Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced strategic icons mod

Postby Shadows » 14 Dec 2013, 19:01

Martin_PL wrote:new are too big.
I use 1680x1050 monitor. Its unplayable on this. Icons cover each other.

I decided to go on this size mainly because I believed that most people who'll play this 7yo game would play it on high resolutions, not to mention that it whould make it future-proof.
Supreme commander is not DPI aware, making every icon exaggeratedly small on high resolutions and causing alot of eyestrain after prolong viewing and thats the first thing i've wanted to fix.
Martin_PL wrote:if you wolud have free time - please consider making something for medium res.

Unfortunately there is no smaller version in my kitchen. creating a new icon set requires weeks of work; even longer then it took me to build this one as it's imposible to enlarge or reduce the icon's size to something like 150% without messing them up almost completely.

Perhaps we could go on the middle ground.
T1 units usually not that of a big threat, maybe i'll decrease their size..
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Aulex » 14 Dec 2013, 19:08

maxareuos wrote:
Martin_PL wrote:new are too big.
I use 1680x1050 monitor. Its unplayable on this. Icons cover each other.

I decided to go on this size mainly because I believed that most people who'll play this 7yo game would play it on high resolutions, not to mention that it whould make it future-proof.
Supreme commander is not DPI aware, making every icon exaggeratedly small on high resolutions and causing alot of eyestrain after prolong viewing and thats the first thing i've wanted to fix.
Martin_PL wrote:if you wolud have free time - please consider making something for medium res.

Unfortunately there is no smaller version in my kitchen. creating a new icon set requires weeks of work; even longer then it took me to build this one as it's imposible to enlarge or reduce the icon's size to something like 150% without messing them up almost completely.

Perhaps we could go on the middle ground.
T1 units usually not that of a big threat, maybe i'll decrease their size..

The main issue is that the sup com icon sizes were fine how they were at 1080p, so by enlarging them it made it very hard to distinguish individual units from each other when in mass.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Shadows » 14 Dec 2013, 22:01

Aulex wrote:The main issue is that the sup com icon sizes were fine how they were at 1080p, so by enlarging them it made it very hard to distinguish individual units from each other when in mass.

While I agree that sometimes you may have to zoom in a little to distinguish between congested units; Most people who reviewed the mod actually appreciated the bigger size of the icons.
They may be a little too large for you at the beginning of the game, but what happens when your eyes get tired after an hour? in supreme commander you can play for a very long time reaching even a few hours while you fight to pay attention to every little detail every second.. the human eye is not designed to remain focused for so long. this size is by design to fight the fatigue in late game.
Shadows

Postby ghostronin » 10 Jan 2014, 19:48

Hi Shadows. Great Mod! I'd like to make a suggestion to make the SCU and ACU icons different. Currently, you can't distinguish between the two zoomed out. This would make it easier to find both your own ACU and to go comm sniping for enemy ACU's in late-game especially on maps like Setons.
ghostronin
Crusader

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ghostronin

Postby E8400-CV » 11 Jan 2014, 07:47

But that's what SCU's are for, right :D?

Also name an SCU with your real nick; I've had 1000+ rated players waste a ton of strats to blow up a custom named SCU :) "How come you're still alive after blowing up? This sandbox?"
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby Shadows » 14 Jan 2014, 07:36

ghostronin wrote:Hi Shadows. Great Mod! I'd like to make a suggestion to make the SCU and ACU icons different. Currently, you can't distinguish between the two zoomed out. This would make it easier to find both your own ACU and to go comm sniping for enemy ACU's in late-game especially on maps like Setons.
Like the Mass extractor and the Mass storage, The ACU and the SCU are hardcoded to share the same icon.
As E8400-CV suggested, it appears as if it was the designer's intention to make them look alike.
Shadows

Postby Kulu » 14 Jan 2014, 10:23

Hey, great work here, thank you!

One suggestion: The symbol of the nuke launcher is "above" most other symbols, so that you can see it even when its surrounded by engies. However the symbol of the anti nuke building is below the engi symbol, so its hard to spot when its surrounded by engies. But its much more important to see the building that 20 engies in the enemy base. Maybe its possible to change that, just a small hint:) Thanks for the work!
Kulu

Has liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Kulu

Postby Shadows » 15 Jan 2014, 21:21

Kulu wrote:Hey, great work here, thank you!

One suggestion: The symbol of the nuke launcher is "above" most other symbols, so that you can see it even when its surrounded by engies. However the symbol of the anti nuke building is below the engi symbol, so its hard to spot when its surrounded by engies. But its much more important to see the building that 20 engies in the enemy base. Maybe its possible to change that, just a small hint:) Thanks for the work!
Unfortunately, mobile unit icons in supreme commander are hardcoded to always be above structure icons while structure icons are hardcoded to stack by creation time. there isn't any priority value to mess with.
Shadows

Postby Kulu » 15 Jan 2014, 22:57

Ah ok so the nuke launcher only feels above every other symbols because it is so big:)
Kulu

Has liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Kulu

Postby Shadows » 16 Jan 2014, 18:29

Kulu wrote:Ah ok so the nuke launcher only feels above every other symbols because it is so big:)
That's one of the reasons i made him so big, the original icon usually get swallowed by other nearby units making it easy for the player to forget about this important structure or lose track of the missile completion status.
Shadows

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools