Unfair exclusion on ladder when a internet router reboot.

Moderator: keyser

Re: Unfair exclusion on ladder when a internet router reboot

Postby Guig Esprit du Sage » 27 Sep 2012, 17:28

My Ip does not change, it's just my adsl sucks sometimes.

On the GPGnet times, in case of connection lost, the issue was not sure, so it was not good. But now with FAF, the issue is simple: if you disconnect you loose. It's good because it avoid cheaters to unplug their Internet cable when they see they are loosing. But it also means that 50 seconds after a opponent lost his connexion, there is a free win button which appear.
And I think it should be 120 seconds (for ladder games only).

I appear that players are more fair when playing custom games.
Guig Esprit du Sage

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Guig_Esprit_Sage

Postby ColonelSheppard » 27 Sep 2012, 19:09

sry but i stay on my point, if you dc it's your problem and not the problem of the other player, if you think you CAN dc you can write it at the beginning of the game and i guess most players will wait then (this is supcom community!)

but under normal circumstances nobody comes back after 50s in a ranked game (my experience) so most people press "Kick" and play another one

but from my point of view the only "unfair" thing is that you blame other people for not knowing/caring about YOUR internet issue
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby ToejamS » 27 Sep 2012, 23:26

Why is your router doing this?? Do you have some 50cent internet plan? I think it should be more that you look into your connection rather than having to code around it and annoy everyone in the process.
ToejamS

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: ToejamS

Postby Guig Esprit du Sage » 28 Sep 2012, 12:57

why it is so hard to wait additionnal 70 seconds?
Why on tournaments, tournamaents directors always ask to wait 120 seconds?

The problem is not my connection, the problem is to let a chance to the other to reconnect if the case eventually happen.
Guig Esprit du Sage

Postby Softly » 28 Sep 2012, 14:15

Why should people have to wait any time at all?

If you go quiet then it doesn't really matter whats causing it, connection, router or whatever its still your problem and the fix should be to that problem, not making everyone else work around you.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby -_V_- » 28 Sep 2012, 15:24

Nice fair play attitude! Thumbs up!
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Softly » 28 Sep 2012, 15:47

And for the record I waited 5 mins 8 secs today in 1v1 when Alcide dc'ed. I'm not against waiting myself but I don't see any reason to make other people wait longer because 1 person has a router issue.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby discoverer2k4 » 28 Sep 2012, 16:24

really? you are all complaining about 1 more minute (2 minutes overall) before you can kick someone out of the game!? A game that can take up to 2 hours ... sorry but that makes no sense :lol:

If its not that difficult to implement, why do not change the value from 50 sec to 2 minutes?
Ok... in an eight player game you would have 12 minutes at all if 6 players got dc one by one and got kicked ^^ but this is only in worst case and would break the game anyway ;)!!! Yeah and ok, if someone has this problem every 5 minutes :) than you are able to kick him anyway after the second time or he will leave by himself...

come on guys, the TS is surely not the only guy with this "problem"...
(probably the other guys got a disconnect before they were able to write a post into the forum) :-P
ranking :
~1500 global / ~1100 ladder
~1100 games / ~ 400 games
discoverer2k4
Contributor

FAF User Name: discoverer2k4

Postby Softly » 28 Sep 2012, 17:36

discoverer2k4 wrote:A game that can take up to 2 hours
but in 1v1 ranked 2 hour games are quite rare.

Its much more common to finish a game inside of ten minutes, making a 2 minute wait around 20% of the total time. Given also that it can take a reasonable time to find games sometimes, why should everybody have to wait more time to kick someone who has dc'ed when only 1 person needs that time to come back? Surely the optimum solution would be to fix the connection problem so that no dc occurs? Otherwise we are potentially forcing everybody to give up time because one person won't give up the time to fix their issue.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Guig Esprit du Sage » 28 Sep 2012, 23:05

It confirm that there is unfair people here. If the majority of people was waiting at 90 or 120 seconds, no additional code would be needed.
It does not happens often to me, but I saw that it happens to some other people. it's not because I'm alone to say it that I'm the only to have router reboots sometimes.

Fortunately the optical fiber is in deployment near me, I hope to have it soon, but it's not a reason to stop to ask to have than 50 seconds to wait.
Guig Esprit du Sage

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions