New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FXs (rks_explosions)

Postby RK4000 » 24 Mar 2020, 18:18

The latest version is now online! Look for "RK's Explosions" version 10 in the vault! Have fun! :)

Biggest changes:
-New Cybran and Aeon nuke damage FX
-New damage state FX for ALL units (Land, Air, Sea, Structure... everything), to replace the generic base game ones
-Upgrades to textures (better resolution, transparency fixes)
-New custom explosion for Scathis
-Improvements in Experimental explosion timing and scale
-Naval units now detect whether they are exploding below or above water, and play the corresponding correct effect
-Air unit fall-down effects improved
-CZAR damage state FPS drop fixed
-Ahwassa death explosion FPS drop fixed
-And many more tiny changes that you will have to see for yourself. :mrgreen:
Last edited by RK4000 on 27 Mar 2020, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Re: New explosion FXs (rks_explosions)

Postby speed2 » 24 Mar 2020, 19:57

zhoujy18 wrote:Great to see you back!Looking forward to the new release.
Just a small request,Could you make this version available for the vanilla version?I have tried the V9 for many times on my 3640,resulting in error.

No, we won't make that.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Re: New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Postby zhoujy18 » 25 Mar 2020, 02:27

It is a pity.:(
zhoujy18
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Zhoujy

Postby RK4000 » 25 Mar 2020, 02:58

Try the latest version, it may work. But the easiest solution would be to just use the latest FAF patch when playing with the mod. :)
RK4000
Priest

Postby speed2 » 25 Mar 2020, 15:40

Why do you want to play with outdated version anyway?
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby zhoujy18 » 26 Mar 2020, 02:34

Some of the mods i use are not supported on the faf version.I have been using over 40 mods,and i have tried many times to find wthich mod is causing problem but failed. :(
zhoujy18
Crusader

FAF User Name: Zhoujy

Postby NickPapGr » 27 Mar 2020, 16:19

Fantastic work RK4000, very nice to see that you keep working on this! The quality of your particle effects is amazing.
I have a few suggestions, based on my 'artistic' opinion. I'd be curious to know your own reflections on these points.

One element in Supreme Commander which makes it stand out as a game in general, is its scale.
Considering how immense the sizes of the units/buildings are (in a human scale), I find that explosions and effects better highlight it if their scale is somewhat smaller.
In a way, the bigger the effect, the more it gives the impression that the scale of the world it takes place is smaller.

I personally think, that if the explosions were scaled down (using the same particle effects, which are amazing), they would blend much more in the world of the game, increase the immersion of the scale, and make them feel much more organic in their context.
The same applies with the debris flying to extreme distances, and the duration of some explosion animations (T3 factories for example) that take way too long (in those instances, I find the final effect -where the building/unit finally disintegrates- the most convincing).

I used to have possess some modding skills back in 2008 (I had made a nuke mod for SCFA), as such I would love to contribute to what you do in any way I can.
Cheers!
NickPapGr

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: NickPapGr

Postby RK4000 » 27 Mar 2020, 17:40

NickPapGr wrote:Fantastic work RK4000, very nice to see that you keep working on this! The quality of your particle effects is amazing.
I have a few suggestions, based on my 'artistic' opinion. I'd be curious to know your own reflections on these points.

One element in Supreme Commander which makes it stand out as a game in general, is its scale.
Considering how immense the sizes of the units/buildings are (in a human scale), I find that explosions and effects better highlight it if their scale is somewhat smaller.
In a way, the bigger the effect, the more it gives the impression that the scale of the world it takes place is smaller.

I personally think, that if the explosions were scaled down (using the same particle effects, which are amazing), they would blend much more in the world of the game, increase the immersion of the scale, and make them feel much more organic in their context.
The same applies with the debris flying to extreme distances, and the duration of some explosion animations (T3 factories for example) that take way too long (in those instances, I find the final effect -where the building/unit finally disintegrates- the most convincing).

I used to have possess some modding skills back in 2008 (I had made a nuke mod for SCFA), as such I would love to contribute to what you do in any way I can.
Cheers!

That's good feedback, thanks!

The plan for V11 is a complete rework of building and naval explosions, where I wholeheartedly agree that they currently have this problem, with scale all over the place, and the timing being... Well, in my opinion, quite bad.

That code is a leftover from the very early versions, and if I'm honest, I really didn't know what I was doing back then. :D In order to fix it, it needs a complete rewrite, which will also give me complete control over the size and timing, which I currently do not have due to how it's written.

The difficulty with big unit explosions is that they need to cover said big unit when it turns into a wreck. You want to have the unit hidden by particles/a flash when it turns into a wreck, otherwise it looks very, very out of place. I need to keep that final explosion to do this, but the smaller explosions as the buildings/ships are dying need quite a lot of improvement, yes. This is in the works for V11, so stay tuned! :D
RK4000
Priest

Postby RK4000 » 27 Mar 2020, 22:44

Ok, so just in case anyone doesn't know:

I've been trying to host games with the mod recently, but sadly very few people join. This is due to the fact that RK's Explosions gets filtered out with the other modded games, if you have the option "Show filtered games" unticked in the client. Many people that have joined the game told me that they didn't even know I was hosting, and they would have gladly joined if they saw the game, but they had that option unticked.

ss+(2020-03-27+at+09.22.26).png
ss+(2020-03-27+at+09.22.26).png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 2113 times

Therefore, if you want to find games with the mod and partake in them, you have to tick this option. Sadly, this will also show many other games that run.... way too many mods (in my opinion :D ), but sadly, this is how the client is made, and if we want to get some games going with the mod, ticking that option is the only way for now. :D

Happy exploding!
RK4000
Priest

Postby SoHuje » 31 Mar 2020, 06:15

This mod sounds really cool but am noobie here where is the vault ? :( looked and just cant find
SoHuje

FAF User Name: SoHuje

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools