New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FXs (rks_explosions)

Postby rks_explosions » 23 Mar 2015, 01:23

Just posting to say rks_explosions is 1 year old today! :D

I brought cake, but it exploded... :cry:
rks_explosions
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: rks_explosions V8

Postby Sheeo » 23 Mar 2015, 03:04

Happy birthday RK :)
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby speed2 » 23 Mar 2015, 12:52

oh shit, have I missed the party? :(
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby eXcalibur » 29 May 2015, 15:42

i am not sure, whether this is the right place, but i ask anyway:

is it possible to scale down the explosion of the commander billy nuke, e.g. by creating a custom billy explosion?
it always strikes me as a very strange thing: you see a giant nuke explosion as the billy hits, but it does much less damage than expected.
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby Shai--Hulud » 14 Jun 2015, 09:57

Is this thread still alive, i.e. is rks still working on the mod?
The Spice Must Flow.
Shai--Hulud

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times
FAF User Name: Shai-Hulud

Postby RK4000 » 29 Jul 2015, 14:28

Shai--Hulud wrote:Is this thread still alive, i.e. is rks still working on the mod?

I am not currently working on the mod anymore. and I don't know when and if I'll ever continue working on it either.

This is because a few people I won't name went to considerable efforts to stop people from using the mod, just because they themselves don't like it. For example, saying V8 always desyncs mods. This is very incorrect. V8 only occasionally desyncs the mods when the toggle is used, and I'm pretty sure 90% of the users don't even know how to use the toggle at all as you have to edit a file. But, as I said, if those certain people can go to such lenghts to get others to stop using the mod, just because they don't want to play with it, I don't see any point of currently continuing my work.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby wasdf » 06 Aug 2015, 00:54

Awh, i wanted to try out your mod but it didn't work. I can't see why you wouldn't want factional explosions. even worse ruin this for other people.
wasdf

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Sir Prize » 07 Aug 2015, 12:26

It sucks to see you've abandoned this RK.

If you fixed the desync issue (it desynced a bunch of my games), made all dying units with extended explosions become reclaimable at the same time as normal explosions, even as the explosions continue (some explosions already do this), and finished the explosions for units that don't have them (Scathis?) the mod would probably be integrated and the people who don't like it could just toggle off and never care again.

Throwing the work out because your mod isn't universally loved doesn't make sense, especially once you started working on a toggle.
Sir Prize
Evaluator

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Sir-Prize

Postby VoiceofReason » 08 Aug 2015, 01:58

Yes, people who experienced desyncs while using the toggle, do exist; it was never a wild theory to stop people from playing your mod...
VoiceofReason
Priest

Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 53 times
FAF User Name: VoRCom

Postby RK4000 » 09 Aug 2015, 16:13

Sir Prize wrote:It sucks to see you've abandoned this RK.

If you fixed the desync issue (it desynced a bunch of my games), made all dying units with extended explosions become reclaimable at the same time as normal explosions, even as the explosions continue (some explosions already do this), and finished the explosions for units that don't have them (Scathis?) the mod would probably be integrated and the people who don't like it could just toggle off and never care again.

Throwing the work out because your mod isn't universally loved doesn't make sense, especially once you started working on a toggle.

I'm not abandoning it because it's not "universally loved". That doesn't make any sense like you said. And I'm not really "abandoning" it either per-se, I'm probably going to continue at some point, but when and if that's going to happen I cannot say.

As for units without custom explosions yet, please understand I am the only one actually designing the explosions. I may get some help with code every now and then, but the actual effects are only my work, so it takes a lot of time. Just think about how many units there are. Keeping the explosions diverse is not as simple as it looks, and is the reason why the Scathis does not have one yet. I never said the mod was finished, and I do not want to just give it some generic explosion and be done with it. When I get a good idea and concept for it, I'm going to make it. Until then, I'm not just going to make some half-assed explosion for it, that would just make me seem lazy..

VoiceofReason wrote:Yes, people who experienced desyncs while using the toggle, do exist; it was never a wild theory to stop people from playing your mod...

The reason I'm taking a long break from it is not that simple. It's not because it's not "universally loved". It's because there's a big difference between people that don't like it not playing it and the same people trying to convince everyone else to not like it. Obviously not everyone has the same taste, I completely understand that. It's the reason I even tried making a toggle. But when people that don't like it are trying to get other people to not like it as well, that's not something pleasant to put up with.

This has been happening way before I even got the idea to make a toggle, it's not something recent.
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools