3 Issues I've observed 2019

Moderator: keyser

3 Issues I've observed 2019

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 25 Apr 2019, 23:32

Bloom on Nuke:

So bloom effect is beautiful all game long and gives the graphics its modern appeal (for such an old title). The one exception is after a nuke goes off, the saturation is so high, that you can't select units inside the could to do something. This is really frustrating when reaction to tele-maze, or using groups of ras or rambo coms on field and losing 1. You can't tell whats left and you have trouble targeting the units in the cloud that might be trying to tele-out.
Please adjust this some so I can keep my graphics looking beautiful for my stream viewers and don't lose any competitive edge.

Nuke Pre-Launch:

Ok so your 3/4 way done with your nuke and trying to macro/micro else where. If you preselect a nuke target and it places an attack path. Say someone beats your nuke shot in and kills that section of base. You move the attack path, but it fires to the old location. Press stop and the nuke goes back to 0%. There needs to be some way to reset this other than (don't ever preselect nuke targets). If I want that thing off stat, then I should be able to focus on something less long wave like eco or micro and get the immediate launch speed. Target move may have people worried about steering nukes in flight, but this feature is misleading and should be changed. Maybe add a new button to disable current nuke launch target or just fix the attack move, while preventing it's use after launch.

Large unit move orders:

I notice this in early t1 all ins (the type that might roll over a t2 turtle setup). Good players say, move arty forward 1st, wait for them to move, then move everything else. This works ok, but late game its failing much more (especially t1 arty units). Tried multiple hotgroups to spread out the formations everything. Bottom line is movement groups are unresponsive, and not due to unit stats, just some mysterious mechanic in the engine that's prioritizing certain things, while allowing a long or seemingly endless (i've seen them refuse to move at all) delay. Also why are formation moves going 1/2 the speed of the slowest unit? Maybe allow a slow move period then speed up together once the formation is 95% set.

With the lag problems sorted unit responsiveness will be a big dink from players bored with starcraft 2 and trying to find a more rich and immersive RTS. Lets give them the unit responsiveness, and de-clumping they are used to from that title.

Spy_Emanciator

@Twitch
@Twitter
@Youtube
Spy_Emanciator

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times
FAF User Name: Spy_Emanciator

Re: 3 Issues I've observed 2019

Postby Cuddles » 26 Apr 2019, 12:56

There used to be a recommendation to play with Bloom off, it hides some of the added effects. Not sure if this is in place.

Cant you just hold shift and right click on the target icon, the normal way to cancel a order?

I also dislike the slow formation moves. But this was probably added for reasons and changing it may have a large impact on the overall game play. I'm always jealous of players getting perfect formation out of their units and move orders. Still have not figured out the trick for this. Blodir seems to do this well.
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 27 Apr 2019, 03:22

Cuddles wrote:There used to be a recommendation to play with Bloom off, it hides some of the added effects. Not sure if this is in place.

I find the lighting to be more flat, and the explosions and weapon animations to suffer with it off. Definitely a competitive balance point.

Cuddles wrote:Cant you just hold shift and right click on the target icon, the normal way to cancel a order?

I'll try it.

Cuddles wrote:I also dislike the slow formation moves. But this was probably added for reasons and changing it may have a large impact on the overall game play. I'm always jealous of players getting perfect formation out of their units and move orders. Still have not figured out the trick for this. Blodir seems to do this well.

Yea its a huge loss to me to lose to turtle just for that reason. You spent the entire game building up enough to break through and then the game says: hey you have too many units to move well so f*** off...
Spy_Emanciator

Postby armacham01 » 14 May 2019, 22:43

Press stop and the nuke goes back to 0%.

Yes, but if you complete building a nuclear missile, and your second missile is at 1% completion, then going back to 0% is not a big loss. You don't lose the completed missile. So you just have to wait until the missile finishes building, but before it launches, to press "s."

I've pressed "s" before during the launch animation, and I was able to keep my completed nuclear missile, and later launch it at a different target.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 26 May 2019, 07:08

In addition to the three I'm noticing several problems with units not functioning on long timers such as t2/t3 power plant builds, factory upgrades, mex upgrades, experimental builds, smd/nuke timers.

These are very long timers and most players have a propensity to mass stall during the builds. When this happens, the applied build power is not returning right away after the stall is complete. I think it would be beneficial both form an understanding standpoint and a debugging one to show more math actively in the hud to show how long its taking to build with the current build power as a function of the clock. This is especially frustrating when smd timers seemingly freeze up somewhere near half way and then you are helpless against nukes.

Please give the players the tools needed to debug this tricky situation, and newer players a quicker way to understand why the timer's are taking so long.
Spy_Emanciator

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 08 Aug 2019, 17:04

bump. Lets make com pop's nuke less visibility diminishing, but keep snipe and actual nuke's the same. That way you can still function using rambo's or as other ras blobs
Spy_Emanciator

Postby Spy_Emanciator » 12 Jan 2020, 01:13

*BUMP*
2020 Now and this list still applies as far as I can tell.

Also Naval Ground Fire against submerged units is doing way to much damage IMO and ruining the torpedo game. IE losing intel should never favor a player but in this case it is as it lets you aim your guns at markers that would otherwise block your ground-fire command. So essentially right now subs are forced to move around either aimlessly side to side (ruining focus fire) or too deep into enemy lines, or most frustratingly move out of range all together to dodge clumping and essentially be useless.

T4 battleship pathing breaks too often and gives up on approaching the target move order.

Also noticing situations where green built naval yards are blocking the production line or stacking large numbers of subs right next to the factory that had rally's set out in water far away. Pathing breaks right after spawn and does not do any sort of self correction or attempt to detangle with terrain.

Out of all of them the large group move command needs to stop hesitating so much, mixed t1/t2/t3 should all be able to pick up on a move to location all together and not have massive delays in start time.
Spy_Emanciator

Return to FAF Suggestions