Destroy Shield Button

Moderator: keyser

Destroy Shield Button

Postby realcat » 05 Mar 2017, 00:11

Hello, i have a suggestion:
I think there should be an option to destroy the shield of shield-units so they can profit of the better regen. Especially commanders. It could be like the change-upgrade with an extra dialog asking for verification so you don't do it by mistake.
I think it should be there since you already can destroy your own shield (unit-shields at least) with aoe-weapons and it isn't unfair in any way since you loose your shield and become more vulnerable.
But if you sit in your base with 10% shield left and know you can defend your commander for the next minutes it would be nice to have that option. Otherwise you have to build tml or arty just to destroy that shield.
For base-shields it might also add a new mechanic to the game with more stuff to micromanage in an arty-fight and such.

Someone might have had this idea already, so are there any reasons why this shouldn't be there?
Last edited by realcat on 05 Mar 2017, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
realcat
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: realcat

Re: Destroy Shield Button

Postby ZLO_RD » 05 Mar 2017, 00:42

that would be convinient and make shield micro easyer.
also would be good to just make shield RECHARGE while it is off, instead of regening or not regening at all
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby ZLO_RD » 05 Mar 2017, 00:51

I didn't really think this trought. in case of my suggestion shield would recharge while not consuming power. i just think that if i have half way damaged shield, i should be able to turn shield off and make it recharge, and whenever i want, say when recharge boosted it to 75% i can just turn shield on. or when i reaches 100% it would activate automaticly. that is how i see it. it is bit more convinient than simple ability to "kill" your own shield. but my suggestion also buffs shields alot. i would say that adding ability to "kill" your onw shield so it start recharge from scrath it good.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby keyser » 05 Mar 2017, 00:52

gonna quote yourself zlo
"recharge is great, but it is so much interesting mechanic
almost feels like you need to go take some damage so shield will recharge
cause there is no other way to make it recharge"

well i guess the guy figure out how "to make it recharge" by using aoe weapon ^^

now i'm not sure if we should : remove AOE on shield, ban people that try to kill their shield on purpose, or just make it possible to recharge when you put it off (or something).
Last edited by keyser on 05 Mar 2017, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby keyser » 05 Mar 2017, 00:55

about your idea zlo
what happen if you just want to not consume e, put it off, and that it goes back automatically on after reaching 100% ?

also if it's 50% and you put if off, does it start recharge from 50% or 0% ?
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby realcat » 05 Mar 2017, 01:03

also would be good to just make shield RECHARGE while it is off

That is a more elegant solution and also logical. But that would be too op if you could use recharge-regen between arty-shots and pauses in fighting.

i should be able to turn shield off and make it recharge, and whenever i want, say when recharge boosted it to 75% i can just turn shield on. or when i reaches 100% it would activate automaticly.

That would be the other option. That it locks you in recharge from the point the shield had. But i think that still can be abused. You could just repeadetly recharge from 95%. Or 75+ between shots.

Easiest is to make it recharge from zero so it isn't abusable in any way.
realcat
Crusader

Postby IceDreamer » 05 Mar 2017, 01:12

The gameplay of this idea (Having shields regen at their 'fast' rate whenever they are healing up) should maybe be discussed. However, the implementation would just be to make the two recharge amounts the same, not a button or anything like that. Can't give one player who knows the trick such a huge advantage, much better to just make it 'the way shields work'.

The reason shields work they way they do is because without this, attacking without being CERTAIN you can break the shield in one go becomes pointless. Shield recharge is REALLY FAST healing, so you'd never be able to wear it down. Shields would become unassailable in the hands of someone with good micro.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby realcat » 05 Mar 2017, 01:16

Or you make it so that shield recharges from the point it had but it has to be lower than xx% amount so it takes at least x seconds to recharge and it only turns back on when it's at 100%. Just so you can't recharge ministeps. That would have to be playtested.

But i don't know if that doesn't make the shields too strong. Though it also gives the opponent an opening if he sees it.
realcat
Crusader

Postby IceDreamer » 05 Mar 2017, 01:19

I suppose one _possible_ option would be a "Go offline and recharge" button, but if we went that route it would probably still drain E, and you'd not be able to turn back on until full charge, to keep it a CHOICE instead of a 'Non-choice' (Do it or you'll lose if the enemy knows to do it).
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby KeyBlue » 05 Mar 2017, 01:19

Could you explain what your suggestion does differently from the current shield dome toggle?

Since with that you can just toggle your shields off and on again and it'll quickly recharge while down.
KeyBlue
Priest

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 93 times
FAF User Name: KeyBlue

Next

Return to FAF Suggestions