Please avoid laggy games in ladder

Moderator: keyser

Please avoid laggy games in ladder

Postby JeanLu » 16 Oct 2012, 19:02

Hi,
is there any way to avoid laggy games in 1V1 ladder? This is sooooooooooooooo annoying !
I'm from France and everytime I face someone from Australia or Korea, it lags like hell ! After some time, I usually give up as it is so painful.
Is there anything that can prevent this?
Thanks,
Jean
JeanLu
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: JeanLu

Re: Please avoid laggy games in ladder

Postby ColonelSheppard » 16 Oct 2012, 20:23

no there isn't, unless you look at the flags in the main chat and search only ranked if all non-europe are in game
also i want to mention that i have perhaps like 1 of 30 games a lagging game, so i guess you should think about your own internet connection instead of searching the porblems at the Korean in supcom (are there Koreans in Supcom...??)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby JeanLu » 16 Oct 2012, 20:55

My remark was about automatching in 1V1 ladder where you cannot select your opponent.
And I'm very sure about laggy games when my opponent is in Australia or Korea (yes, they are !). This is not a question of a temporary poor internet connexion but a permanent issue. I'd like to play against Asia/Australia but we share such a terrible ping!
What I would suggest if possible would be to select two opponents for 1v1 automatch only if they share a reasonable ping.
JeanLu
Contributor

Postby -_V_- » 17 Oct 2012, 06:55

So much bs.

So we can play rather smoothly with 8 players from different countries including Australia , South America, Russia etc, but you can't play smoothly 1v1 ? :roll:

There might be cases where the connection BETWEEN you 2 is bad for some reason, but stop making it a usual case. It's already hard enough to try to break the misconceptions in game, so let's not spread the bs on the forums too.

It's incredible that after so many years of experience in this game, people still continue to "accuse" other of laggin because of the COLOURS set to the ping values... I mean seriously ????

So JeanLu if you experience PERMANENT issues, you should check (or have it checked for you) your own connection. Cause last time I checked (I'm french too), the french internet service was kinda poor compared to , well korean one for instance, or singaporean or honk kong one and by quite a large margin ;) . I live there, I know. Always makes me laugh when I see those european talk shit about asian connections when it's quite the opposite.

Australia different deal , well it was 3 years ago in my case. But I played FA extensively while I was living in Australia, and except for some very rare occasions it was really fine in ... * EIGHT* players games. The lag came late game because of the cpu and only the cpu.

Again if you experience permanent issues, check your own connection for lost packets rather than looking at the ping values only.

Use the console and type ren_shownetworkstarts then check the column with data and behind. Behind, not good, data, goooooood
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby discoverer2k4 » 17 Oct 2012, 10:10

I'm not from France but from Germany ... pings to australian or korean people are often over 500 ms ... but the games work. Sometimes there is one guy who is lagging ... but not in 1vs1 ...

I agree with the statement of V ... check your connection before you start complaining about others...

BUT ... for automatches it would be not so hard to implement a ping check between the opponents, or? E.g. reject all opponents you have a ping over 500 ms or so ... I know, that we have to make changes to the lobby by our own as pilot has no time for it, but maybe someone wants to do it? :)
Maybe JeanLu? ;)
ranking :
~1500 global / ~1100 ladder
~1100 games / ~ 400 games
discoverer2k4
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: discoverer2k4

Postby JeanLu » 17 Oct 2012, 15:16

Hi,

what I can say is that every time I play 1v1 against Korea/Australia, it lags. Every time i play against Europe/US it is OK.
I don't really care about the reason but there is a simple way to address this : make sure the ping is correct before starting a 1v1 match.
I'm not saying that their Internet is poor, I'm just saying that we have horrible games together.
It may be my Internet provider, my computer, theirs or the devil in disguise, I don't really care but my concern is to avoid a 1h play for a smal map!
JeanLu
Contributor

Postby Ze_PilOt » 17 Oct 2012, 15:19

That's not possible. The lag, most of the time, is caused by bandwidth or packet drops.
Rarely because of the ping itself.

So the only solution would be to test extensively each connection before starting the game, it's unreliable (can be good for 5 sec and overall bad for 30 min) and difficult to do for only a very, very few cases.

If your only concern is to not play long 1v1, just quit or propose a draw. I won't spend one day of my life coding something that can eventually save you 30 min of yours. That's not effective.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby JeanLu » 17 Oct 2012, 15:37

Hi,

Ok understand, just wanted to know if there was something that could be done to fix this.
And BTW, it's not only me as I'm just watching a replay of someone that experiences the same painful experience (Russia vs Korea).
JeanLu
Contributor

Postby ToejamS » 18 Oct 2012, 10:58

The worst pings are Russia and China. Russia lags sometimes but China has a more consistent lag due to the Great Firewall of China me thinks. As zep says, its not about ping but about dropping packets. AFAIK this mostly happens when routers get really busy or cant find the next gateway so the packet gets lost and dropped. There was an accident involving one of the routers for my isp which means that all my stuff is routed through another router causing extreme congestion at peak times, thats why I dont play in the evenings. I dont think Chinese players can avoid this, its just the way of things. Apparently they get better pings to the USA and Australia suggesting routing issues. Not much that can be done here except be patient.
ToejamS

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ToejamS

Postby Voodoo » 18 Oct 2012, 11:25

I agree with ToejamS and Ze_Pilot here.

It's not useful to add such a function.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo