Moderator: keyser

Re: Automatic Nuke Ping

Postby Duck_42 » 04 Jul 2012, 23:34

Ok, here it is...

Auto Nuke Ping.zip
Auto Nuke Ping Mod (Alpha Version)
(43 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Instructions:
1. Place init_autoping.lua in the FAF bin folder (C:\ProgramData\FAForever\bin on my system)
2. Place AutoNukePing.duckmod in the FAF gamedata folder (C:\ProgramData\FAForever\gamedata on my system).
3. Put the shortcut file anywhere you want and use it to run Forged Alliance.

I've only tested this using skirmish mode with the AI, so there may be some bugs. If you run across something, please let me know.
Duck_42

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Duck_42

Postby VIP » 18 Jul 2012, 05:48

Nice utilite duck
Has found some glitch - after u pressed f1( window with hotkeys), u cant close it anymore
Tested again & seems its work fine - window closed, mb GUI issue
VIP
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Duck_42 » 18 Jul 2012, 13:13

VIP, if it happens again, can you post the game log file? That would help a lot with tracking down script errors. Thanks.
Duck_42

Postby eXcalibur » 27 Jul 2012, 17:57

i have just tested your mod. really nice!!!

i did not have any problems with the f1 menu. i had problems the first time i wanted to try your mod: then i could not press alt+f2 anymore (the cheat windows did not open anymore). i am not sure it was because of your mod, though. the second time i did not have any problems with alt+f2. if others experience the same problem it is worth looking into it, but not right now!

i noticed that multiple nukes fired only produce one ping. nice.

i also noticed that there is no sound "strategic launch detected" anymore. at least when i fire one of my nukes. is this done on purpose? maybe it is the default behaviour and i have not noticed that before, but this sound should definitely be there for all enemy players...

the ping appear to be timed though. it was not affected by simspeed. if you cannot make the ping disappear when a nuke hits the spot, then try to have the timing as now, but read the time from the simspeed inicator ingame. this way the ping gets show a long time if your game runs with a speed of -9, but shown only a short time if you run the game with +10.

unfortunately i did not try to fire a multiple nukes as fast as i can (e.g. with a delay of 1 second), because of the following problem:

when uninstalling your mod (deleting the 3 files) and restarting FA the alt+f2 command does not work anymore! (even if i copy your files to same location as before)
nothing i did solved this problem, except deleting the Game.prefs file, starting FA again and manually setting all options again!

so there must be deffinitely a problem with your mod and the Game.prefs file. can you confirm my findings?
if not tell me and i can send you a log file and tell you what mods i have installed....
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby Duck_42 » 27 Jul 2012, 19:10

i did not have any problems with the f1 menu. i had problems the first time i wanted to try your mod: then i could not press alt+f2 anymore (the cheat windows did not open anymore). i am not sure it was because of your mod, though. the second time i did not have any problems with alt+f2. if others experience the same problem it is worth looking into it, but not right now!

I don't know of any reason why this mod would affect the UI operation. If you can post a game long though, then I can try to track down the problem.

i also noticed that there is no sound "strategic launch detected" anymore. at least when i fire one of my nukes. is this done on purpose? maybe it is the default behaviour and i have not noticed that before, but this sound should definitely be there for all enemy players...

Regarding the "strategic launch detected" sound, AFAIK that only works in multiplayer. If you're testing this in skirmish mode with AIs, that should be the expected behavior. If you were using it in an online game though, post the game.log and I'll see what I can figure out.

the ping appear to be timed though. it was not affected by simspeed. if you cannot make the ping disappear when a nuke hits the spot, then try to have the timing as now, but read the time from the simspeed inicator ingame.

I did notice the issue with the display time. However, this happens with all pings. The folks at GPG didn't sync the ping times with the sim speed. It might be fixable, but if it's not a problem for the rest of the pings, I don't see why it would be an issue for this one.

when uninstalling your mod (deleting the 3 files) and restarting FA the alt+f2 command does not work anymore

That's really weird. If you've removed the mod files, it should be gone. Go ahead and send me (you can post it here or PM it to me if you want) the log file, and I'll take a look at it.
Duck_42

Postby eXcalibur » 29 Jul 2012, 16:47

i have good news for you: it is NOT your FAULT.

the problem seems to appear without using your mod as well. look here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1600&p=16649#p16649

unfortunately i was not able to recreate the problem in a way that i have a log file and game.prefs files to share.... maybe i can do that in the future when the problem occurs again to me.

finally i was able to test your mod by fireing 6 nukes withing 3 seconds. it showed all the pings.
when i fired 6 nukes at the same time, it only showed one ping.
very well done!!!

i don't see any problems with your mod anymore. it is ready to be put into FAF!
have you contacted ze_pilot about that?
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby Duck_42 » 29 Jul 2012, 19:30

I saw that thread, so I figured there might be some other cause for the problem. If it's something to do with the game.prefs file, try using something like WinMerge to view the differences (i.e. make a copy of the working file and compare it to the file after running the mods).

have you contacted ze_pilot about that?

I actually didn't create this mod for myself. While I'd like to see it as part of FAF, it won't really bother me personally if it doesn't get added. If the powers that be (they know who they are) think this is a neat feature, then perhaps they'll add it in (or pester Zep about doing so).
Duck_42

Previous

Return to FAF Suggestions