Recommend bombers against auroras on loading screen

Moderator: keyser

Recommend bombers against auroras on loading screen

Postby nrook » 28 Jan 2020, 20:08

I only recently found out that consensus among strong players is that t1 bombers are good against auroras. I was thinking this might make a nice loading screen tip.

If I am wrong and strong players don't actually think this, ignore me of course.
nrook

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: nrook

Re: Recommend bombers against auroras on loading screen

Postby creativename » 28 Jan 2020, 20:12

This seems like more of an opinion than something that should be a loading screen tip.
creativename
Crusader

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: creativename

Postby nrook » 28 Jan 2020, 21:38

There's lots of strategic advice in the loading screen tips though, like the thing about building a second paragon.
nrook

Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: nrook

Postby armacham01 » 28 Jan 2020, 22:38

Perhaps we should make a general list of proposed loading screen tips.

I assume the format for loading screen tips is that they need to be a single sentence or two short sentences. They should be simple and straightforward. They should be simple, direct wisdom that is basically always correct.

"As soon as you finish your paragon, start making a second one" probably needs to go. I rarely see people actually start on a second paragon. Usually you need to make heavy artillery or T4 as fast as you can. So that's probably an example of a bad tip.

Pointing out that t1 bombers are very effective against auroras seems like a good tip.

We would want to have a good balance between telling people simple things that are easy to understand, and trying to use the loading screen to convey more complicated ideas about the game that aren't readily obvious. The best tips are things that help people to play better, but that they wouldn't learn just from playing the game a few times themselves. If every tip was a simple, surface-level thing like "t1 bombers are good at killing aurora" that would not be particularly useful.

It might also be good if tips were different depending on how many games you played, or what your rating is. That might not be too difficult to implement (it would just mean that the client gives you a different tips file, depending on factors like rating & number of games).

By the way, where are the tips located, anyway?
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby biass » 29 Jan 2020, 07:11

creativename wrote:This seems like more of an opinion than something that should be a loading screen tip.

What? T1 bombers are and always have been one of the Aurora's hardest counters, that's not an "opinion."
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby ZLO_RD » 29 Jan 2020, 09:05

Pretty much anything except maybe for t1 land spam, no-gun ACU, obsidians and persivals will deal quick enought with auroras. anything that will not get kited will work decent against them cause of their low HP and slow speed.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Little Miss Murder » 29 Jan 2020, 10:00

I can think of better tips than this. Not to say its not a useful one, but imo newer players who need tips would be better served by things related to general efficiency, not faction-specific combat tips.

For example, if you had choose between "T1 bombers are good against auroras" vs, say "If you are energy stalling, try to reclaim trees immediately in addition to building extra power."

The latter is much more useful imo.
Little Miss Murder

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: Little Miss Murder

Return to FAF Suggestions