New explosion FXs (RK's Explosions)

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: New explosion FXs (rks_explosions)

Postby E8400-CV » 19 May 2014, 00:57

Ceneraii wrote:I play from pretty crappy laptop and with the mod generally tends to be less laggy for me, I can't say for extreme situations because these slow me down regardlessly but since I started using the explosions mod slowdowns have been less common than they have been before.

So you started using it around the time ASFs started shooting less projectiles?

Q5: Can I disable the new effects while still playing in the same game as people with the effects on? (without disabling the mod itself)

A fix for this would be very nice
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby RK4000 » 19 May 2014, 14:11

E8400-CV wrote:
Q5: Can I disable the new effects while still playing in the same game as people with the effects on? (without disabling the mod itself)

A fix for this would be very nice

Right now it's pretty much impossible to do so, that's the reason why the question and answer is on the frst post ;)
RK4000
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: RK4000

Postby Exotic_Retard » 22 May 2014, 22:27

so heres the things i dont like in this mod:

GC shockwave ~2-3 times too big; not judging the rest of the experimental explosions; assuming they are undone

all of the air effects. sorry. they are all just too much

cybran red circle during every explosion that contains it. i think it should be 50% more transparent

the continuous lighting effect in cybran ship explosions, exp explosions, cybran air explosions, this is different, i dont like it at all :/ i just dont really want to see it :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3EbSNLuJzc&list=UUzY7MBSgNLZOMxMIFwtf2bw#t=559 see this

the trails for ship fragments on ship explosions; why do you need to have them, they are more than the actual explosions of the ship in the case of t1, making them a lot smaller would be great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3EbSNLuJzc&list=UUzY7MBSgNLZOMxMIFwtf2bw#t=2037 see the frigate

all t1 engineer explosions too big, same for scouts and labs

this may seem like im bashing or complaining but if i just hated this i would simply not post, i like parts of this mod, but other parts make me sad :(
this could be why you dont recieve any complaints btw
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Totaltuna » 22 May 2014, 22:42

Well, i don´t think people would agree with you on these points. atleast i don´t.
I really like the cybran explosions because they are unique and 1 of a kind.
And about the size of the explosions, the bigger the better in my opinion! Makes the experience alot more lively :)
Totaltuna
Crusader

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Totaltuna

Postby OrdoM » 22 May 2014, 22:57

It's FAF-rific and performance friendly, helps distinguish between factions in major fights, looks nice, and helps further bring FA into the present/future; top shelf mod. Had one heightmapping issue with a Ambassador destruction explosion being rendered at ~nuke height, but it was over a cliff at the time, and that's the only problem I've seen thus far; installed fine, runs fine or better than vanilla. Keep it up comrade.
OrdoM

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Ordo

Postby IceDreamer » 22 May 2014, 23:42

SAKO_X wrote:so heres the things i dont like in this mod:

GC shockwave ~2-3 times too big; not judging the rest of the experimental explosions; assuming they are undone

all of the air effects. sorry. they are all just too much

cybran red circle during every explosion that contains it. i think it should be 50% more transparent

the continuous lighting effect in cybran ship explosions, exp explosions, cybran air explosions, this is different, i dont like it at all :/ i just dont really want to see it :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3EbSNLuJzc&list=UUzY7MBSgNLZOMxMIFwtf2bw#t=559 see this

the trails for ship fragments on ship explosions; why do you need to have them, they are more than the actual explosions of the ship in the case of t1, making them a lot smaller would be great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3EbSNLuJzc&list=UUzY7MBSgNLZOMxMIFwtf2bw#t=2037 see the frigate

all t1 engineer explosions too big, same for scouts and labs

this may seem like im bashing or complaining but if i just hated this i would simply not post, i like parts of this mod, but other parts make me sad :(
this could be why you dont recieve any complaints btw

RK's already had feedback from me so much it's giving him earache, but I'll put it on the record here.

I think the GC shockwave looks absolutely incredible. Having that map-warping effect gives proper recognition to the death of such an epic unit.
Air effects are slightly tricky. I really like all the effects themselves, but for me the smoke trails left behind are too dense, obscuring everything that's going on, and even hiding more pretty explosions below, not the best outcome really. The smoke needs to have lower opacity.
T1 Engineer explosions I agree with, have already mentioned it to RK, and he assures me that shrinking them is easy. Whether or not he does, though, is up to him.

This big one I am glad to see someone finally agree with, and the one RK is going to HATE me for mentioning yet again, is the continuous lightning effect. Dead wrecks which have already ceased to explode do not continue to have a lightning aura for several seconds afterwards! To me, it is ugly, it is jarring, it is incredibly distracting, and it comes very, very close to making the whole mod unplayable for me if there are any Cybran around. Bear in mind that the effect on the Experimentals is bugged, so that doesn't count. Units affected for me are the Brick and T2/T3 Navy. Please understand also that I think T1 Navy, T1/T2/T3 Land, and the Cybran Air trails (Which all have similar effects) all look fantastic. It is the longevity of this effect, as well as the fact that it seems to happen on its own with no other effects present, which is the problem, not its size, colour, or anything like that.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Ceneraii » 23 May 2014, 18:12

What do you mean with t2/t3 navy bothering you? :o if you like t1 navy, im pretty sure it's the same effect scaled up a little ^^
Ceneraii

Has liked: 104 times
FAF User Name: Ceneraii

Postby RK4000 » 23 May 2014, 18:17

It's actually the exact same effect on all techs of the navy, not even scaled, since that caused a crash.

The higher the tech/the bigger the ship, the more exposions with those sparks it spawns. But those explosions are usually not in the same place, and the number is not that different (a frigate spawns 1-2 sub explosions with the sparks, a destroyer RARELY spawns 3, since there is some randomness. The battleships spawn about 5-8)

That's why I'm somewhat confused by this. :?
RK4000
Priest

Postby IceDreamer » 23 May 2014, 18:17

Yeah I was partially mistaken. I didn't notice the effect so much on the T1 but I still hate it now I look again. RK suggested it's less noticeable because there are still smoke emitter and other stuff going on at that point for T1, but not the others (If I understood him correctly).
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby RK4000 » 25 May 2014, 14:45

Updated first page with some amazingly-done screenshots. All credit goes to Blackster on FAF.
RK4000
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools