Area Command mod 2.9 from the Chinese FA community

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Area Command mod 2.9 from the Chinese FA community

Postby nine2 » 11 Oct 2014, 07:31

a+
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Poch » 20 Oct 2014, 17:35

I made a very short video showcasing how cool this mod is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGjYqpT ... e=youtu.be

Poch

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Poch

Postby keyser » 20 Oct 2014, 19:48

i'm kind of afraid how this will go if implemented.
i'm not against improving game.
but just take a look, you can have like 10 bomber and snipe every single engie of a base, with only 1 click.
ok you opponent can do the same trick with the interceptor and target 1 bomber/1 interceptor.

i'm just afraid that it will be the only way of microing. i mean if this micro is better than our usual asf micro, i don't think implement it will be a good idea (1 click win vs tons of click). I'm pretty sure it won't, but i'm just willing to see how it goes, if it lower the micro skill of the game, or only render the game better by removing some boring micro.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby Aulex » 20 Oct 2014, 22:02

The area attack thing imo is good and is just a better implementation of the current spread attack. The area reclaim though is controversial, not sure how i feel about that. On one hand it removes a lot of tedious clicking, on the other hand it makes this game more systematic and focused around perfect execution. One thing that needs to be taken note is that it will reclaim both trees and rocks while in comparison you can just bypass the trees and reclaim rocks with manual reclaim, so there are drawbacks too it, but i'm not sure if it counteracts what it does to the game.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Quant » 20 Nov 2018, 02:40

Anyone know why this proposal lost steam? Manual reclaiming is easily my least favorite part of faf, and I'm sure that others feel the same.
Quant
Crusader

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Quant

Postby PhilipJFry » 20 Nov 2018, 20:00

Quant wrote:Anyone know why this proposal lost steam? Manual reclaiming is easily my least favorite part of faf, and I'm sure that others feel the same.
have fun reading
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 21 Nov 2018, 16:47

Quant wrote:Anyone know why this proposal lost steam? Manual reclaiming is easily my least favorite part of faf, and I'm sure that others feel the same.

Do yourself a favor and play a game with a modern UI (meaning Homeworld or later).

Those things will never change in FAF. The 'pros' think those are 'features' and make the 'skill' of the game. They are hypocrites though: If a UI mod tweak only benefits them, anything is fair game.

[edit]
I only know of some minor tweaks that can make life easier, like mex on assist upgrade+on assist ring compatibility, hotkey factory upgrade+queue. Ringing mexes with blueprints and upgrading a bunch of factories is another major pain in the ass UI wise. I don't wanna know what else is possible. Maybe pausing/unpausing engies real quick when their destination comes within their build range, so you don't have to give move commands to reclaim treegroups. Might be possible reading the ETAs.
Last edited by SpoCk0nd0pe on 21 Nov 2018, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby ZeRen » 21 Nov 2018, 16:54

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:

Do yourself a favor and play a game with a modern UI (meaning Homeworld or later).

Those things will never change in FAF. The 'pros' think those are 'features' and make the 'skill' of the game. They are hypocrites though: If a UI mod tweak only benefits them, anything is fair game.

hehe you right, something is feature, but other is skill removal

btw you can use macro for "area" reclaim
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby SpoCk0nd0pe » 21 Nov 2018, 17:01

ZeRen wrote:hehe you right, something is feature, but other is skill removal

btw you can use macro for "area" reclaim

It's even more disgusting then that:

If only they can do it: Hurraaay! More rating!
If everyone can do it: That's dumping down gameplay!

Sure, if you invest a lot of time into custom UI mods, helping with your gameplay, you don't want the UI to improve for everyone. The gap would narrow.

What do you mean by macro? A mouse macro would be very map specific.
SpoCk0nd0pe

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 37 times
FAF User Name: SpoCk0nd0pe

Postby keyser » 21 Nov 2018, 20:21

:kreygasm: more of these conspiracy theories please

also we are talking here about the most border line mod of the game between ui and automated tool (read as cheating).

usually it's pretty much obvious, ie changing icon is obviously UI

some stuff are well accepted like you give an assist order with an engie on a mexx making it start the upgrade then pause itself until the engie start assiting it; or i can think of the spread move (not split move AKA shift g) that allow you unit to get well spread after you give several order and press the hotkey.

some stuff are polemic, as the game does it for you without you having to think about it, i'm talking about e throttle of eco manager (or the mass fab manager version), the auto-pausing of radar/stealth when powerstalling. Some even more obvious version of that would be the auto-hover bomber from washy.

If you are wondering why UI enhancement aren't introduce as game feature, it's mainly because we lack of developer (on a side note we don't want to create to much option, otherwise you would have 464648 options in the ingame option)

As for the polemic part, i'm against their introduction into the game (i'm not the only one) and would actually like to see them being banned. But it's pretty hard to achieve and not everyone agree on that.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools