Feature request - Points win/loss

Moderator: keyser

Feature request - Points win/loss

Postby -_V_- » 21 Aug 2012, 16:40

Would it be possible to have in the game lobby the indication of how many points you would win or lose, considering the team before launching the game ?
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Feature request - Points win/loss

Postby Zavior » 21 Aug 2012, 16:55

'i'd lose too many points for playing this game, rather go afk'
Zavior
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Zavior

Postby -_V_- » 21 Aug 2012, 16:58

Well if you wanna be a jackass and won't leave when you don't want to play :roll:
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Ghoti » 21 Aug 2012, 18:06

well I'm never objected to more information. Where were you thinking of putting that information?
Ghoti

FAF User Name: Ghoti

Postby -_V_- » 21 Aug 2012, 18:24

Not sure where exactly, is there space left near the balance % ?
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Gowerly » 21 Aug 2012, 20:46

It'll probably be different for each player, so it might need to go next to their name somehow.
Gowerly
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby Gimbalt_FAF » 22 Aug 2012, 01:56

I think what -_V_- is asking for is how many point she will gain or lose based on a win or loss specifically. I doubt she cares about the other players point gain or loss potential.
Gowerly wrote:It'll probably be different for each player, so it might need to go next to their name somehow.
Gimbalt_FAF
Crusader

FAF User Name: Gimbalt

Postby Softly » 22 Aug 2012, 11:59

It strikes me that V would need to play ranked games for this to be of any use to her.

The rating is there to provide guidelines for balancing and it would do a much better job if people just listened to it rather than their misguided sense of who is better than who. I'm not saying it perfectly represents you, or that you play at the same skill level every game, but it does give a representative picture of your performance in the games you play. If you don't lay ranked it won't be representative...

Since your rating is effectively decided by how you play, and not in general by how other people play, what do we want a function that tells us how many points we will win or lose for? Just play as well as you can (or otherwise) and your rating will gradually arrive at your skill level. If you're unwilling to accept that you may on occassion lose points then thats not everyone elses problem and nor should it ever be a case of I won't play because my rating will go down- surely playing good games of supreme commander is the objective?

Finally we come onto the technical problems with this. Most people do not understand the rating system. They look at the number next to their name and think thats their exact skill and is comparable to all other players. Well actually its not. So if we were to implement the feature would it be for a persons "best estimate skill", their "really really bad day skill" (which is the displayed one), or their "I'm playing on steroids skill".

TLDR: Counter-productive idea I think and suggested for the wrong reasons.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Kryo » 22 Aug 2012, 12:25

the problem is, if it shows wins/loss, will you only play games where you can win much, and lose less? that will really be a problem to get a game going.
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby Ghoti » 22 Aug 2012, 14:39

DilliDalli wrote:RAAAWR
Why are you assuming this is some attempt at min/maxing one's truescore. This is a good way to indicate a stack in a team game, which currently, there is no function that does that.

Here's a better way to get what you're after: V. Why would you like the win/loss information?
Ghoti

FAF User Name: Ghoti

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions