Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced strategic icons mod

Postby Arx » 24 Mar 2013, 00:29

Looks much better, thanks for the nice fix! Already patched anyway. :)
File size down from 1920B->576B made me thought it's smaller or lower resolution.
These TMD, TML, SMD, SML icons are really awesome.
Arx
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Arx

Postby Shadows » 24 Mar 2013, 02:22

Arx wrote:Looks much better, thanks for the nice fix! Already patched anyway. :)
File size down from 1920B->576B made me thought it's smaller or lower resolution.
These TMD, TML, SMD, SML icons are really awesome.

I tried to design them to be the most intuitive.
tactical missile launchers for example have such a huge range and damage, easily sniping commanders or breaking shields but cant lock onto targets or shoot on their own while requiring alot of time (and resources) to build their missiles which means they're a tool made for offensive operations only.. that's why i highlighted them in red to get that "warning" and "offense" feel; the same color of those rotating red warning lamps that can usually be found in military installations, near the launching bays.

as for the tactical missile defense - because i see the red color as the color of offense and warning - i highlighted the TMD's icon with pink indication to imply "broken offense" or "safe zone".
i did the same with the SMD, with the addition of inverteing the triangles in its atomic symbol, to create that "anti nuke" feel.

as for the difference in size; I chose a better compression method that offers better quality while saving space. the previous version suffered from glitches because of the compression method that was less suitable.
Last edited by Shadows on 04 Apr 2013, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Eukanuba » 04 Apr 2013, 15:19

Just to say thank you again for this mod, I've gone up about 150 points since I started using it and I never lose important buildings any more. Great work!
Eukanuba
Priest

FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby Shadows » 05 Apr 2013, 14:45

Eukanuba wrote:Just to say thank you again for this mod, I've gone up about 150 points since I started using it and I never lose important buildings any more. Great work!

Thanks, i just hope that there isn't too many people who use low-end resolutions.. my initial assumption was that after six years almost everyone should be able to run the game on high resolutions..
Shadows

Postby Eukanuba » 05 Apr 2013, 16:08

maxareuos wrote:Thanks, i just hope that there isn't too many people who use low-end resolutions.. my initial assumption was that after six years almost everyone should be able to run the game on high resolutions..

I'm still using 1440x900 and now that I've got used to it it the icons don't seem too big at all. If anything it makes me more aware of risks and relative strengths of armies - with the standard icons it was easy for me to ignore twenty little blips and get over-confident, now it's quite clear that I need to do something about it. It also seems easier to micro from a more zoomed-out perspective, I'm sure that's purely psychological but it helps so I'm not complaining. :D
Eukanuba
Priest

FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby Shadows » 06 Apr 2013, 14:15

Eukanuba wrote:I'm still using 1440x900 and now that I've got used to it it the icons don't seem too big at all. If anything it makes me more aware of risks and relative strengths of armies - with the standard icons it was easy for me to ignore twenty little blips and get over-confident, now it's quite clear that I need to do something about it. It also seems easier to micro from a more zoomed-out perspective, I'm sure that's purely psychological but it helps so I'm not complaining. :D

Glad to hear it, i guess it's a matter of preference. for me 1600x900 is the bare minimum.
However, one thing i've noticed - you know that situation when you're deep in the game and suddenly get into a stalling state, making weird lazy mistakes? When i play on lower resolutions with the mod i rarely dragged into this.
Shadows

Postby kaixjer » 18 Apr 2013, 22:52

Is this compatible with the GAZ_UI mod? I have GAZ_UI and I tried installing the strategic icon mod but I get really huge pixelated icons like a few others have reported. Could it be they are not compatible?
kaixjer

FAF User Name: kaixjer

Postby Shadows » 21 Apr 2013, 21:18

kaixjer wrote:Is this compatible with the GAZ_UI mod? I have GAZ_UI and I tried installing the strategic icon mod but I get really huge pixelated icons like a few others have reported. Could it be they are not compatible?

You can never know until you try, but it sounds like you did the most classic mistake.
these icons were designed for high resolutions, did you check that your resolution is the on the highest setting?
The lower the resolution - the bigger the icons would get.
It is supposed to run on modern resolutions like 2560x1600 or 1920x1080 comfortably without eye strain. the size is by design..
Shadows

Postby PieceOfMind » 09 Jun 2013, 04:06

Thanks for this mod! It's pretty much exactly what I've been wanting for a long time. :)

I've always believed SupCom has one of the best UIs I've seen in a game with a large part of that thanks to the excellent zoom-to-cursor implementation. Strategic icons are another part and this mod improves on them with an important tool that I always advocate for too - colour.

For the record, I use 1920x1080 on a 27inch.
PieceOfMind

FAF User Name: PieceOfMind

Postby Shadows » 09 Jun 2013, 10:38

PieceOfMind wrote:Thanks for this mod! It's pretty much exactly what I've been wanting for a long time. :)

I've always believed SupCom has one of the best UIs I've seen in a game with a large part of that thanks to the excellent zoom-to-cursor implementation. Strategic icons are another part and this mod improves on them with an important tool that I always advocate for too - colour.

For the record, I use 1920x1080 on a 27inch.

Good to hear. two of my main goals in this mod were to reduce the response time of the user and to solve the late-game fatigue problem. the manipulation of colour was an obvious choice for me to get there.
Shadows

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools