Supreme Props

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Supreme Props

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 21 Feb 2018, 00:13

Hi, what started as 'lets fix a few bugs', ended in a complete props rework (Except emitters).

While playing the game and searching for fitting props for my maps, I stumbled over many things that are not balanced/consistent:
-Big difference in LOD cutoff of same prop types (Inconsistent blend in and out while zooming)
-Some props are still not displayed even if you are already able to reclaim them, but other props right next to it of same size and mass amount are visible
-Some tree groups displaying wrong or none LOD3
-Props of similar size and type have huge difference in reclaim values
-Irregularities in blocked path (e.g. small crystal bars way of a huge rock and the other way around)
-Some props are not reclaimable

Supreme Props - FAF integration
-a vastly improved version of the mod is now integrated into FAF: see integration details
--> makes the mod redundant, except "Supreme Props (Only Reclaim Values & Bug Fixes)" if you like to try experimental reclaim values by size, type and amount.

Supreme Props - SIM Mod
-Mod aimes to fix these issues (Thx to b2ag for his support and coding help)
-Mod overrides LOD (level of detail) and reclaim values (mass, energy & reclaim time) in the prop blueprints (rocks, trees & structures) to improve visibility and achieve consistency/balance
-Mod removes LOD errors in some tree props, makes all props reclaimable and blocks path for none living props consistent
-All changes are based on original prop values to minimize the performance and balance impact

Video presentation --> illustrates the differences/issues in the original props and the mod benefits
You can test it on the map FA and FAF Props that contains all currently available props. --> check the vault

-Due to possible performance influence (LOD) and balance changes (Reclaim Values), 4 different mod versions are available:
  • Supreme Props --> full version
  • Supreme Props (Only LOD & Bug Fixes) --> no reclaim value changes
  • Supreme Props (Only Reclaim Values & Bug Fixes) --> no LOD changes
  • Supreme Props (Only Bug Fixes) --> no LOD and reclaim value changes
mod_icon_full.png
mod_icon_full.png (22.86 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

LOD - LEVEL OF DETAIL:
-LOD is based on mass value, prop size and prop typ
-Props will be displayed before you can reclaim them (Should help preventing 'ctrl-shift' abuse: Former props with LOD 100 from crystalline, tropical and evergreen could be reclaimed without being visible)
-Fixes tree props not being displayed after LOD2 (Added missing LOD3, fixed LODCutoff1 and ShaderName2 for continuous visibility)
-Fixes tree groups dispaying wrong albedo at LOD3 (Palms, Tundra Pine)
-LOD fixes integrate unused/matching original files
-Removed LOD4 from 'Brch01_props.bp' (All other have 1,2 or 3 LOD steps)
-Could influence performance (Works fine for me, but needs to be tested)

New LOD steps:
-former LOD range 30-1000, but only a few with LOD 1000

Rocks (none living props):
  • LOD1: 300 (<=5 mass)
  • LOD2: 400 (>5-10 mass)
  • LOD3: 750 (>=37,5 mass)
Trees (living props):
  • LOD1: 30 (80 for trees with missing LOD3 to improve transition e.g. dead lava trees)
  • LOD2: 200
  • LOD3: 750
mod_icon_lod.png
mod_icon_lod.png (20.28 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

RECLAIM VALUES:
-All reclaim values are based on the prop size, amount and type
-Fixes bugs like: big stone worth 10 mass while small crystals and some street lights are worth 300 mass
-Improves reclaim values of all prop themes (Some themes had litte reclaim variation but huge size differences)
-Reclaim time = max mass or energy value of prop
-Reclaim values of prop groups are now defined by actual composition (Yeah, I really counted the used props)
-Undamaged groups give 40% less mass and energy (compared to amount of individual props) to reduce reclaim advantage
-Damaged tree groups resemble the individual reclaim value of undamaged props (Due to former seemingly random group values, an unbalanced gain or even a loss of mass/energy is currently the case if tree groups get broken)

New reclaim value range:
-Rock, crystal and structure props: 1-300 mass (Same range as before, but adapted reclaim values)
-Individual living props (e.g. trees and bushes): >0-12 energy and >0-1,2 mass (Former range 0-15 energy and 0-1,4 mass)
-Living groups (e.g. trees and cactuses): >0-185 energy and >0-18,5 mass (Former range 0-160 energy and 0-12 mass)

mod_icon_reclaim.png
mod_icon_reclaim.png (23.54 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

BUG FIXES:
-Removes LOD errors in some tree props (wrong or non LOD3 in Desert, Evergreen, Lava, Tropical und Tundra theme)
-Makes remainimg props 'RECLAIMABLE' (Common, RedRocks and Tropical theme - go reclaim the 'ThetaBridge'!)
-Blocks path consistent for none living props worth >=10 mass (except Cybran/UEF dock (flat), 2 props that hover in mid air or you reclaim them)
-All streetlights and small fences behave like UEF ones (Fall like trees)
-Structures theme gets new reclaim values (otherwise they do not block, because missing mass value)
-Unsolved Bug: Original file for LOD3 'DC01_Group2_LOD2_albedo.dds' has shade error (bottom left)

have fun
Last edited by svenni_badbwoi on 29 Nov 2019, 17:51, edited 39 times in total.
svenni_badbwoi

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 44 times
FAF User Name: svenni_badbwoi

Re: Supreme Props

Postby Egon » 21 Feb 2018, 00:43

awesome, that would be my first mod and iam playing since 2007.
Egon

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: FAF_Egon

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 21 Feb 2018, 00:58

Egon wrote:awesome, that would be my first mod and iam playing since 2007.

hehe, nice to hear! upload is done..
svenni_badbwoi

Postby keyser » 21 Feb 2018, 02:50

-Structures theme gets new reclaim values (otherwise they do not block, because missing mass value)

this has been fixed by speed2 in faf beta if i understand it well. Though it doesn't show in the changelog.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 21 Feb 2018, 12:13

keyser wrote:this has been fixed by speed2 in faf beta if i understand it well. Though it doesn't show in the changelog.

I heard something like that in a cast, but I thought its addressed to civilian units not props.
svenni_badbwoi

Postby keyser » 21 Feb 2018, 12:43

oh right i thought "structure" meant civ buildings
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 21 Feb 2018, 12:51

That are the structures: https://ibb.co/hMCYxc
I have rarely seen them in game ...
svenni_badbwoi

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 01 Dec 2018, 14:46

Hey,

speed2 encouraged me to implement parts of my mod into FAF. To find out which parts will come through, I like some feedback from you before I start working on it again. I would be glad, if you could support me by testing my mod.

I need feedback on:
  • Bug fixes (changes in LOD and reclaim value)
  • LOD performance on weak computers
  • LOD changes/impression
  • Reclaim value changes/impression (balance team?)
  • Performance/impression on regular played maps (e.g. Setons, Wonder, Daroza's Sanctuary, Syrtis Major, Twin River, Loki, Bunny Roanoke ...)
  • Performance/impression on maps with "many" props or with different prop themes

Play it on your favorite maps or FA and FAF Props (check the vault) that contains all currently available props (2019). You can download the mod in the vault.
If you need a warm up, check out the video presentation to get started.

thanks in advance
Last edited by svenni_badbwoi on 20 Dec 2019, 18:04, edited 3 times in total.
svenni_badbwoi

Postby biass » 01 Dec 2018, 15:26

Adding the LOD to those burnt out lava trees is a godsend. I use them way too much and it's quite noticeable that you have to zoom to see said trees on Hollow and Abhor, Realm, whatever i name the nomads coop map, etc.

Anyways, because Svenni doesn't have a youtube account, I uploaded the video presentation to youtube to make it easier to see.

It's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfnGHzG ... e=youtu.be
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby svenni_badbwoi » 03 Dec 2018, 21:55

PhilipJFry wrote:@svenni_badbwoi we had a discussion in the balance team about your mod
we are currently not ok with the value changes and how they affect the balance and thus decided to reject them
all the other things (bugfixes etc.) are fine with us so as soon as you make a pull request i can get someone to do a code review and then test and merge it for the next game patch

Thanks for the support!
To ensure that I got it right:
I can focus on BUG FIXES and LOD CHANGES?!
Okay. But there are some things you need to know/we need to clarify..
BUG FIXES:
-Removes LOD errors in some tree props (wrong or non LOD3 in Desert, Evergreen, Lava, Tropical und Tundra theme)
-Makes remainimg props 'RECLAIMABLE' (Common, RedRocks and Tropical theme - go reclaim the 'ThetaBridge'!)
1 - Blocks path consistent for none living props worth >=10 mass (except Cybran/UEF dock (flat), 2 props that hover in mid air or you reclaim them)
-All streetlights and small fences behave like UEF ones (Fall like trees)
1 - Structures theme gets new reclaim values (otherwise they do not block, because missing mass value)
-Unsolved Bug: Original file for LOD3 'DC01_Group2_LOD2_albedo.dds' has shade error (bottom left)

1 = requires me to make reclaim value changes, where mass value is missing (e.g. structures and some rocks, otherwise the props wont block). I like to apply my rock reclaim values where it occurs, okay?
And what about: big stone worth 10 mass while small crystals and some street lights are worth 300 mass? This is currently in RECLAIM VALUES and not in BUG FIXES.

2 - LOD - LEVEL OF DETAIL:
-LOD is based on mass value, prop size and prop typ
-Props will be displayed before you can reclaim them (Should help preventing 'ctrl-shift' abuse: Former props with LOD 100 from crystalline, tropical and evergreen could be reclaimed without being visible)
3 - Fixes tree props not being displayed after LOD2 (Added missing LOD3, fixed LODCutoff1 and ShaderName2 for continuous visibility)
3 - Fixes tree groups dispaying wrong albedo at LOD3 (Palms, Tundra Pine)
3 - LOD fixes integrate unused/matching original files
3 - Removed LOD4 from 'Brch01_props.bp' (All other have 1,2 or 3 LOD steps)
-Could influence performance (Works fine for me, but needs to be tested)

New LOD steps:
-former LOD range 30-1000, but only a few with LOD 1000

Rocks (none living props):
    • LOD1: 300 (<=5 mass)
    • LOD2: 400 (>5-10 mass)
    • LOD3: 750 (>=37,5 mass)
Trees (living props):
    • LOD1: 30 (80 for trees with missing LOD3 to improve transition e.g. dead lava trees)
    • LOD2: 200
    • LOD3: 750

2 = requires me to make changes to all prop bp's
3 = included in BUG FIXES

I believe I will start working on BUG FIXES in January. This way I don't have to change all bp's at once and there is still time to receive feedback and discuss reclaim values before I start working on the LOD part.
svenni_badbwoi

Next

Return to Mods & Tools