New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Postby RK4000 » 31 Mar 2020, 20:40

SoHuje wrote:This mod sounds really cool but am noobie here where is the vault ? :( looked and just cant find

If you are using the main client, it's here:

ss+(2020-03-31+at+08.33.33).png
ss+(2020-03-31+at+08.33.33).png (90.04 KiB) Viewed 2463 times

You have to search for "RK's Explosions" or just "Explosions", and it will find it.

If you are using the old client, you unfortunately won't be able to find the mod in the vault, as sadly only the new client supports recently uploaded mods from what I understand. The old client doesn't show them.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby RK4000 » 05 Apr 2020, 02:50

Some news.

Good news: Work on the next version begins sometime next week! I've gotten some feedback, but I still need more! So get on playing! :)

Bad news: Currently the ability to make mods rated is bugged. The code that handles this does not work right, and thus mod councilors cannot make the mod rated, even though the mod is eligible to be made rated.

I will continue to post updates on development of the new version, as well as the ranked status. The ranked status of the mod (as well as further development goals/progress/ETA/etc) is now displayed on the first page.
RK4000
Priest

Postby RK4000 » 13 Apr 2020, 03:55

Another update!

ss+(2020-04-13+at+03.32.30).png
ss+(2020-04-13+at+03.32.30).png (454.64 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

What is that 5th plane on the far right you may ask?

Well, even though it was not planned at the beginning, due to popular request, RK's Explosions will now feature support for Nomads in its next release! I've finished making the basic explosion style for every unit type they have, now begins the process of fine tuning. I also have to add damage effects as well.

Some backstory:
The explosions in my mod were always somewhat designed by principle of sticking with the lore, and they are as follows:

-UEF are the most conventional, most earth-technology derived units. Therefore, they explode into basic fire and smoke.
-Cybran units are more intricate, fragile, overengineered, and somewhat based on Seraphim tech, though not nearly as much as Aeon. They explode with additional energy discharges.
-Aeon units are molten metal formed using energy and very much based on Seraphim tech, therefore they disintegrate and release an energy aura type explosion when they explode.
-Seraphim units are unique in that they have both aspects of energy discharge and an energy aura type explosion. This is shown in the mod by having Cybran, Aeon and Seraphim explosions having some things in common between them. The Seraphim explosions are therefore a mix of both Cybran and Aeon so to say, but with their own twist added (to show that neither Cybran nor Aeon fully understood the Seraphim tech, as the lore says).

Of course those were only the general design principles and obviously due to the need to be able to differentiate the effects at a glance while also providing necessary coverage of the unit as it's being turned into a wreck sometimes makes it difficult to 100% stick to those principles. I have, however, tried to stick to them as much as possible, since a lot of FA's general design aesthetic uses the same principles. (You can actually watch some old pre-releae interviews of FA where they talk about how you can see certain design aspects in Aeon units that mimic Seraphim technology, as the lore would suggest)

That being said, the aesthetic for nomads explosions comes from the same design principle. I won't go into details about the nomads backstory, but their units are basically based on outdated earth tech that has been brought up-to-date and they use a lot of plasma powered components. Therefore, they are close to UEF style explosions, but more plasma/heat based, to help with both sticking to the lore, while also making them different enough from UEF to be able to differentiate them from a glance.

So far I only have the screenshot above, more updates on progress will come later. The scheduled date for V11 release has been changed to be around late April.
RK4000
Priest

Postby Exotic_Retard » 13 Apr 2020, 11:41

jokes on RK, he has already got more juicy nomads content for you without even realising it.

Here are his (WIP) explosions for each land tech level:

obviously they look a lot better in the game than on screen, so stay tuned, presumably :>

if all goes well ill pull another fast one and just integrate them into the nomads mod once rk-babe is done with them.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby CDRMV » 15 Apr 2020, 00:51

Hello RK4000,
wow good work on the new Effects and Explosions.
They look really fantastic and I 'm looking forward to the new Release.

However I have two suggestions:
Did you know the Firey Explosion Mod too?
You can find it here on Moddb:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/firey-explosion-mod
There are several nice Effects in this Mod like Air Explosions and so on.
Maybe you can use it as an reference to create your own Effects for each Faction as well.

An another Mod, which reworks some of the Textures of several existing Explosions, Effects and many more is:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/supreme-battlefield.

An another Suggestion is:
If you check out the Firey Explosion Mod or the Supreme Battlefeel Mod, you will see several new Water Splash Effects or Explosions for Naval Units.
Those Water Splash Effects could be replace the Vanilla ones for Impact Effects on Water and for Death Animations on Naval Units too.

In my opinion this could improve you Mod in several additional Effects. :)
All in all
Keep up the good work.
Best regards
CDRMV
CDRMV

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: CDRMV

Postby RK4000 » 16 Apr 2020, 06:10

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, the design philosophies of these mods differ too much compared to my mod, and it would look out of place if i used similar effects. My mod was always meant to be added eye candy, without being too over the top and without impacting performance or gameplay in any way.

The problem with those two mods is, for example, that many emitters last a very very very long time. I simply don't want to do that as it distracts too much from gameplay.

My mod has always been designed such that when you are playing, you aren't supposed to notice it that much (except for the experimental stuff), but when casting, you can really notice it. Neither firey explosions nor battlefeel are made like this.

For example battlefeel's tac missile trails are absurdly high-particle and they stand out too much. While it may look kind of cool, it just wouldn't fit with my mod. Fiery explosion's air deaths are cool, and I've also been planning something similar since V7, but they're too over the top and distracting in that mod. I want to make them way less obvious and optimized in terms of particle count.

That brings us to our second point: because many of those mods' effects are high particle, they would impact performance too much for my liking. I've always tried to optimize where I can, and I can assure you in big games battlefeel and fiery explosions hit the particle cap a lot. I use way less particles in my effects than either of those mods, and I still used to have trouble with hitting the particle cap in older versions (V2, V3 and V4 were notable examples of this). It may not be an issue for the creators of those mods, but I want to stay away from that.

In short, I actually think some effects are pretty cool in both of those mods, however, they don't fit the design philosophy of my mod, (as they would distract too much), and they use too many particles.

And to finish off, even if the effects would fit my mod and have no negative impact on performance, it would also be quite a d*** move to just copy the effects from those mods and add it to my own. I simply don't want to do that. :)

I'll add a FAQ for this because I've been asked about this a few times already, even once before in this topic. See here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6813&start=80#p72146

But still, thanks for your input. Glad you enjoy it.
RK4000
Priest

Postby ADAMSTRANGE » 16 Apr 2020, 12:48

WHERE IS THE MOD DOWNLOAD LINK ?

THANKS
ADAMSTRANGE

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Rowey » 16 Apr 2020, 13:12

FAF Client -> Vault -> Mods -> Rk's Explosions
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby CDRMV » 17 Apr 2020, 22:02

Hello RK4000,
Thanks for the detailed response on my Suggestions.
Really appreciate this. :)

I agree with you about the Design Philosophies in general.
Each Mod, which has been developed over the years has its own Design Philosophie in several things like Units, Effects, Features and many more.
This makes a lot of Variety for Players and Room for new Ideas, Creativity and of course new Mods from Creators.
Personally I'm working on my own Modproject for this Game, which has it's own Design Philosophie.
So I can directly understand and agree your arguments in this point.

All in all:
Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward for more. :)
Best regards
CDRMV
CDRMV

Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: CDRMV

Postby RK4000 » 18 Apr 2020, 04:44

Importat news! RK's Explosions V11 is now officially ranked! Enjoy! :)
RK4000
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools