3708 ongoing development thread

Moderator: keyser

Re: 3708 ongoing development thread

Postby --- » 20 Oct 2019, 09:30

The Sera shader looks washed out bc in fact it is washed out from what I can tell.
Pure blacks and whites with faction color has been replaced with a lot of greys - which equals reduction in contrast.
Personally, I wish there was a little more contrast still. Now it's more like a faction of mercury. It also feels like the striped-material effect was reduced due to decrease in contrast
The t1 radar has no glow effect whatsoever - was it like that before as well?

Reduction in contrast (whiteness) also makes it harder to see that a factory is currently building.
I suppose you get used to it. It's cool someone took a look at it.
Maybe next time communicate a little more. Have a pre-announcement on the news tab that such a change is comming and feedback will be gathered.
I was told that people coming from Steam are more used to this version. However, the majority of players is already here and to them this is a change.
Attachments
sera_shader.jpg
sera_shader.jpg (598.73 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (362.93 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
---
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby BlackYps » 21 Oct 2019, 19:31

you have disabled bloom in your screenshot. this is why the t1 radar has no glow effect (like every other pure white surface).
BlackYps

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Little Miss Murder » 22 Oct 2019, 07:21

Sera looks a hell of a lot better now. I might even try playing them.
Little Miss Murder

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: Little Miss Murder

Postby Little Miss Murder » 22 Oct 2019, 07:25

QuestionMarkNoob wrote:This new sera shader looks absolutely terrible. All units look extremely washed out now and it is really hard to get used to it. Why was this even changed to begin with? I never had any problems with how sera looked, and I don’t know anyone who even cared about it.

It was horrible. My eyesight is pretty good and the shimmering T1000 rubbish they had going made everything look the same since shapes camouflage into themselves. It was impossible to play, but I'm tempted to give them a go after the update.
Little Miss Murder

Postby ____ » 22 Oct 2019, 12:21

Little Miss Murder wrote:It was horrible. My eyesight is pretty good and the shimmering T1000 rubbish they had going made everything look the same since shapes camouflage into themselves.

If you dislike those lights so much, then just turn off bloom and you won’t have any. Not only will that remove them from sera, but also from aeon which are also kind of bright as well. The other factions don’t really look much different without it.

Little Miss Murder wrote:It was impossible to play, but I'm tempted to give them a go after the update.

Honestly if you don’t play a faction simply based on some lights which you could just turn off, then I don’t know what to tell you. Also, I have never heard of anyone complaining about sera being too bright in my entire time on faf and even using the search function on this forum gives me 1-2 results about this being a “problem”. So why was this changed again?

Additionally, the shader does not even change some of the more severe cases. For example, the lights inside the pgens stay bright, so if you actually have a big problem with some units having to bright features, this change doesn’t really solve that.

Having an option to use the old shader would have been a much better way, instead of just forcing this, on the surface purely cosmetic change, onto everyone. It is like saying “my perception of how units should look is better than yours that is why we are changing it for everyone”. I personally liked the old shader better, because this new one just straight up looks terrible to me and because it makes it harder for me to see what units are being built.
____

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Little Miss Murder » 22 Oct 2019, 13:12

So much of text, so much of misunderstand. The lights and stuff have nothing to do with anything.

The new shaders get a thumbsup from little ol' me. 8-)

But anyway, this is Seraphim looking at their best - TWIMTBP: enveloped in flaming plasma death.

Little Miss Murder

Postby ____ » 22 Oct 2019, 13:39

Little Miss Murder wrote:So much of text, so much of misunderstand. The lights and stuff have nothing to do with anything.

Agreed, lights generally have nothing to do with shaders 8-)
____

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Little Miss Murder » 22 Oct 2019, 14:07

:roll:
Little Miss Murder

Postby Farmsletje » 07 Nov 2019, 16:51

So is anything gonna happen with sera shaders? At the very least can we get an option to revert this change?
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby BlackYps » 07 Nov 2019, 18:01

There was no further developement yet, because I had no constructive criticism to work with.
The feedback in the original thread was really positive and before you only two people said that they don't like the new shader. But they mostly described the changes. I can not see from that, what I should do to make it better. The only thing I could derive was "make the units black and white again" and I doubt that the majority of players likes that.
You can increase the contrast by enabling bloom, because seraphim uses a lot of bloom.

For me to understand feedback better I need the following Information:
are you playing with bloom on or of?
would you consider switching that setting?
If not, why?
On what maps did you play? (This seems unrelated but the lighting conditions on the maps are vastly different, which makes it a bit difficult to optimize the shader for most maps.)
What do you suggest to alter to improve the shader?

I can make a file with the old shaders for manual override if you want. I don't think an automated solution with a switch button somewhere would be feasible.
BlackYps

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 31 times

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions