New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FXs (rks_explosions)

Postby RK4000 » 31 Oct 2014, 12:59

http://fr.xfire.com/video/62e3dd/

Here you go. The heart explosion in action. :D
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby E8400-CV » 01 Nov 2014, 02:00

Aurion wrote:
E8400-CV wrote:I like to be factual right, regardless of political correctness.

There is absolutely nothing factual about 'overblown' and also seperating the community is more subjective than you're trying to make it look like. You also sound like Geert Wilders, stop that. I'm sure you're more intelligent than that.

The main point was "dividing the community" and by saying "more subjective than you make it look like" you actually admit it's a fact. Kudo's on your political language...

All in all I'm happy with integration, given it would be off by default and bug-free.

Leaves me to wonder why on earth you are posting in this tread? You absolutely made no on-topic comment whatsoever.

As for Geert Wilders: he's very intelligent but has a lot of dumb voters (like any other politician). The media is big in portraying the dumber ones of his following. That scares away the more intelligent ones from publicity. Politicians promoting the abolition of daylight saving time always deserve some votes :)
Last edited by E8400-CV on 01 Nov 2014, 02:19, edited 1 time in total.
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby RK4000 » 01 Nov 2014, 02:10

E8400-CV wrote:
Aurion wrote:
E8400-CV wrote:I like to be factual right, regardless of political correctness.

There is absolutely nothing factual about 'overblown' and also seperating the community is more subjective than you're trying to make it look like. You also sound like Geert Wilders, stop that. I'm sure you're more intelligent than that.

The main point was "dividing the community" and by saying "more subjective than you make it look like" you actually admit it's a fact. Kudo's on your political language...

All in all I'm happy with integration, given it would be off by default and bug-free.

Leaves me to wonder why on earth you are posting in this tread? You absolutely made no on-topic comment whatsoever.

As for Geert Wilders: he's very intelligent but has a lot of dumb voters. That scares away the more intelligent ones into hiding. Politicians promoting the abolition of daylight saving time always deserve some votes :)

I think you are the only one who people should wonder about why you are posting here. You keep expressing your disliking in a negative tone over and over, without actually giving any creative feedback, your last comments seemed very off topic aswell, etc... Especially this last one one... Stop please, both of you, this is for feedback on the mod, not arguing about political issues...

Even though Aurion has a point there, "overblown" is not factual right... It's your opinion. Case closed, move on, no more off topic please. Any further off-topic posts you make will probably get deleted.

(And yes, posting 1 tiny bit of on-topic info in a reply otherwise containing of 98% off-topic material counts as "off-topic". :) )
RK4000
Priest

Postby Nombringer » 03 Nov 2014, 01:38

Okay, so RK and I did another bit of testing/feedback together, and here are the results.
The first section will be mainly regular is explosion stuff, however, we were also have a look at something new; projectiles. Remember, the feedback on some of these is semi-subjective, so feel free to post your guys opinions as well. I also tried to add some pictures of some of the things I'm talking about this time. If anyone wants me to add pictures of a specific thing just post a request, as I'm sure some of the stuff should have pictures and doesn't. Also I recommend you look at some on the on-hit effects yourself, in real time as they looks a lot different and one picture can capture all of it.

Part one, regular explosion things:

- Titan might need some increased smoke, due to the long death animation and the fact that the explosion finishes a long time before the death animation does. The length of the animation is unalterable apparently. (This applies for a lot of the t3 units, but I think the titan has the longest animation.)

- The Aeon t2 land "aura rays" are too big, and the exact same size as t3, this might possibly be a coding glitch

- With the Sera t1 explosion, experiment with lightning flickering pulse, like cybran. (Changed/added in v8?)

- Air contrails are just a poly trail. This could easily be improved. (You will see more of my vendetta against poly trails in the projectiles section. It doesn't look "too" bad on the air but it could be improved)

Air poly trail.jpg
Air poly trail.jpg (829.38 KiB) Viewed 3267 times

- UEF air shockwave too big and lasts too long (Fixed in v8?)

- Craters; Currently the "blast" texture that appears on the ground after a unit dies, seems to be of randomly generated size, it would be nice if they could be changed so it's size depends on the size of the unit.

Notice how one brick is the same size as the gunship, and another you cannot see at all..jpg
Notice how one brick is the same size as the gunship, and another you cannot see at all..jpg (669.31 KiB) Viewed 3267 times

- Aeon t2/t3 air, reduce shockwave and aura times (Fixed in V8?)

- Sera t3 air looks like a firework due to coding mistake (fixed in v8?)

- The sparks on the seraphim navy go quite high, but not very far to the sides. (Not sure if this is a huge deal though, other people might have different opinions.)

- Amphibious units remain on fire underwater, and land units still use land explosions. (It has always been this way though, nothing to do with the mod)

- Navy factories should probably generate an oil slick when they explode, like ships.

- Seraphim ACU explosion does not knock down trees.

- Add proper sized craters to experimental explosions and make them knock down trees. (GC is currently the only one that does this iirc)

-The Fatty explosion fire texture is slightly bugged at the end, making it spawn waaaay too many fire emmiters (Fixed in v8?)

- Tempest explosion produces way too much Aeon fairy dust.

Part 2, Projectiles:

- Aroura projectiles could possibly be improved to look a bit more like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 0wig#t=127
or at the very least have a particle effect spawned around the main projectile.

- Mantis, lab t1 pd, and t1 aa all use the same projectile.
Maybe make the lab projectile smaller, and experiment with change/removal of poly trail behind the lazer.
Cybran T1 pd probably just needs a new projectile and better "on hit" effects

Cybran t1 pd impact..jpg
Cybran t1 pd impact..jpg (501.08 KiB) Viewed 3267 times

Continued next post:
Last edited by Nombringer on 03 Nov 2014, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby Nombringer » 03 Nov 2014, 01:41

- UEF t1 pd looks fine

- Seraphim t1 pd is using the same low res impact effect as the tank, only with some added effects.

- Aeon t1pd projectile looks slightly 2d (could be fixed by adding a particle trail as well.)

- All muzzle effects for pd apart from aeon could use some improvement.

- ACU overcharge projectiles: All look "okay" apart from cybran which is terrible, but the others could probably benefit from some improvements as well.

-The seraphim tank projectile "on hit" effect is terrible, the resolution is so low resolution you can almost see the pixels. How ever the selen on-hit effect is great. The easiest solution is to swap them round and scale them up/down accordingly.

Seraphim tank impact.jpg
Seraphim tank impact.jpg (602.67 KiB) Viewed 3267 times

Seraphim lab impact.jpg
Seraphim lab impact.jpg (618.24 KiB) Viewed 3267 times

- Wagner missile "on hit" effect is using a random UEF fire texture.

- Blaze projectiles could probably benefit from a removed poly trail (thats the white trail that follows them)

- Cybran Flak projectile..... doesn't even have a projectile, its just one of the poly trails.

- Sera t2 pd impact effect is kind of bad

- UEF t2 pd impact is the same at t1 tanks (could at least be scaled larger)

- Cybran t2 pd impact effect could be improved.

- All t2 stationary missile launchers impact effects.

- Cybran artillery impact looks like it has more aoe than it does

- Cybran and UEF t2 static artillery projectile is single lazy polytrail.

- Percy projectile impact is tiny (titan is bigger, possibly swap them round?)

- Brick projectile "glow" has holes in it because it is a texture. Could be improved by adding a particle effect like loyalists

- Loyalist blue shot is brick projectile with particle effect.

- Loyalist red has random poly trail added to it that makes it look bad.

- Harbinger shot impact effect is tiny

- UEF battleship impact could possibly have a shockwave added

- Seraphim and cybran battleship impact effects are very bad.

- Sera battleship projectile is too small

- Sera SCU shot looks like a piddle

- Swap chicken gun and ball of death effects around, currently gun has bigger impact than ball dispite doing less damage and less aoe.

- Nuke textures are slightly low res and flicker when camera angle is changed. (Worst is sera t4 nuke)

- All other Cybran navy impact effects. could use some improvement.

- Seraphim impact of t1 navy is an even worse scaled up version of the tank tank.

- Soul ripper projectiles are a bit transparent

- Medusa projectile trail is made of pixels.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby berberberber » 04 Nov 2014, 07:43

Will we be able to use firing effects and/or other stuff and explosions separately?
berberberber
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: berberberber

Postby RK4000 » 04 Nov 2014, 15:24

berberberber wrote:Will we be able to use firing effects and/or other stuff and explosions separately?

Well, the explosions for unit deaths are fully togglable, for the weapon effects though...

They won't be nearly as "over the top" compared to their normal equivalents as rks explosions are vs default explosions for unit deaths, so I don't think it's worth making a toggle for weapon effects. Most of the work done on weapon effects will just revolve around making them higher quality (less pixellated textures, for example) and a slight scale tweak here and there (Does it make sense that a cybran battleship shot impact has the same effect as a frigate shot impact? :) )

I think it's not that big a deal for weapon effects so I don't think making a toggle is neccesary there. For death explosions I understand, because they're quite a lot different compared to the default ones so I understand if some people don't like them, but for higher quality textures on weapon impacts I doubt anyone has any objections to those :)
RK4000
Priest

Postby RK4000 » 06 Nov 2014, 22:36

Small update... Progress has been slow, and since I'm planning to touch upon at least 90% of the things Noms suggested/found, it's going to take a while, but.... Here's a small teaser of re-worked naval explosions in V8, enjoy! :D

http://fr.xfire.com/video/62e70e/
RK4000
Priest

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 23 Nov 2014, 19:50

It's been a while since I visited this thread, but I saw something in your own suggestion post, about the aurora projectile having some particle effect.

My personal preference for the weapons like the aurora, Harbinger or sniper bots, is that they look as sleek as possible. What I saw in that youtube video was more a fuzzy effect like the flare LAB has. Also good, but I don't think that that fits for a unit that is designed to fire at a higher range. Such a fuzzy effect always gives me the feeling of lower accuracy. Of course, you can fiddle with it, I can't say I don't like it without seeing the result you come up with.

More important, I think I posted at the screenshot thread and not here, is that your mod may leave this effect for Seraphim Air factories that are in progress with building ASFs (and possibly other air units as well): if the factory is destroyed, the electric explosion of a destroyed fighter remains there.
Attachments
ASF on a wreck.png
ASF on a wreck.png (201.68 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby RK4000 » 25 Nov 2014, 16:55

Yeah, mod development has been slow lately... Been busy with IRL stuff, got about 30% done with what I want to do for V8/integrated, but I'll get to it eventually.

As far as weapon effects, in this case the aurora's, go, here's my sort of "plan" for them.

I'm going to keep the style of them if at all possible (sleek, fuzzy, dense, thin, whatever other word you can use to describe them)... For the aurora I'm just going to make it a bit more prominent because it's IMO a lot less visible than other shots, which is why I think Noms suggested this be changed, I might remember wrong though, it's been a while...

But anyway, if at all possible, I'll try to improve the looks of the weapon effects without changing the "style" of their effect. One example of this would be that I just replace the textures on a pre-existing effect with higher-res ones so they don't look as pixelly up close... Same style, just an overall "better" look.

As far as that bug is concerned, yes, I am aware of it and I think I've already fixed it in V8. Thanks for reporting anyway. Also it happens with any air factory, when an ACU dies. If a factory is building an air unit, and the death of the ACU causes a self-destruct for the factory after the player has been killed, the air unit won't die with the factory, and emit it's "damaged" state effects.
RK4000
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools