Automatic Nuke Ping

Moderator: keyser

Re: Automatic Nuke Ping

Postby Duck_42 » 29 Jun 2012, 22:49

a nice solution would be to show just one "nuke ping" for every launch order given.
so if there are 10 nukes fired at one target, there should be only one "nuke ping" at the target location and NOT 10.

That could get really complicated...although you do have a point about it possibly being a problem in a game with large numbers of nukes.
Duck_42

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Duck_42

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 30 Jun 2012, 12:43

Nice solution to the problem, thanks for doing something about it.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby rootbeer23 » 30 Jun 2012, 13:23

Duck_42 wrote:
a nice solution would be to show just one "nuke ping" for every launch order given.
so if there are 10 nukes fired at one target, there should be only one "nuke ping" at the target location and NOT 10.

That could get really complicated...although you do have a point about it possibly being a problem in a game with large numbers of nukes.

keep track of the time you generate a nuke ping and dont generate a new ping until at least 5 seconds have
elapsed. works correctly 95% of the time. if you want to be correct in 3% more cases, allow 2 pings
in 5 seconds, as double launches are not super rare. it does not really need to be accurate in corner cases.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 30 Jun 2012, 15:37

There is something else though. With several launchers (or just one sub), nukes can be launched almost simultaneously at several different directions. How should that be dealt with? I wouldn't like to see the ping of 2 nukes at locations that do not have my units in it, whereas the 3rd (or even 4th) would be targeted at places where I am or where I am going.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 30 Jun 2012, 15:51

rootbeer23 wrote:keep track of the time you generate a nuke ping and dont generate a new ping until at least 5 seconds have
elapsed. works correctly 95% of the time. if you want to be correct in 3% more cases, allow 2 pings
in 5 seconds, as double launches are not super rare. it does not really need to be accurate in corner cases.

this is wrong.
just don't place new ping if it is going to appear in a certain area around already existing one. pretty simple check
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Raging_Squirrel

Postby Karottenrambo » 30 Jun 2012, 16:12

eXcalibur wrote:it would be helpful indeed, but it could get messy in games like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLjWP_xG1wk&feature=plcp

X100(whatever) thermo games with >10 nukes at once... yep thats really a scenario that must be considered. :roll:

Just make it a configurable option which is default enabled and the problem is solved.
Karottenrambo

Been liked: 0 time

Postby rootbeer23 » 30 Jun 2012, 16:58

Plasma_Wolf wrote:There is something else though. With several launchers (or just one sub), nukes can be launched almost simultaneously at several different directions. How should that be dealt with? I wouldn't like to see the ping of 2 nukes at locations that do not have my units in it, whereas the 3rd (or even 4th) would be targeted at places where I am or where I am going.

Well yes, you described the 2% corner case. Whether you have to worry about your units when your opponent is being
hit by 3 nukes is debatable.
ps: IMHO the marker should remain visible for the lifetime of the nuke if thats doable.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Duck_42 » 01 Jul 2012, 21:10

If I keep track of each army's last ping, I can filter out subsequent pings at or near the same location (within a set timeframe) . That should eliminate most ping spam problems, without filtering out any pings that you'd want to see at other locations.

Regarding the lifetime of the ping, right now, the one I'm working on is set to 10 seconds. It is doable to make it last for the duration of the missle, but unless I link each missle to a ping marker, it gets really complicated again. As cool as that feature might be, it could cause performance issues if 50 nukes were launched at the same target.
Duck_42

Postby Duck_42 » 04 Jul 2012, 22:55

:?:

Ok, I've forked the Forged Alliance Forever - LUA project on bitbucket, made the changes for this mod, and posted them back up to bitbucket...now what?
Duck_42

Postby FunkOff » 04 Jul 2012, 22:57

post your .scd mod, post an init file and a shortcut file to launch it, and let us install and run/test the mod. Then if it's good, tell zep and he'll make it part of FAF.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

PreviousNext

Return to FAF Suggestions