Presentation Page

Moderator: keyser

Edited the "What is Forged Alliance?" page

Postby FunkOff » 12 Oct 2011, 19:15

Below is the edited page... I don't really know how to keep formatting on a board like this, so that's why the formatting is gone. I mostly just corrected typos and grammatical errors, but also removed informal or confusing language in areas where I thought necessary. I liked the central message, however, and I tried to keep the essential points all the same.

Code: Select all
What is Forged Alliance ?
Forged Alliance is a stand-alone expansion of the 2007 RTS game “Supreme Commander“.
Supreme Commander was the spiritual sequel of the 1997 RTS game “Total Annihilation“.
The Supreme Commander series has a lot of unique features in the RTS realm :
Flux economy: Unlike the majority of RTS games, you don’t collect resources directly but build resources buildings. These buildings give you a certain amount of mass and energy income.
Repeating Que-based Army Creation: You don’t need to baby-sit your factories. You can make them produce in loop a (infinite) queue of units.
Construction Assist:  In other RTS, time is not a resource. A unit is built in X seconds, period. In Supreme Commander. If you really need a unit or structure RIGHT NOW, you can assist its construction to have it built quicker. On the opposite, if you don’t have enough resources, it will still be built, but slower.
Improved User Interface. You can order units to patrol, tell a factory to build the same que as another, make automatic rally points and ferry systems using air transports that make logistical functions and macro-managerment easier.  This allows you to focus your attention on combat and strategies, not your base.
Simulated projectiles. All the weapons in the game fire ballistic projectiles that are physically simulated. You can dodge a bullet, avoid an artillery shell or avoid a missile in real time.  Alternative, a plane can collide with a nuclear missile as it's being launched, or an artillery shell can accidentally hit a plane in-fight because all projectiles are simulated using accurate, true-to-life physics.
Massive army battles. The game is not without micro but it’s mostly about large quantities of units. It’s not uncommon at all to give order to hundred of units while thousands already died.  The scale of Supreme Commander remains unmatched.
Strategy centered, not APM centered:  As you command big armies, what will make the difference between a glorious win and the shame of a loss is your strategy, not your Actions Per Minute (APM).
Complete Intel System. You have radars sonars, radar jammers, stealth units, stealth generators, and even Unit cloaking !
Multi-Environment Battles. You fight on land, air and sea.  Further, mods exist that allow for sub-orbital battles.  Fights can occur in forests, desert wastelands, in cities, in the middle of the ocean and hundreds of other settings.
Experimentals:  Enormous high-tech units, also called Experimentals are costly, dangerous and impressive and carry the strength of entire armies. 
Nuclear weapons that can shoot across the planet, artillery that can fire a shell ten miles, battleships, giant robots, submersible aircraft carriers, spider-bots and more add a level of detail and a sci-fi appeal found nowhere else in the genre.
Forged Alliance brings to that a new playable faction, new units, and a better game dynamic, bringing to the world one of the most complete RTS ever created.
Forged Alliance Forever is adding to Forged Alliance even further, bringing new patches, game modes, units, ladders, and an exclusive Meta-Game.
To see what Forged Alliance is all about, take a look at look at these awesome videos made by Rake.   All the sequences are made from in-game content and are NOT cut-scenes!
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Presentation Page

Postby uberge3k » 12 Oct 2011, 19:24

I've reworded some things to sound clearer, and made some very slight changes here and there. Hope you like it. :)

What is Forged Alliance ?

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is a stand-alone expansion of the 2007 RTS game “Supreme Commander“. It was the spiritual sequel of the 1997 RTS game “Total Annihilation“.

Supreme Commander has many unique features that truly set it apart in the RTS realm:

Flux economy. Unlike the majority of RTS games, you don’t collect a finite amount of resources, but build resource-generating buildings. These buildings give you mass and energy per second.
Flux Army Creation. You don’t need to babysit your factories. You can make them produce and loop an infinite queue of units.
Unique Resource. In other RTS games, time is not a resource. A unit is built in X number of seconds, period. In Supreme Commander, if you really need a unit RIGHT NOW, you can assist its creation to have it quicker. On the contrary, if you don’t have enough resources, it can still be built, but will take longer to finish.
Improved User Interface. You can make patrols of units, tell a factory to build the same units as another, make automatic rally points using air transports… All you need for focusing on your fights and your strategies, not micromanaging your base.
Simulated projectiles. All the ballistic projectiles are physically simulated. You can avoid a shot, a plane can collide with a missile, a projectile on a high arc trajectory can collide a plane, and even nuclear missiles can collide with your air force… It’s all accurately simulated.
Truly epic scale. The game is not without micro, but it’s mostly about large quantities of units. It’s not uncommon to give orders to hundreds of units at once while thousands have already died.
Strategy is key, not APM. As you command big armies, what will make the difference between a glorious win and a shameful defeat is your strategy and tactics, not how fast you can click.
Complete Intel System. You have radars, sonars, radar jammers, stealth units, stealth generators, and even unit cloaking!
Multi-Level Battles. You fight on land, air, sea, and even in orbit.
BFU. Big F***** Units, also called Experimentals. Costly, dangerous and impressive, these behemoths can singlehandedly turn the tide of even the largest of engagements!
Nukes, giant robots, and lasers. They are awesome. BOOM.

Forged Alliance bring to that a new playable faction, new units and better game dynamics, bringing to the world one of the most complete RTS experiences ever created.

Forged Alliance Forever is extending Forged Alliance even more, bringing new patches, game modes, units, ladders, and an exclusive Meta-Game.

Still not convinced? Then look at these awesome videos made by Rake. All the sequences are made from actual real games!
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Re: Presentation Page

Postby Ze_PilOt » 12 Oct 2011, 22:19

Thanks to you two. I've took what I like the most in both version and updated the page.

http://www.faforever.com/?page_id=22

(and the BGU stay here, maybe I can have a smile from 30+ years old gamers :roll: )
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Ze_PilOt » 12 Oct 2011, 22:49

Now you can make a presentation page for FAF (like the GPG first post, but better...), and one for a global presentation (a "What this site is about/What I'm doing here ?" page) :)
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 13 Oct 2011, 17:06

Ho, and you can post here awesome screenshots for the screenshot section !
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby uberge3k » 14 Oct 2011, 14:31

Ze_PilOt wrote:Now you can make a presentation page for FAF (like the GPG first post, but better...), and one for a global presentation (a "What this site is about/What I'm doing here ?" page) :)

What is Forged Alliance Forever?

Forged Alliance Forever (commonly abbreviated to FAF) is a community-driven project designed to ensure that Forged Alliance will live on... forever. It is a complete lobby client system, similar to that of GPGNet, the default client provided with Forged Alliance, but with many improvements:

- Active development. GPGNet has long since stopped active development, and many bugs remain. FAF is under active development to continually add new and exciting features, and ensure that any bugs discovered will be quickly dealt with.
- Longevity. There is no guarantee that GPGNet will always be around. FAF is a community-supported project, and already has funding to support its server for several years. (*citation needed, pilot :))
- Live replays are always on and always working, with a 1-minute delay to remove the possibility of cheating during tournaments or ranked games.
- Exciting new game modes such as the Nomads (an entirely new playable faction), Experimental Wars (adds many new units to the game), Murder Party mod, LAB WARS, Phantom X, and many more featured mods. All are integrated directly into the client so it’s easy to setup a game with others, and even come with their own Leaderboards.
- Automatic patching. This means you will have the latest balancing, closest to what the developers originally intended. (it’s patch is based off of the 3603 beta patch which GPG had put into beta testing, but THQ would not provide final QA for and thus was never officially released)
- TrueSkill rankings for both ranked 1v1 and all custom games. TrueSkill is a vastly superior rating system which can accurately take into consideration 2v2s, 3v3s, 4v4s, FFAs, and any other game type.
- Responsiveness. Chat is faster, not limited to only 100 participants, and can be joined with any IRC client. FAF is designed from the ground up to be lightweight, responsive, and efficient. Logging in and getting a game going takes seconds, not minutes!
- 12 player games. 5v5s and 6v6s are possible on FAF.
- Non-destructive patching. It patches the game separately from your current installation. That means that you can continue to use GPGNet and FAF concurrently – they do not “overwrite” each other.

Let me know if I missed anything; I think I got all the highlights.

Could you describe in more detail what you'd like in the 2nd "what I'm doing here / what the site is about" page?
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Treble » 15 Oct 2011, 07:46

Shot of Fatboy I made today. For dual-screen setups. 3840*1200

http://d.imgb.in/imgbin_4e98d89979ed56.64311058.jpg
Treble

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 15 Oct 2011, 14:19

looks really cool 8-)
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Raging_Squirrel

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 20 Oct 2011, 12:47

Considering the videos by rake, I think the original Flail supreme should be added too.
Though short, it's a very nice one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWntHJTMu0Q)
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Return to FAF Suggestions