Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced strategic icons mod

Postby Shadows » 14 Feb 2014, 18:16

It's more then one file and there are a few reasons.
1) FAF presents new units so the mod must be installed on it separately in order to cover them. Its mods' folder is hidden and located deep within a special system folder while the mod file itself must be in a different format.
2) Steam's version of Forged Alliance is installed deep within an internal subfolder with a confusing name.
3) Ease of installation and changing of size that prevents human error with previews and explanations.
4) The installer gives you a centralized control panel from which you can manage multi-installations with fast, in-game testing on a push of a button.
Maybe the real question is how could people manage without a proper installer..
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Sulo » 14 Feb 2014, 21:23

Shadows wrote:
Sulo wrote:This new installer crashes for me :(
(standard windows error message)
Could you be more specific?
On what point of time the installer crashes? on the start or when you click a button?
What is written in the error message explicitly?
The older 2.2 version workis fine?
What is your operating system? Do you happen to have the steam installation of forged alliance or a stand-alone cd installation?
Have you changed the install directory location of the game in the past?

Right after launching it, the message is just "Program has stopped working" (or something similar, not sure about translation).
Older version was installed just fine.
Win7 32bit, non-steam.
Didnt move FA.

Problem was resolved after PC reboot but still, it seems that I can launch it once, menu opens up and everything looks great, but when I close it and try to launch it once more the error shows up, but like I said - after reboot I can try again :P
Sulo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Sulo

Postby Shadows » 14 Feb 2014, 22:58

Sulo wrote:Right after launching it, the message is just "Program has stopped working" (or something similar, not sure about translation).
Win7 32bit, non-steam.
Didnt move FA.

Problem was resolved after PC reboot but still, it seems that I can launch it once, menu opens up and everything looks great, but when I close it and try to launch it once more the error shows up, but like I said - after reboot I can try again :P
Now it's much more clearer.
I made a quick possible fix in this version:
download/file.php?id=5952
Just don't forget rebooting first (Hopefully for the last time).
Shadows

Postby Phlegm » 15 Feb 2014, 09:26

Awesome mod, thank you!

The new v3 installer does not work for FAF for me though.
If I try to install it for FAF, the button just says "No Installation detected".

I tried to install it to Steam, but logically some icons for the newer units (Armored Assault bots, HQ factories...) are not changed.
I'm still on Windows XP (I know, I know), so I understand if you won't support it.

(Actually, it was really confusing: I just clicked "Install" the first few times, and overlooked that it said "steam" in the bottom text. I thought it would work like v2, and was surprised that some icons weren't working. Only after unchecking all but FAF in the options it would tell me that it cannot find FAF. Maybe you could make it somehow more visible where it is being installed, and what is and isn't found?)

But could you please post manual installation instructions for FAF, so I at least have a chance to make it work?
Phlegm

Has liked: 26 times
FAF User Name: Phlegm

Postby Shadows » 15 Feb 2014, 15:17

Phlegm wrote:Awesome mod, thank you!
The new v3 installer does not work for FAF for me though.
If I try to install it for FAF, the button just says "No Installation detected".

I tried to install it to Steam, but logically some icons for the newer units (Armored Assault bots, HQ factories...) are not changed.
I'm still on Windows XP (I know, I know), so I understand if you won't support it.
Could you search for the 'FAForever' folder (Not the 'Forged Alliance Forever' main folder) in your computer and past its path here?

Phlegm wrote:Maybe you could make it somehow more visible where it is being installed, and what is and isn't found?
Sure, if the installer were intended for FAF alone and people who don't have FAF installed were non existed..

Phlegm wrote:could you please post manual installation instructions for FAF, so I at least have a chance to make it work?
Let's try to solve the problem first so it wouldn't happen to anyone else..
Shadows

Postby Phlegm » 15 Feb 2014, 17:43

Shadows wrote:Could you search for the 'FAForever' folder (Not the 'Forged Alliance Forever' main folder) in your computer and past its path here?

Sure, the FAForever folder is in:

Code: Select all
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\

That path is also in the environment variable %ALLUSERSPROFILE%, by the way.

Shadows wrote:
Phlegm wrote:Maybe you could make it somehow more visible where it is being installed, and what is and isn't found?
Sure, if the installer were intended for FAF alone and people who don't have FAF installed were non existed..

I think you misunderstood me. In no way I wanted you to exclude anyone!

When I used the ASI installer it said "Installed!" and beneath that was a big text saying it was installed.
And beneath that a smaller text said that is was installed, and just at the end it said "steam".

To me it wasn't immediately clear that it didn't find a FAF installation, and just installed it for the Steam version only, and that that wouldn't carry over to the FAF version.
Up until now I thought that FAF used the Steam version, but now that I know of the FAForever folder, I know that it makes a copy.

So, as a suggestion, it would have been nice if it said maybe something like this:

[ ] Standalone: N/A [Button: Set path]
[x] Steam:      Not installed
[ ] FAF:        N/A

And then two buttons:
[INSTALL for selected] [UNINSTALL for selected]

And after installing it says "Installed" whereever it did install it.
This way it would be immediately clear what versions it found and where it is installed.

...or you could tell me to read stuff more carefully, that would be a good answer, too. ;)
Phlegm

Postby Sulo » 15 Feb 2014, 18:18

Shadows wrote:
Sulo wrote:Right after launching it, the message is just "Program has stopped working" (or something similar, not sure about translation).
Win7 32bit, non-steam.
Didnt move FA.

Now it's much more clearer.
I made a quick possible fix in this version:
download/file.php?id=5952
Just don't forget rebooting first (Hopefully for the last time).

Still crashes after 2nd launch, well, like I said - it's not a very big problem, people wont usualy open installer two times anyway :P
You can install it without problems using the first launch that works.
Sulo

Has liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Sulo

Postby Shadows » 15 Feb 2014, 22:09

Phlegm wrote:I think you misunderstood me. In no way I wanted you to exclude anyone!

When I used the ASI installer it said "Installed!" and beneath that was a big text saying it was installed.
And beneath that a smaller text said that is was installed, and just at the end it said "steam".

To me it wasn't immediately clear that it didn't find a FAF installation, and just installed it for the Steam version only, and that that wouldn't carry over to the FAF version.
I didn't say that you want to exclude anything.. I just meant that when there are more then one type of FA installation, there are naturally situations where the installer need to ignore the non existing ones. If the installer were made to deal with only one type of FA installation, then showing the user a big "Not installed" would be logical, but because we want a multi-installation capability - a more generic solution must be deployed.
That's why the installer must assume that it's ok when a specific installation is not found while targeting what it does manage to find without making a lot of fuss (Otherwise the installer would be filled with ugly "NotFound, Not found, Not found, Not Fou")..
Now, if you want to be more explicit about the type of installation you need - i made the options window just for that.

Phlegm wrote:So, as a suggestion, it would have been nice if it said maybe something like this:

[ ] Standalone: N/A [Button: Set path]
[x] Steam:      Not installed
[ ] FAF:        N/A

And then two buttons:
[INSTALL for selected] [UNINSTALL for selected]

And after installing it says "Installed" whereever it did install it.
This way it would be immediately clear what versions it found and where it is installed.
That's a nice suggestion. the problem is that the installer was made with a design philosophy that aim to maintain a clean and friendly appearance as possible, showing only relevent information (People dont realy need to know that they dont have every type of FA installation in existence). The only reason it bothers you right now it's because you've experienced a problem and you're looking for every related information in order to concoct a solution..
But as the programer of this software - it's my job. ;)
Shadows

Postby Phlegm » 15 Feb 2014, 23:02

Hey, it's your software, I merely made a suggestion.

It bothers me a bit because it didn't tell me that there was an error, and I thought everything was ok when it wasn't.

But hey, I get what you mean by simple design, and if it works, it's very clean.
Phlegm

Postby Shadows » 15 Feb 2014, 23:28

Phlegm wrote:Hey, it's your software, I merely made a suggestion.
And please - do make more! Suggestions are needed here and I appreciate your feedback. All I meant is that the user dont have to exert himself with technical details or with a solution finding journey as that's supposed to be the software's job and if the software has a problem then it's my job fixing it. :geek:

I have improved the XP compatibility in this version:
download/file.php?id=5963
Hope that it would solve the problem.
Shadows

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools