Lobby improvements

Moderator: keyser

Lobby improvements

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 18 Sep 2012, 19:05

There are a few improvements i can see that could be made to the lobby system

- AI options should only come up when an AI is put into the game. Eg tac missile options, AI expansions ect.
- When a slot is closed on a map it should show it from FAF
- Eg. Its an 8 player map and 2 slots are closed. There are 3 players in the lobby. With this new system it would show 3/6
rather than 3/8
-More map filter options. If possible one that says "contains water" and if that's not possible then how about a search option. Preferably one that auto completes as you search. Same goes for mod list.

-rating tank colour in lobby dependant on faction you play most

If anyone can come up with any more I will put them up here
Last edited by noobymcnoobcake on 19 Sep 2012, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Lobby improvements

Postby eXcalibur » 18 Sep 2012, 21:17

thx noobymcnoobcake for your good ideas.
i would have nice ideas as well:

the title of hosted games is often too short.
the easiest solution would be to write the title in the quick preview window (when you hover the mouse over the server).

in the "find games" tab you see all hosted games. at the right of each game is a text "game quality ? % (with you)". when it shows a number it is e.g. 78.88%. you do NOT need the 2 digits here since it is only a rough estimate.

when you are in the "leaderboards" tab, the "global and matchmaker" and "ladder" tabs should be switched. this way your rank is displayed immediately. this is what most people want to know when they click on "leaderboards".

when you click the "leaderboards" and then the "ladder maps stats" tab the second time (and have clicked on a map name the first time), it displays "stats since 21 june 2012......" underneath the stats of the map you clicked the first time. please make it that after clicking the "ladder maps stats" it always starts with NO map selected.

when you are in the "leaderboards" tab and the "global and matchmaker" tab: why is there still the "1v1 ranking" tab? it should be removed.

something else: the ladder is called "1vs1 automatch" (in the "find games" tab) and "matchmaker" (in the "leaderboards" tab) and "ladder" (in the "leaderboards" and "tutorials" tab). please call it only ONE name. this must be confusing to noobs...

in "map vault" please position the buttons like the picture in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1619

in "map vault" it would be cool to a filter option "with AI markers".it is described how to do it here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1777

the quick preview window in the "live games" tab contains a lot of useful information, but the formatting is horrible (game quality shows digits and you see variable names). also some information (num_players, access, title, game_time, game_type, state, command) is useless. but the rating of the players could also be displayed. this would be really useful, because i do not know most people and their rating in FAF by heart.

i have trouble with the "<" and ">" symbols in the title of a hosted server and live replays. this is not really important, but in the long run, it should be fixed. look here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1460

something else i would like to be implemented: zep talked once (i cannot remember in which thread) about the possibility to give everybody, who can defeat a hard ai (or was it a sorian ai?) in a 1vs1 match at least a rating of 800, 900 or 1000, because there is an ai ladder as well. this would be useful to distinguish between new players and bad players easily.

one other thing: when a game is over, it shows you the scores of that game. when i remember it correctly, the scores displayed are related to how many commanders you have killed. but this was only for testing purposes. the real score takes your player rating into account (when you have the best rating and play against low rated players YOUR RATING DOES NOT CHANGE, because you are expected to win - the opposite is true as well). therefore the displayed score of the game suggests that you need to kill commanders to increase your rating. this is FALSE. therefore it should only be displayed: "player1, player2 won the game".

featured mods:

the quick preview windows of the "king of the hill" and "civilian defense" are horrible. a proposal of the text in the window of the "king of the hill" mod is available in the forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1695 . it should not be so hard to write for the "civilian defense" mod a much better (and better edited) text/description than the one we already have.

add the claustrophobia mod: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1699

the desync problem with replays should be solved as well: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1913

finally something for the next patch. this would look really nice in supcom: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1675
this would make a lot of people happy, who play (sometimes) matches against the AI: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2551
this, too: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1349
Last edited by eXcalibur on 15 Dec 2012, 20:38, edited 4 times in total.
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby ColonelSheppard » 20 Sep 2012, 23:02

have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1855
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 21 Sep 2012, 19:45

Thought that was for unit fixes, but I can post the link there too
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Myxir » 07 Oct 2012, 10:48

i have also few suggestions:

1)
add the buttons [AI Ranking], [1v1 Ranking] and [Global Ranking] in the [Global and matchmaker] category to the button system, so they're showed right under the button as it's done in the [Ladder] sub tab

2)
it would be cool to add a 1v1 rating graph to the View player statistics option
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby Ze_PilOt » 07 Oct 2012, 18:15

I will say it again, but FAF dev has stopped for us. You can make proposal, but there is little chances that an update will come to light this year.

If you want to do something, the source code is available, I'll be glad to put them online if you do something with it.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby PaoloCZ » 09 Jan 2013, 23:13

Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want to do something, the source code is available, I'll be glad to put them online if you do something with it.

Where is an address of lobby code? I have some practice in Lua and Delphi/Pascal (an many many years ago in assembler).
PaoloCZ

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: PaoloCZ

Postby ColonelSheppard » 09 Jan 2013, 23:29

viewforum.php?f=45

and here is the link to the SearchFunction
search.php
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby PaoloCZ » 09 Jan 2013, 23:43

Sorry simply blind :oops: , i look for it, not only write the post... ;)
PaoloCZ

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: PaoloCZ

Return to FAF Suggestions