Idea: Subtle Build queue change

Moderator: keyser

Idea: Subtle Build queue change

Postby spacewhales » 31 Jul 2020, 00:41

Hi everybody,

I repeatedly find myself in situations where I would like to inject a unit into a factory build queue at position nr 2, i.e. finishing the current build order and then immediately starting constructing the newly queued unit. However, this can be cumbersome if the first entry in the factory build queue is a stack of multiple units. I think a nicely unintrusive way would be give the unit currently under construction a slot in the queue independent of the stack of units of the same type that might be constructed later on. Maybe the following scheme illustrates it.

Now: | Interceptors: 4 | Bombers:1| With suggested change: |Interceptors: 1 | Interceptors: 3 | Bombers: 1|

Might be easier to the inject e.g. the Air scout you really need soon but not right now with this build queue setup. What is your opinion on this?
spacewhales

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: spacewhales

Re: Idea: Subtle Build queue change

Postby FtXCommando » 31 Jul 2020, 00:56

Not really understanding how this is different from the current ability to soft cancel your queue so that you can readjust a factory queue while the current unit keeps building.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby spacewhales » 31 Jul 2020, 09:01

If you understand soft cancelling to be be cancelling everything but the currently constructed unit (like a simlarly featured action mentioned in the patchnotes here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11013 ), the difference would be that you dont have to reenter the whole queue afterwards.
I really meant it more as a small quality of life change that allows you to designate a unit to be built next with less clicking around (by queueing it, then dragging it to second position into the slot after the unit that is currently under construction). I find the current way of doing it not really comfortable. But maybe I am doing it wrong - what is the most convenient way of doing this right now if I have a long queue that I want to keep and a stack of units in the first slot in the building queue?
spacewhales

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: spacewhales

Postby FtXCommando » 31 Jul 2020, 11:37

Well most of the time my queues aren't exactly complex. Smaller maps would have something like a few early engies followed by several tanks followed by 1 engie 1 tank or 2 tanks. Traditional maps would have an engie fac and tank facs with the occasional arty/maa mixed in. Air facs would tend to produce 4 ints and a scout and then I softstop to produce bombers when I realize I have solid air control etc. I don't think it takes me more than 2-3 seconds to reset my most complex queues after revising it with soft stop regardless of situation. That's about as long as it would take with dragging icons with my mouse, which is always painfully slow and not very conducive to quick gameplay.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Return to FAF Suggestions