1 vs 1 Ladder

Moderator: keyser

Re: 1 vs 1 Ladder

Postby Zock » 09 Aug 2012, 11:03

The competetive gaming is close to dead since a very long time, even before the release of SC2. I don't think this will ever change in the future, unless you use great piles of money to allure good players.

Getting good players back in another way doesn't seem very likley to me.

However, there are many new players, most don't try the ladder, but some do. And i agree from personal experience that they play almost always against "top" players in their first games. I haven't seen anyone of the guys i played against in their first match playing more games after that.

While it's maybe actually working against TrueSkill, i'd still like to see some kind of protection for new players. The current system would work with a lot of players, but with a small playerbase as FA, its imho more important not to demotivate new players then determine their skill in Trueskill as efficient as possible.
gg no re

ohh! what a pretty shining link! https://www.youtube.com/c/Zockyzock
Zock
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 397 times
FAF User Name: Zock

Postby Ze_PilOt » 09 Aug 2012, 11:09

Problem is, if I wait for new players to be matched against new players or low rated players, they will search for weeks without finding anyone.

Also, they are matched against the lower ranked player available when they start searching. So if a top player and a low rated player search at the same time, the new player will be matched against the low rated player, not the top one.

If you have a way to magically spawn players when needed, then it's possible. Otherwise, the placement warning is the only thing I can do.

And if they are matched against new players, two things :
- They can be matched versus a top players (new != noob).
- They will never be rated correctly (or in bigger amount of time).
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby dstojkov » 09 Aug 2012, 11:37

Hi guys,

Ze_PilOt wrote:It's the exact same system than the starcraft 2 one (and I don't think that SC2 ladder is dead.

I don't know if you serious in taking Blizzard as a valuable comparison. Lot of people don't like ( me included ) the Blizzard's philosophy because this is a game fun breaking philosophy ...
I saw so many people leave WoW not because the game is functional or bug prone ... The same for Diablo 3 so much enjoyed the idea that there will be a continuation of the diablo's series and now i see that they don't like the game at all ! because it's just another WoW with some mascara around. So many people leave WoW to join Diablo 3 game and they are now so pissed off.

The philosophy of blizzard is a little bit of the role of the police agent: nerf 90% buff 10% period

I personally think that is only a matter of time before their crash. They are only lucky because no concurrent is out there making no choice for the player as soon as a new game will raise offering support and FUN they will fail so hard. And it will be only justice to the frustration they bring into our life and gaming experience in general

I prefer a game with bugs that sometime can drive me crazy rather a game without bug but boring to death.

So please don't try to embrace the blizzard philosophy it will be definitively the game ender of FA's soul.

Regards
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Ze_PilOt » 09 Aug 2012, 12:12

I'm taking a working ladder system as example. Nothing more or less.

You really should stop extrapolating all I say.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby crippen » 09 Aug 2012, 12:22

If we want people to play ranked, we have to find out who our playerbase really are, and what we want. I think that, instead of trying to please and attract people who cant stand losing, we should seek people who dont mind losing and see the value a small community offer, and some great gameplay instead of a way to boost their ego and cry whenever they lost 4-5games in a row.

My 2 cents are:

1. Lets find those people who are willing to learn and be creative, who sees the value in getting a little better each time, and who appreciate belonging to the FA community. Lets not try to attract only those who value winning 90% of the time, this is Supcom, you will lose.

2. The competive scene can be kept alive with some monthly tournaments and if someone would be up for the task, top 5 or 10 strategy of the month,bestmoments etc can be video edited into some awesome youtube vid that can be used for our own competive inspiration (to hope you can be featured), getting to know new playernames who might have shown good games, and it will attract new players. I remember we had this in SupCom when it first came out, it was awesome.

Before we make a campaign to get new players, maybe we should please those new we have, ispiring them to tell their friends about this game. So now we only need to activate the other talents this community can offer, cause ze_pilot cant do it all.
crippen
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: crippen

Postby Prince__ » 09 Aug 2012, 12:33

I guess it's the same thing as the Map Vault.That thing isn't called 1v1 ranked or something like that .. just "Automatch".If I would be completly new I wouldn't think about that's for ranked.Also it's at the top ,right hand side ,where nobody (who's really new) recognizes that there's something or that you have to click @ the faction pictures ... I mean if the peoples don't even try to find the download button in the Map Vault ,why they should try that out? Well normal peoples would ask ,but we already know that' a bit complicated for some.

Just my opinion.
Prince__
Priest

Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: UES_Prince

Postby PsychoBoB » 09 Aug 2012, 13:32

I agree with Prince. The things are not very obvious within the "Find Games" tab for new players. It would be better to make this part of the lobby a little bit more self explaining. Maybe just replace the faction symbols with "1vs1 Automatch" (same style as the other custom games). The faction should be selectable in a popup (similar to the other custom games)
Just my two cents...
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby Ze_PilOt » 09 Aug 2012, 14:11

That's way too late for changing that.

We were in beta for a year, now it's like it is, for better or worst.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby PsychoBoB » 09 Aug 2012, 14:32

Hard words but i understand you. But maybe you think twice about some things because FAF has got some new players since it had its release.
If you fear the dark you have never seen what light can cause!
PsychoBoB
Priest

Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: McNeil

Postby Koecher » 09 Aug 2012, 15:45

I still think that a season-system would be nice. (Like in often "quoted" SC2 ;) )

Ok, for FAF it might ends up in a few unbalanced games at the beginning of every season.
But also, if there are season they perhaps motivate ppl to play more often. Also it takes away the "fear of the Ladder", since you know, even if you just mess your rank/rating up in one season, you know you don't "have to" fix it but can start again from the scratch in the next season.
Koecher
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Koecher

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions