New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FX's

Postby IceDreamer » 23 Mar 2014, 02:48

Dotwars isn't great for showing of fancy FX :(
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby RK4000 » 23 Mar 2014, 22:06

Uploaded replay of 3v3 Open Palms game with explosions. Mostly T1 stage, kinda bad play by me too, but it shows the changed UEF explosions nicely.

Also uploaded it in first post.
Attachments
Open Palms 3v3 boom boom.fafreplay
Explosion Demonstration #9: Open Palms 3v3, T1 land mostly, some air aswell. All factions.
(124.62 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Last edited by RK4000 on 24 Mar 2014, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby IceDreamer » 24 Mar 2014, 01:14

OK so feedback from me:

All Air is way too big, but as you said that is very much concept only so nothing to worry about there.
Cybran and Aeon T1 Land explosions - Beautiful. Really really nice.
Seraphim T1 Land explosion - Too big, too brash. It works on the Thaam (Just) but it's much to violent an explosion coming from an Engineer or an AA. The flash boldness or brightness or something needs to be toned down about 20%.
UEF T1 Land Explosion - The flash is right, the smoke seems right, but the fire is too compact, it needs to spread out more, just a bit. It seems understated. On the other hand, the way it is right now looks perfect on Engineers.
The Shockwave - Nice idea but too distracting. That warping effect moves fast and shifts things, it's very irritating in a large fight when you are trying to focus on something. Reduce the warping amount? Reduce the radius? Reduce the opacity of the effect, somehow? Something...

And now the BIG ask... You like your coding, but there's one massive problem with this whole mod, and that is that Aeon explosions will always be Green, Cybran red, etcetera... Is it even REMOTELY possible that you could attempt the unbelievable, and have the hue of the explosion be defined by the Team Colour of the unit which is exploding... That would take this mod from being a decent improvement to an "OMG how did he do that" moment in SupCom's history.

FOR ALL THOSE WONDERING

I began extremely sceptical about this. Too many bright lights and primary colours ruining my nice gritty aesthetic. After seeing it in action though, there's great potential. Checking it out and giving feedback is the best way to make it perfect, so get checking!
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Aulex » 24 Mar 2014, 01:49

IceDreamer wrote:Dotwars isn't great for showing of fancy FX :(

This is actually really good, because the explosions don't distract from the gameplay aspect.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby SupremeBurger » 24 Mar 2014, 02:01

The explosions fit the game better in my opinion because the units are not powered by gas their powered by electricity to the electric explosions looks good (falling plane looks the best) :ugeek:
SupremeBurger
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: SupremeBurger

Postby RK4000 » 26 Mar 2014, 01:09

The mod is now a standalone in the vault!

I have decided to separate my mod from Supreme Destruction and upload it as a regular mod onto the Vault for easier access to test things, and to allow playing with the improved explosions without changing balance.

Version 1 is now live on the vault, under the name "rks_explosions".
RK4000
Priest

Postby RK4000 » 27 Mar 2014, 14:05

Update for today:

*Drastically improved the way explosions look with bloom off (the explosions now look more-or-less the same as with bloom on).
*UEF explosion changed: More velocity for the fire particle in all tech levels.
*Reduced emission rate on airplane fall-down effects.

The mod has been uploaded to the vault as "rks_explosions V2".
RK4000
Priest

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 27 Mar 2014, 14:39

Is it not possible to just update the mod version number in a lua file? It can be done with maps and that avoids a lot of clutter in the map vault (no more map, map v2, map v3 etc.) and it would avoid even more clutter in the mod vault because you're publishing a WIP mod.

Here's the link on how to do it with map versions: http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6781#p66488. Perhaps it's the same with mods, perhaps it's completely different or undoable, but I think it would be good to have a look at it.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Man_of_Action » 30 Mar 2014, 18:46

Hey Guys, this is a display of one of the replays of a mod that beautifies FAF, enjoy!
Attachments
2028536-Man_of_Action.fafreplay
(252.5 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Man_of_Action

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Man_of_Action

Postby RK4000 » 30 Mar 2014, 19:36

Also a slight heads-up.

The strange massive lag that comes when many units explode at once is not due to the explosions itself, but to the logging of the exploding things into the console.

The mod is, for obvious reasons, logging various things when a unit explodes. What unit it is, and other valuable information. Let's say it needs to send about 15 lines of code to the console. When this happens for many units at once, in a single engine tic, things will inevitably lag a little, but this lag will be removed when the mod is proven to be bug-less, since I will also remove the logging, or, if nothing else, significantly reduce the amount of information it relays to the console.

Enjoy the mod and post more replays/suggestions!

Plasma_Wolf wrote:Is it not possible to just update the mod version number in a lua file? It can be done with maps and that avoids a lot of clutter in the map vault (no more map, map v2, map v3 etc.) and it would avoid even more clutter in the mod vault because you're publishing a WIP mod.

Here's the link on how to do it with map versions: http://www.faforever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6781#p66488. Perhaps it's the same with mods, perhaps it's completely different or undoable, but I think it would be good to have a look at it.

No idea, I tried just upping the version number from 1 to 2, and it told me a mod with this UID was already uploaded, so I changed it.
RK4000
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools