Forum suggestion: Stop new users from editing posts

Moderator: keyser

Forum suggestion: Stop new users from editing posts

Postby RedX » 20 Jun 2020, 22:10

This forum gets with a lot of bots that take popular Reddit posts and post them here, then edit the post later to add spam links. I think to defeat this, users with only 1-2 posts shouldn't be able to edit posts. They'll still be able to make their spam posts, but without being able to edit it and add the links they won't be able to actually get any benefit from it.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Re: Forum suggestion: Stop new users from editing posts

Postby Brutus5000 » 21 Jun 2020, 10:31

This phpbb forum will be replaced soon. The new solution will use single sign on of your FAF account and then all spam bots will be gone.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby RedX » 22 Jun 2020, 07:32

Brutus5000 wrote:This phpbb forum will be replaced soon. The new solution will use single sign on of your FAF account and then all spam bots will be gone.

Wouldn't that also make getting support for FAF more difficult if the issue is with logging in to FAF? Don't get me wrong, a new forum is way overdue and very welcome, just curious how that will be handled, as well as what will happen to the many years of information here.
RedX

Postby Brutus5000 » 22 Jun 2020, 08:31

If you have issues with FAF registration (which is 99% related to either email not being sent or email not being received / in spam etc) you have the same problem in the forum right now.

For the new forum you only need to be registrated. You do not need an active link to Steam (this is only required for login with the client).

Also the major help channel seems to be Discord nowadays.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby ZLO_RD » 26 Jun 2020, 18:54

i've got some moderator power and gonna try to help with deleting those bots.
Also it is not always matter of not being able to edit a post, they just add links to signature later.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby RedX » 29 Jun 2020, 07:58

It's been a while since I've used phpbb as an admin but I'm fairly certain that you can also lock signatures behind a rank requirement too. Worth considering.
RedX

Postby Brutus5000 » 29 Jun 2020, 08:19

Not really. The new forums is almost there... if you want to have a look at https://forum.test.faforever.com (single sign on with your user and password foo)
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby RedX » 05 Jul 2020, 18:50

I guess I'm alone in this but I can't stand NodeBB... At least not the implementations I've used. Hopefully FAF's is better.
RedX

Postby Brutus5000 » 06 Jul 2020, 09:17

I don't know what you dislike about it, but apart from the single sign on it's pretty much the default.
Given that it is the only open source forum that offers an "easy" and free way of creating single sign on, it was more of a technology choice than anything else.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Postby RedX » 07 Jul 2020, 02:42

That's perfectly fair, I know finding a good free software that works with your existing stack isn't easy. As far as what I don't like, I just don't like a lot of the UI paradigms of it. I don't think I could name anything specific, I am just not as comfortable with it as, say, PhpBB, for all its horrible flaws. But I know it's not going to change just because I don't like it, that would be stupid.
RedX

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions