Rating Decay

Moderator: keyser

Rating Decay

Postby Endranii » 22 Dec 2018, 20:02

We had this talk, huh? So we are going to have it again.
So how does it work? It's simple, you don't play games then your rating will start decaying to allow you for easier time in coming back to the game/not holding place in ladder when you are no longer here.
Should it work for all ranges of players? Nope, it shouldn't as clearly you can't fall below certain level of gameplay mechanics no matter the game, after all you just don't forget how to drive a bike right? You might get slower/exhaust faster but you still know how to ride it. But then again if you don't wanna discriminate then getting different decay values won't be a problem in balancing it. Not to say hard cap can also be used to make it so you won't drop too low, like say 300/400 points maximum after not playing for 3 months. With decay starting after 1 month of not playing and slowly decaying until it hits the cap.

And why do I want to discus it? Cuz at the moment my rating is what is holding me back from actually playing the game, I just can't play it or am willing to put as much time as Gala to be able to come back and play relatively on the level my rating suggests. Literally making me either go and Int in games to lose rating resulting in ban, yeah funny, or just straight up ruining games and making other people rage cuz much mah 1.9k can't carry for shit. Which get's even better when you consider who I would be put against as currently people like yudi/foley were just around 100 points rated more but play the game few times a week when I didn't touch it for months.

Tl:dr : I'm making a smurf f*** you.
Endranii

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: Empty_Spot

Re: Rating Decay

Postby PhilipJFry » 22 Dec 2018, 23:08

Please read the rules

Should we find a smurf that we can link to you then we will permaban said smurf and also apply a temp ban on your main
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Geosearchef » 22 Dec 2018, 23:09

First of all I want to say that this is not that easy to implement technically. Server admins can't even set your rating manually as there is no single value for it but instead a list of linked games with rating beforehand and afterwards.

I think the idea is actually good. But I want to raise attention to the fact that rating IS NOT a single value. Your rating is a normal distribution based on your mean (expected performance) and (expected) deviation. I think it's also worth a shot to consider increasing a players deviation over time as this will make the displayed rating decrease. This basically means as time progresses the system get's more uncertain about their actual skill.

Displayed rating = 3 sigma percentile = mean - 3*deviation
(meaning you are 99.73 % likely to play at least as good as the displayed rating)
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby Farmsletje » 23 Dec 2018, 01:57

PhilipJFry wrote:Please read the rules

Should we find a smurf that we can link to you then we will permaban said smurf and also apply a temp ban on your main

And when heaven created a new account because he didn't like the 5k games behind his name it was okay?
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby biass » 23 Dec 2018, 07:13

Endranii wrote:like say 300/400 points maximum after not playing for 3 months.

I like the idea of decay but that's a little too extreme, i would dumpster a 1000 no matter what, and i haven't played in almost a year now.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Louvegarde » 23 Dec 2018, 10:21

Farmsletje wrote:
PhilipJFry wrote:Please read the rules

And when heaven created a new account because he didn't like the 5k games behind his name it was okay?

If you have something to report, please use the report form.
"but someone else did smurfing and got away with it!!!" is not an excuse to allow smurfing, especially if you didn't report it otherwise.
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby PhilipJFry » 23 Dec 2018, 10:32

heaven contacted us and asked us if we are ok with him doing so before creating a new acc

the moderation team agreed on letting him have his new acc so he can have a lower game count (which was something i didn't agree with personally but that's just how it is)

someone just announcing that they will break a rule is not a justification for doing so and the same goes for claiming that someone else did the same thing

about the entire thing - the rating system is set up to compensate inaccuracies fairly well and fairly fast
if you lose games that the system predicts you to win then the amount of rating you lose is proportionately higher
so i recommend you just play for a bit and your rating will adjust within less than 10 games (which is faster than making a new acc and getting where you "should be" again while not having to stomp some poor noobs along the way)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby Farmsletje » 23 Dec 2018, 15:24

Louvegarde wrote:If you have something to report, please use the report form.
"but someone else did smurfing and got away with it!!!" is not an excuse to allow smurfing, especially if you didn't report it otherwise.

You're missing the point entirely. I don't want to report anyone cause idc if anyone has a smurf. What i care about is that different people get a different treatment. There's a decent amount of high rated players that have second accounts / smurfs which is known by everyone, but no one cares if they have it. But why are they allowed to have it while others can't.

Also stop the "you didn't report it" excuse all the time when we both perfectly know that the moderators are aware of these players.

PhilipJFry wrote:heaven contacted us and asked us if we are ok with him doing so before creating a new acc

the moderation team agreed on letting him have his new acc so he can have a lower game count (which was something i didn't agree with personally but that's just how it is)

someone just announcing that they will break a rule is not a justification for doing so and the same goes for claiming that someone else did the same thing

So if for example i'd want a new account because i don't want other people to know i played 3k games on this one what would happen? Would i get the same treatment as heaven and could i just make a new one? And if not, why wouldn't i get the same treatment?

Or maybe i could argue that the new account is from my sister? That seems to work pretty well too.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby PhilipJFry » 23 Dec 2018, 15:35

only one way to find out

if you feel like someone is not telling the truth about his sisters acc feel free to make a report
I'm the last one when it comes to letting ppl have multiple accs (if i had my way i'd have banned obfuscation a long time ago for example)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby speed2 » 23 Dec 2018, 15:39

Second accounts are tolated as long as they are not used for abuse. If the ratings are similar, we don't ban them. I don't like it, I would prefer just a single account per player, some other mods share the opinion, so think it's fine as long as those accounts are not abused.

So currect status is, they are tolerated.

Please don't assume what mod team knows about. If there's a problem, use the report form. The same way you won't get an ingame issue fixed if you just rank about it in aeolus, you actually have to report it.

And asking why you wouldn't get the same treatment if you decided to ask for a new account is just ridiculous. That just feels like you wan't to start a fight over a situation that didn't happen, just for a sake of arguing.

And sure, your new acc might be from your sister, but it's not so hard to figure out it's you playing...
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions