Advanced Strategic Icons mod

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Advanced strategic icons mod

Postby GallantDragon » 20 Jan 2013, 06:18

Has anyone here played AI War: Fleet Command? What that game did was when you zoomed out the icons for more common units would merge together, while the icons for strategically important units were bigger and would draw on top of other icons.

Maybe there's a way to do something similar and have the icons for things like TMLs, nukes and experimentals draw on top of other icons, as well as larger?
GallantDragon

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Shadows » 24 Jan 2013, 17:18

GallantDragon wrote:Has anyone here played AI War: Fleet Command? What that game did was when you zoomed out the icons for more common units would merge together, while the icons for strategically important units were bigger and would draw on top of other icons.

Maybe there's a way to do something similar and have the icons for things like TMLs, nukes and experimentals draw on top of other icons, as well as larger?

i did something more elementary as i increased the size of the most important icons and highlighted them with a proper color. for example the tactical missile launcher is now highlighted in red, the artillery installation is now highlighted in yellow while the strategic missile launcher is now carries an atomic symbol..
Shadows

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: Shadows

Postby Eukanuba » 06 Mar 2013, 21:04

This is an excellent mod, thank you very much!

Would it be possible to add a feature where you can resize the icons? They're a bit too big on anything but 1920x1080, and I prefer to play in 1440x900 for performance reasons (and also so the UI isn't so small).
Eukanuba
Priest

FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby Shadows » 11 Mar 2013, 08:15

Eukanuba wrote:This is an excellent mod, thank you very much!

Would it be possible to add a feature where you can resize the icons? They're a bit too big on anything but 1920x1080, and I prefer to play in 1440x900 for performance reasons (and also so the UI isn't so small).

a feature that resizes the icons dynamically isn't possible i'm afraid but it is possible to create a separate mode version of smaller strategic icons, only if there would be a sufficient demand for it as this is time consuming to make..
Shadows

Postby Arx » 12 Mar 2013, 21:49

It's a great mod, I can't leave it now!
My screen resolution is 1920*1080, but they still a little too big for me.
I personally deleted all these T1 icons to get a more clearly view, it's no reason to enlarge these T1 swarm.

Some suggestions:
Make T1 original size but keep these change for color.
T1=11*11(include black line), T2=14*14, T3=17*17.(1 pixel of black line should be enough)

These PD, AA have same orange color sometimes make confuse.
How about make these colors same as range detector?
Direct = red, AA = blue, shields = orange...
Arx
Crusader

FAF User Name: Arx

Postby Shadows » 13 Mar 2013, 07:31

Arx wrote:It's a great mod, I can't leave it now!
My screen resolution is 1920*1080, but they still a little too big for me.
I personally deleted all these T1 icons to get a more clearly view, it's no reason to enlarge these T1 swarm.

Some suggestions:
Make T1 original size but keep these change for color.
T1=11*11(include black line), T2=14*14, T3=17*17.(1 pixel of black line should be enough)

These PD, AA have same orange color sometimes make confuse.
How about make these colors same as range detector?
Direct = red, AA = blue, shields = orange...

Glad you liked it, hearing how useful this mod is for people is the only thing that can drive me to work on it. you have good suggestions, differences in size certainly gives good separation between unit's tech.

as for the general size of the icons - they may be a little too large for you at the beginning of the game, but what happens when your eyes get tired after an hour? in supreme commander you can play for a very long time reaching even a few hours while you fight to pay attention to every little detail every second.. the human eye is not designed to remain focused for so long. this size is by design to fight the fatigue in late game.

as for the orange line in the PD,AA and the Torpedo launcher icons - it's an indication that gives people a quick understanding against what the entitled defense works. a topline implies air defence, an underline indicates naval defence while side lines represent land defence. if i change the color of this indication it would be difficult for people to identify it fast enough as it's got to be in the same color for consistency.
Shadows

Postby Golol » 22 Mar 2013, 17:11

hey i have new icons but they are huge. i dont think they are that big on your screenshots. and they are very pixely. something seems to be buggy :/?
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby Shadows » 23 Mar 2013, 05:22

Golol wrote:hey i have new icons but they are huge. i dont think they are that big on your screenshots. and they are very pixely. something seems to be buggy :/?

These icons were designed for high resolutions, did you check that your resolution is the on the highest setting? The lower the resolution - the bigger the icons would get.
Shadows

Postby Arx » 23 Mar 2013, 19:17

This will be a must have mod in 2560*1600.
And a new version! What fixed?
Turrets get lower resolution and size?
Arx
Crusader

FAF User Name: Arx

Postby Shadows » 23 Mar 2013, 23:48

Arx wrote:This will be a must have mod in 2560*1600.
And a new version! What fixed?
Turrets get lower resolution and size?

Some minor glitches and subtleties,
like the small defects in the the orange indications that made the team color leak into them.
here some visual examples to compare:
Attachments
highlighted changes [version 1.1].png
highlighted changes [version 1.1].png (25.39 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Shadows

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools