1 vs 1 Ladder

Moderator: keyser

Re: 1 vs 1 Ladder

Postby Ze_PilOt » 12 Aug 2012, 16:49

The matchmaker is now on the TOP LEFT side.

As in our cultures we read from left to right and top to bottom, it's probably the first thing you will see by going on the find games tabs.

Probably won't change anything as I doubt it's the issue with the lack of competitive spirit :-/
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby rootbeer23 » 12 Aug 2012, 17:04

Gowerly wrote:I don't think that's a good idea. You won't learn how to play if all the numbers are wrong.

The best way to get more good players is to bring in noobs and let them learn and become good.

To have an advantage, it is enough to have a single number be different, i.e. income on mass extractors.
But ok that distorts the economy needlessly. How about buy 3, get 1 for free, i.e. virtual mass extractors would be given as
help, just as if you had an extra mass spot in your base. Or even better, you have to construct that virtual mass extractor or
if possible a mass spot would be added to the map.

Ze_PilOt wrote:You won't even know what kind of game you are playing as the rule can change on every game. That's a terrible idea.

The handicap would have to be visible to anyone from the start of the game.

Its not that an unequal game should be suddenly regarded as a good thing. the matchmaker would only set this up as a fallback if no other games are available. Possibly only after confirmation by the selected players.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Prince__ » 12 Aug 2012, 17:32

Ze_PilOt wrote:The matchmaker is now on the TOP LEFT side.

As in our cultures we read from left to right and top to bottom, it's probably the first thing you will see by going on the find games tabs.

Probably won't change anything as I doubt it's the issue with the lack of competitive spirit :-/

Thanks for doing it!
Prince__
Priest

Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: UES_Prince

Postby Ghoti » 12 Aug 2012, 19:28

rootbeer23 wrote:Its not that an unequal game should be suddenly regarded as a good thing. the matchmaker would only set this up as a fallback if no other games are available. Possibly only after confirmation by the selected players.

Yah, don't mess with eco. unit HEALTH could be fiddled with a little. However I'm against that as well.

I think the best thing to do is for the top ranked players to start playing thermo, then when they start to suck, go back into automatch.
Ghoti

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Ghoti

Postby Softly » 12 Aug 2012, 19:59

If noobs want to get better, teaching them that their units are automatically superior isn't the way to do it. Lets not mess with the game when the problem is a lack of proper help for those starting out, and a lack of patience from some noobs when at first they don't succeed.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Cerberus » 12 Aug 2012, 20:42

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Concur.
Icy wrote:*Imagines cerberus doing bomber first with 10 extra buildpower*
Cerberus
Contributor

Postby welder » 13 Aug 2012, 06:02

As I recall in GPG Net, in ranked you got a choice of thumbs up for one map, and thumbs down for another.

What about implementing something like that, where each player gets to indicate their map preference when searching for a game, and if a lower ranked player gets matched against someone better the game setup would defer to the weaker player's map preference?
welder
Crusader

Postby Ze_PilOt » 13 Aug 2012, 08:20

That's overly complicated. We need more players first.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Ze_PilOt » 13 Aug 2012, 09:14

To be honest, I could make the matchmaker in big red flashing letter with sounds when you mouse-over it, I don't think it will change the amount of players on it.

IE. prince is complaining, but he doesn't play on it :)
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby AdmiralZeech » 13 Aug 2012, 15:52

I've been thinking about competitive ladders and matchmaking systems for a while now.

Whilst Trueskill and other such systems offer good mathematical accuracy for matching people up against others and comparing skill levels, they're not very good motivators to play competitively. Often (whether by mistake or not) they're DEmotivators to play, since people become afraid of losing points and rank.

I made this point in the fighting game community, where online play is considered a joke anyways due to lag. "If noone cares about online "skill", then why bother having your ladder be skill based? Just have an incrementing point system - a system that rewards people who play more matches. Because you want people to play more matches."

Of course, this isnt quite true in FAF, since online play is standard here. But having some sort of system that rewards being active in random ranked could be useful.

What's a good system? I have no idea. This is the tricky intersection of mathematics and psychology. As a naive first suggestion, some sort of simple ladder/league/thing where:

- Each season lasts for a fixed period of time. (A month, for example.)
- Ladder points reset after each season.
- If you win a match, you gain 10 points.
- If you lose a match, you lose 2 points.
- Standard matchmaking still applies? (ie. you still fight people assigned to you by the matchmaker.)
- There are varying levels of rewards for the top 50%, 20%, 10%, #1 players at the end of each season, etc.
- Optionally, there might be a cap or diminishing rewards in the amount of points you can gain per day.

It sounds dumb and wont work, right? But that's a bit like saying the Wii would never sell. Sometimes people's psychology doesnt work the way we rational types wish :P

Of course, in FAF we don't really have anything to reward people with. There's no ingame cosmetic stuff we can give, exclusive chat avatars, achievements, titles, or anything. (And yes, I think they're kinda silly myself, but there's no question that they seem to be a powerful motivator for some people.)

And yes, the system can be gamed - whoever has time to play the most matches, will have a dominating advantage in the ladder. (the cap would reduce this a little.) But that's the most important feature - we want the system to incentivise playing lots of matches, because we want people to be more active.

Of course, there's a competing view that, "I'd rather play one good match than 100 mismatched ones." But those people make friends and then play player matches - random ranked is usually a "friend discovery" system for them. Putting those people aside, it can be good to create a space where people who value variety and activity can play lots of games and feel like they're gaining something. (even if it's worthless points.)

Don't underestimate the addictive power of watching numbers go up :P

--------------

(I think the remaining playerbase is probably too set in their ways to be influenced by such a system. But if the original plan was, "Do FAF release and then start advertising widely on reddit/social media/gaming sites/etc", then something like this would be useful to motivate random new players to play more.)
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions