[Alpha 0.606] FA Forever Map Editor

Post here if you want to help developing something for FAF.

Re: [Alpha 0.512] FA Forever Map Editor

Postby Sprouto » 08 Dec 2017, 21:17

Thanks - it's the version = 3 issue.
Sprouto
Priest

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 74 times
FAF User Name: Sprouto

Postby Farmsletje » 08 Dec 2017, 21:30

- The strata resource browser is missing quite a few textures compared to the SC editor. Tundra for example: 23 textures + normals for ozonex editor and 37 for the SC editor.
- When changing the prop brush size and strenght the numbers on the right don't change
- Placing props can't be undone for some reason:
https://puu.sh/yCbQz/c9511987ba.png
https://puu.sh/yCbR9/f03dac4830.png
- Also i'd suggest changing the scaling on the prop brush strenght slider because right now at around 50% it places 1 prop / second (which imo should be the starting value).
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby ozonex » 08 Dec 2017, 23:45

Farmsletje wrote:- The strata resource browser is missing quite a few textures compared to the SC editor. Tundra for example: 23 textures + normals for ozonex editor and 37 for the SC editor.
- When changing the prop brush size and strenght the numbers on the right don't change
- Placing props can't be undone for some reason:
https://puu.sh/yCbQz/c9511987ba.png
https://puu.sh/yCbR9/f03dac4830.png
- Also i'd suggest changing the scaling on the prop brush strenght slider because right now at around 50% it places 1 prop / second (which imo should be the starting value).

2 and 3 already fixed. About not all textures loaded > Need to check whats wrong. It should load all of them.
FAF Map Editor Alpha v0.605 > Get it now!
ozonex
Priest

Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 263 times
FAF User Name: ozonex

Postby Zsombi » 10 Dec 2017, 12:02

Question.
What to do if I want to find and edit / delete something like weather effects or stuff blowing on land eg. snow or sand etc... like BlowSnow01_prop for example.

To use an example map, I want to remove all weather and wind effects from "FrozenBlood_for_AI_v2". In the props list I can see that there are a lot of BlowSnow01_prop instances but I cannot select them, move them around or delete them.

Also, if I just click around in either Props or Decals mode I can often select something with a green and blue large circle around them, which otherwise do not appear at all. However even if I select them there is no mention anywhere of what they might represent, nor can I delete them.
Zsombi

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Zsombi

Postby ozonex » 11 Dec 2017, 11:35

Zsombi wrote:Question.
What to do if I want to find and edit / delete something like weather effects or stuff blowing on land eg. snow or sand etc... like BlowSnow01_prop for example.

To use an example map, I want to remove all weather and wind effects from "FrozenBlood_for_AI_v2". In the props list I can see that there are a lot of BlowSnow01_prop instances but I cannot select them, move them around or delete them.

Also, if I just click around in either Props or Decals mode I can often select something with a green and blue large circle around them, which otherwise do not appear at all. However even if I select them there is no mention anywhere of what they might represent, nor can I delete them.

Particle and other effects are not yet supported by editor, so you can't find and remove them. Use official editor for that. I will maybe add placeholder for unsupported props to show where they are.

Decal system is not ready yet, still working on it so there can be still some bugs in last build. Blue, green, orange and gray circles are selection so maybe selection is not cleared when switching tab. In new build this is already fixed.
ozonex
Priest

Postby ozonex » 16 Dec 2017, 11:12

v0.513
- Updated project to Unity 2017.3
- UI Cleanup
- New UI fonts: "Lato" and "Roboto"
- UI is now controlled by unity UI layout system and everything is in prefabs
- New UI elements: IntField, FloatField, IntRangeField, FloatRangeField, ColorField, Title, Label, Space
- Added Resource browser in Tools menu (Tools/Resource Browser)
- Added custom backup folder path in preferences (empty path will create backup files in map folder)
- Added link to Wiki in Help menu (Help/Wiki)
- Reworked brush size and strength shortcuts code ("B" and "M" key)
- You can now scroll UI with mouse scroll or by dragging
- Improved performance of long UI lists (markers, decals, resources)
- Fixed crash on decals when saving map
- Decal placing
- Hide/Unhide decal by their type (hold alt + [V/H] button on decal type to toggle others, H on keyboard to hide selected decals, Shift + H to show selected decals)
- Fixed some Decal rendering bugs
- CutOffLOD and NearCutOffLOD values are now individual values for every decal instance
- Added decals to undo history
- Added marker values undo history
- Added props paint to undo history
- Fixed marker selection not being disabled when we exit markers with Chains, Layers or Adaptive tab open
- Props paint chance now works
- Added water settings export/import
- Added lighting export/import
- Added procedural skybox (FA skybox) export/import (in Lighting tab)
- Fixed stratum template import
- Brush will no longer paint when we start drag over UI
- Changed order of position and orientation in save.lua for markers, because it causes issues when displaying preview of the map
- Resource browser will now also load textures when the file format is capital letters
- Resource browser will no longer load props again when they are already in memory
- Transform tool will now only select symmetry objects that are the same type as selected object
- Added FXAA
- Camera smoothing changed
- Removed rotation of move tool from transformation tools
- Fixed some small bugs

Big update with lot of bug fixing and new features. Project has been updated to Unity 2017.3.

UI
Created most of interface from beginning. Needed to make new UI elements that will proper handle many different values and return events when user finished input. Default unity's UI was not good and has some issues with input handling. Every element is now smaller, loaded new fonts that are more sharp, font size is now 12px. Everything is also controlled by Unity Layout system, so every change is now automatic arranged. Changed look of buttons, sliders, toggles and dropdowns to give them more 3D and mass.

Decals
You can now create new decals, remove them, change values like CutOffLOD, NearCutOffLOD, textures and render type. Decals works little different than in game. When map is loaded editor search decals with similar render values and marge them into Decal Types with instances on map. It allows to better batch them and reduce GPU use.
I loaded some popular maps and compared it with how decals are rendered in game and tweaked rendering to look more similar. Decals in editor are rendered as Deferred Decals and sometimes can look little different than in game where decals are placed on terrain mesh and rendered into terrain textures.

Process of creating new decals is simplified. You first need to create or select existing Decal Type. It contains information how decals looks (textures, render type). Then we can enter creating mode by pressing "Place Decals". It work similar to markers, but you can also rotate and scale and see how it will looks before you place it on map. Here is video from older version of decals showing how this works.

Added ability to Hide/Unhide decal types. On every decal type there is button [V/H] with hide/unhide that decal type.
- When we click it when holding left shift or left alt it will Hide/Unhide other decals (usefull when we want to see only one type)
- Pressing H on keyboard will Hide selected Decals. Pressing H with left shift or left alt will Unhide them
- There are also buttonss "Hide all" and "Unhide all"

Presets
In this build I added export/import to Water, Lighting, FA Skybox, Props paint sets and also fixed Stratum import/export. There is idea to create "Texture sets" with stratum textures, props, lighting and water than will be selected when creating new map or to apply to loaded map. Spending time on finding good looking textures and assets take a lot of time and this presets should reduce it and also improve look of average maps.

Other
Changed smoothness of camera move and zoom. I hope you will like it because for me it feels more smoothly than FA camera. There are still some bugs when we zoom to close or too far, but I will fix it in next builds.

What's next
In next days I want to work on eventual bugs and make sure that markers, props and decals are fully functional without bugs. In next year I will start working on Units. Thats the only core feature that is missing for Beta.

I want also implement new LOD GPU instancing system for props that should improve performance a lot. Here is preview of 3x 4096 objects with 3 LOD levels and different materials.

Remember you can help me create it by testing, giving feedback, suggesting ideas for tools or by donating (I love pizza :D).

Download
https://github.com/ozonexo3/FAForeverMapEditor/releases/tag/v0.513-alpha

Edit:
Build reupload. New Unity version need additional unityplayer.dll attached to the build files. And I was so happy that build was smaller :(

Edit2:
Small hotfix that fixed map not being saved as v60 when we select that option
ozonex
Priest

Re: [Alpha 0.513] FA Forever Map Editor

Postby Petricpwnz » 16 Dec 2017, 13:59

I was enjoying the new zoom possibilities until I zoomed out to the point where my map dissapeared and on zooming in it didnt reappear :D
Also gonna be that annoying c**t dude and ask you to make resource browser locate+show files from map folder before you run off to work on units :3
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby ozonex » 16 Dec 2017, 15:56

Petricpwnz wrote:I was enjoying the new zoom possibilities until I zoomed out to the point where my map dissapeared and on zooming in it didnt reappear :D

You can always restart camera pressing "Home" key

Petricpwnz wrote:Also gonna be that annoying c**t dude and ask you to make resource browser locate+show files from map folder before you run off to work on units :3

I will ;)
ozonex
Priest

Postby growooken » 17 Dec 2017, 01:19

I ran into some problems with setting the gamedata folder. (Kept getting the error: "No source files in gamedata folder")

It turned out that I needed to point to the Forged Alliance install folder rather than the gamedata folder itself. The default value and the text in the Select Folder dialogue box ("Select 'Gamedata' folder in FA instalation directory") should be updated.
growooken

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: growooken

Postby ozonex » 17 Dec 2017, 08:54

growooken wrote:I ran into some problems with setting the gamedata folder. (Kept getting the error: "No source files in gamedata folder")

It turned out that I needed to point to the Forged Alliance install folder rather than the gamedata folder itself. The default value and the text in the Select Folder dialogue box ("Select 'Gamedata' folder in FA instalation directory") should be updated.

I forgot about that. Changed.

I also added that when installation path is empty editor will try search for path in windows register. It should work in most cases.

v0.513 Hotfix3
- Default maps backup path is now [exe path]/FAForeverMapEditor_Data/MapsBackup/
- Fixed reset of backup path
- Changed titles of folder browser when searching for instalation, maps and backup folder
- Fixed map Name, Description and Version not loaded to UI
- Importing heightmap or using global heightmap functions will now update heights of objects on map
- Fixed wrong values in "Add height" function

https://github.com/ozonexo3/FAForeverMapEditor/releases/tag/v0.513-alpha
ozonex
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors