bunch of brushes, will organize them well & saving as png + only using red channel, so avg 50-100kb per 1024x1024 img. I'll name them well & package them for you/as a addon when I get a good chunk done.

I was 3d artist and I then changed to be technical artist. I also work in Maya. There is no much to be done with 3d in editor. I already made all needed models, but set of nice brushes for painting will be awesome. We can change format for greyscale images, but we can import only jpg, png, bmp, raw or dds. Best is png but I'm not sure if it can be saved as greyscale without alpha. I will check when I will come to work.

You can also make some icons, but I need to make list what is needed first.
ozonex
Priest

Postby Zsombi » 18 Dec 2017, 22:27

Even though this is in Alpha, it would be nice to have a sheet of all the keyboard shortcuts and key combinations with short but easily understandable descriptors in a nicely arranged list. :idea: :roll: At least of the most commonly used ones.
Zsombi

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Zsombi

Postby michips » 18 Dec 2017, 23:38

hi ozonex is it possible to play the live map on fa Map editor directly ? and i dont found how to uplowd my map in the vault :mrgreen:
I would like to test it with real players :D
michips

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: michips

Postby hanseshadow » 19 Dec 2017, 02:46

Hey there! I've been using your editor for a while to play games with my friends. It's very refreshing to have new maps to play and I'm very grateful for your work. I'm almost at the point where I can publish a map. On top of that, I'm a professional game developer. I hit a couple hiccups with your code and different Unity versions, but the latest version of Unity fixed some of that (was having shader issues...still am, actually, but it's better than seeing errors in the log).

Here are a couple take-aways that I've noticed (Unity 2017.2.1f1).

- Error: Prop models are not rendering in the latest version of Unity. All I see are boxes for trees, rocks... Other models are solid white with no textures.
- Missing: Markers are missing many of the common types (Combat Zone, Defensive Point, Naval, etc). I used HazardX's editor to fix this.
- Suggested: Water to land slope brush. You have to go back and forth quite a bit between brushes. I used blur, but if there was an auto-translate across the water plane it would save a lot of time.

Not a suggestion, but maybe food for thought: I wrote the map editor for Ultima Online's maps, while I worked on the game. I had a filter for height maps based on textures on the terrain. It would allow me to paint an area and then modify only the texture on the terrain (for making sloped roads/ramps/etc).

I have one question. I don't know how your software creates map previews (haven't poked into the code that much, yet). My map just comes up blank with start points, when we play.

Thank you so much! I appreciate this tool. I've not uninstalled Supreme Commander since it first came out and I play at least once a week. If I see or fix a bug, I'll definitely give you the information. :)
hanseshadow

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Hanseshadow

Postby ozonex » 19 Dec 2017, 08:26

Zsombi wrote:Even though this is in Alpha, it would be nice to have a sheet of all the keyboard shortcuts and key combinations with short but easily understandable descriptors in a nicely arranged list. :idea: :roll: At least of the most commonly used ones.

Good idea. I wanted do it in FAF Wiki, but I can't get access to it :/ I will maybe write google doc with shortcuts for now

michips wrote:hi ozonex is it possible to play the live map on fa Map editor directly ? and i dont found how to uplowd my map in the vault :mrgreen:
I would like to test it with real players :D

No, you can't play it in editor. Search maps forum, there should be some informations how to upload map.

hanseshadow wrote:Hey there! I've been using your editor for a while to play games with my friends. It's very refreshing to have new maps to play and I'm very grateful for your work. I'm almost at the point where I can publish a map. On top of that, I'm a professional game developer. I hit a couple hiccups with your code and different Unity versions, but the latest version of Unity fixed some of that (was having shader issues...still am, actually, but it's better than seeing errors in the log).

Here are a couple take-aways that I've noticed (Unity 2017.2.1f1).

- Error: Prop models are not rendering in the latest version of Unity. All I see are boxes for trees, rocks... Other models are solid white with no textures.
- Missing: Markers are missing many of the common types (Combat Zone, Defensive Point, Naval, etc). I used HazardX's editor to fix this.
- Suggested: Water to land slope brush. You have to go back and forth quite a bit between brushes. I used blur, but if there was an auto-translate across the water plane it would save a lot of time.

Not a suggestion, but maybe food for thought: I wrote the map editor for Ultima Online's maps, while I worked on the game. I had a filter for height maps based on textures on the terrain. It would allow me to paint an area and then modify only the texture on the terrain (for making sloped roads/ramps/etc).

I have one question. I don't know how your software creates map previews (haven't poked into the code that much, yet). My map just comes up blank with start points, when we play.

Thank you so much! I appreciate this tool. I've not uninstalled Supreme Commander since it first came out and I play at least once a week. If I see or fix a bug, I'll definitely give you the information. :)

Latest version of editor uses Unity 2017.3.0F2 (beta). I don't recommend using 2017.2.1 or 2017.1.2 because most of our projects crash on them. GPU instancing has been changed in 2017.3 and I updated all shaders to work with it. If you open source in other version shaders might not work. I also hope you didn't activated "TestLodInstancing" object on scene, it renders lots of white cubes ;)

btw. what GPU do you have? I know some issues that Unity have with AMD graphic cards.

There are all marker types, they are under AI marker and then you can select type from dropdown menu. They are combined onto one category because there is too much of them and you use them only when you do AI stuff.

Not sure how you want that WaterToLand brush work. That can be easy done with blur and brush with mini-max height.

About preview, I need to say than I'm not sure if I even implemented that. In previous builds everyone just used official editor with my editor and it created that. I will fix that in next build for sure because I have RenderMap function.
ozonex
Priest

Postby PandaCuddles » 19 Dec 2017, 10:14

Hi ozonex

Your map editor has become quite awesome! :D

I have some questions though:
    1. How do I delete a prop?
    2. How do I get rid of a texture/clear a layer?
    3. How does the lighting work? The map is very dark when played on FAF and I don't understand what RA, DA and Sun Multiplier do.

And lastly: When I try to use decals, I don't see them rendered when placing and in FAF, it shows missing textures. Any idea what I'm doing wrong/isn't working?

Thank you very much for your work!
Hello signature
PandaCuddles
Crusader

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: PandaCuddles

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors