LOUD AI & Game Speed Improvement Project

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: LOUD AI & Game Speed Improvement Project

Postby paxton676 » 11 Mar 2017, 19:53

I have tested several maps with cheating ai at the default 1.075 and at the max 2.0. With 2000-3000 units and still ran 3x-4x with 4x speed setting all the way to end game with nukes and experimentals. I recently played a game on ian's cross just me and cheating AI but i had cheats set to on and basically played with unlimited mass and power to get insane number of units going and all ran smooth , no slow down all the way until i nuked the AI to death. but the AI was sending waves of experimentals not single but multiple together. Also, the AI was sending nukes in front of my waves of units to try and time an explosion to take them out. The sorian AI never did that stuff. was awesome! best part is the no simspeed slowdown late game all the way to conclusion. The game without LOUD mod simspeed crawls under those conditions, looks like slideshow. lol

I don't play against other people. I prefer AI. sometimes I do play coop with a friend locally over lan. The two of us against AI.
paxton676

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Tanksy » 11 Mar 2017, 20:00

@Paxton

I believe this problem is something more-or-less "uncovered" to be a problem with the core code. In the latest update, The unitviewDetail file was greatly modified, and a lot of the "fade-in/fade-out" code was replaced with instantaneous hiding of the "rollover" elements. (The rollover elements being what are now showing up with no data at the start of a game.) I believe this has brought to light a problem that may be lying deeper in the code itself, in the way the "Hide" function works, and I'll be looking into where the Hide function is first defined and seeing if there's a solution there.
Tanksy

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby stashrider » 11 Mar 2017, 20:04

Sounds good, we usually play with about 4-6 guys vs the the same number of ai, our settings are often 1.1 with about an 875 unit cap
stashrider
Crusader

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Stashrdr

Postby paxton676 » 11 Mar 2017, 20:05

Tanksy wrote:@Paxton

I believe this problem is something more-or-less "uncovered" to be a problem with the core code. In the latest update, The unitviewDetail file was greatly modified, and a lot of the "fade-in/fade-out" code was replaced with instantaneous hiding of the "rollover" elements. (The rollover elements being what are now showing up with no data at the start of a game.) I believe this has brought to light a problem that may be lying deeper in the code itself, in the way the "Hide" function works, and I'll be looking into where the Hide function is first defined and seeing if there's a solution there.

Thank you so much for working on it. :) I really enjoy being an observer and watching the AI go at it.

The game is really really good without the simspeed issues. Thank you for making this mod. :)
paxton676

Postby stashrider » 11 Mar 2017, 20:11

Glad your enjoying, our Teamspeak server is always up if you ever want to join in if you have any questions, just pm for details. Its a different MOD for sure. Its really been an organic build over the years so any input is always welcome
stashrider
Crusader

Postby paxton676 » 11 Mar 2017, 20:25

I was wondering about the distance fog, the graphics setting, NOT fog of war gameplay. In the game console you can type fog_DistanceFog to turn it off/on. and when you use space bar zoomed in to look around, rotate you can see further and no fog. I was using a mod called console++ viewtopic.php?p=117795 which allowed console commands to be executed automatically. Any chance to get that mod added or maybe just have the fog disabled in your mod? Lastly, it isn't just about seeing further, with the fog enabled explosions create these odd square graphical artifacts. I have nvidia gtx 970, not sure if these graphical artifacts happen with ati cards though.

Check it out for yourselves and see what I am talking about :) This is not a problem with your mod but the original game that is still there with your mod. be cool if I could disable the fog without having to bring up the console and type the command everytime I play. :)

Its not a big deal but maybe you guys will go test it on your game and agree that there is no reason to have it enabled. :)
paxton676

Postby stashrider » 11 Mar 2017, 20:37

I will pass it on
stashrider
Crusader

Postby paxton676 » 11 Mar 2017, 20:40

stashrider wrote:I will pass it on

sweet
paxton676

Postby Tanksy » 11 Mar 2017, 21:28

@Paxton:

We can put in an automatic console command to switch off Distance Fog -- I'll bring it up in discussion with the others. Ideally, I can put in an option for it in the options menu where you could enable or disable this if you wish and it would keep that setting. As for Fog enabled explosions, I'm not really sure what you mean by that -- Most of the explosion effects have been removed from LOUD in the early days as a means to easily bump up performance and lower memory usage, Some of this stuff may be able to come back but this still remains to be discussed.

I've also fixed the issue of the rollover text, showing up at the start of a game with no information. This was caused by the core code as I thought, checking if the player had set the option to hide/show the entire HUD and then showing/hiding these elements. As my modifications to unitviewDetail had removed the automatic "Fade-out", this HUD element just remained on screen until it was told otherwise by you rolling over a different element.
Tanksy

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby paxton676 » 11 Mar 2017, 21:41

Tanksy wrote:@Paxton:

We can put in an automatic console command to switch off Distance Fog -- I'll bring it up in discussion with the others. Ideally, I can put in an option for it in the options menu where you could enable or disable this if you wish and it would keep that setting. As for Fog enabled explosions, I'm not really sure what you mean by that -- Most of the explosion effects have been removed from LOUD in the early days as a means to easily bump up performance and lower memory usage, Some of this stuff may be able to come back but this still remains to be discussed.

I've also fixed the issue of the rollover text, showing up at the start of a game with no information. This was caused by the core code as I thought, checking if the player had set the option to hide/show the entire HUD and then showing/hiding these elements. As my modifications to unitviewDetail had removed the automatic "Fade-out", this HUD element just remained on screen until it was told otherwise by you rolling over a different element.

Thank you for fixing UI. You the man! :)

For the fog enabled explosion, test it by zooming in enough to hold down space bar and then rotate screen with mouse while looking closely at explosions and you will see the graphics anomally or glitch. I agree it is less pronounced with your mod reduction of explosion effects. You will only see it in this theatrical view, not top down. Still , this is not a big deal to me, a minor annoyance. Pick your battles as they say :) but if you were to add an option for me to disable fog would be much appreciated. :)
Last edited by paxton676 on 11 Mar 2017, 21:54, edited 4 times in total.
paxton676

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools