Faction Diversity Mod - Noob learning the hard way

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Faction Diversity Mod - Noob learning the hard way

Postby Dudekahedron » 18 Oct 2016, 04:36

Hey faf,
I've been playing supcom since its initial release with Vista way back when, and I started going crazy for mods shortly after.
I started to see how similar the different factions were in terms of tactics and strategy, so I've decided I want to make a mod that changes that.

The Dairy Farm:
The goal is to produce tactically/strategically unique units for each of the factions. Units that will require some planning to either use, or to take down. I'm not good with coding, however I am with modelling, so this will be an adventure for me.

Updated unit list:

Cybran Units

Curse - T1 Radioactive Wall Segment (Cybran) (Added 11/14/2016)
(basically done)
Spoiler: show
The curse is exactly what it sounds like, a radioactive wall unit. It continuously does a tiny amount of damage to any unit around it, friend or foe, within a tiny radius. Costs a bit more than a standard wall. Good luck using it intelligently!
Behold the magesty:
The walls caught a fatboy! (Too bad the walls are killing each other) (Experimentals can also drive over the wall, like normal)
Nothing can stop them!
Blender Textures:

Demeter - T2 Resource Generation and Extraction-Processing Installation (Cybran) (Added 3/9/2017)
(95% complete, maybe needs balancing, could use some fancier button code)
Visual systems are not the only ones to suffer from lack of processing power. Resource generation, whether it be power generations, mass fabricators, or mass extractors, are plagued with inefficiencies. Generators and fabricators regularly become too sub-optimally cool or hot, and mass extractors suffer wear and tear from boring too quickly or too slowly for the substrate they are in. The Demeter seeks to solve this by receiving a live feed of data from nearby resource units and runs optimization and transmits it back, resulting in a 20% increase in efficiency.

Unit has effects, an animation, and an on-off switch.
Scale:
Optimization effect (same as monocos), I may swap this out with something a bit less aggressive looking. Its also rather small on the T1 units. PD to show it doesn't affect non-resource entities. Pgen is selected to see the +4 gain.

Dilopholaser (previously known as Cyclops) - T3 Unstable Siege Laser (Cybran)
(95% complete - needing some polish)
To counter heavily defended positions, engineers have modified the heavy microwave laser from the MonkeyLord for significantly increased range. However it comes at the cost of slightly less damage, and a precariously fragile and volatile weapon. As remedy, the laser is mounted on a slow moving arm.

unit has a deployment animation, and firing/charging animation

Pre-deployed:
Image Image
Idle:
Image Image
Firing:
Image Image

BumbleBee - T3 Repair and Assist Bot (Cybran)
(80% complete - needs retexturing, + minor code work - auto assist ideally)
The BumbleBee was designed to partially replace SACU in the construction of forward or secret bases. The Bumblebee cannot initiate construction projects, but with six build drones it can easily complete them. It also carries a small amount of mass and is amphibious.

Unit has a build animation, walk animation, and death animation

Building a megalith:
In-Blender Textures:

Monocos - T4 Heavy War-Processing Unit (Cybran) (Added 11/17/2016)
(95% done; I'm considering adding more 'features', might change AoE)
The behavior of Cybran war machines, and likely those of other factions, is not limited by the hardware, but by resource requirements of the software. Example: it is the software that is unable to process enemy units outside the 'visible range', not the quality of the cameras. This is where the Monocos comes in. The Monocos is a massive processing unit that receives a feed of information from units, processes it further, and feeds it back in real time. In addition to benefits to sight, units also receive behavioral adjustments, allowing units to target weaknesses. The Monocos consumes a massive amount of power, and is fundamentally limited by its range - though still substantial.

Unit has activated visual effects, a 'smart switch' that turns the unit off when there's not enough energy (must be manually turned back on), unit creates visual effects on units within its AoE.

Scale and visuals:
Blender Textures (White team colour):
Effect on a Monkeylord (also affects anti-air weapons and artillery):

Brimstone - T4 Experimental Siege Bot (added 12/29/2016)
(85% done; issues with footfall rumble/massive damage, arty-sound issues, and its barrel doesn't extend before firing >_<)
Tired of spending all that mass and energy on a scathis and then getting it immediately arty sniped? No more! Brimstone is an ultra mobile scathis replacement, able to fire and move at the same time - however at cost of slower firing rate (3 barrels instead of 6), less range, and less accuracy. The Brimstone also carries two cerberus guns for defending against small units.
EDIT: No more nanite missiles; too OPd

Unit has a walking animation, a fancy reloading animation (the barrels rotate around the x axis; ie the firing barrel moves upwards and back)
The look (with brightness a bit too high, its fixed, i'm just lazy):
Brimstone and Scathis comparisons :
Image Image
It'll get that GC someday:
Image Image Image

UEF Units
DM2.Mobile Point Defense - T1 (UEF) (added 11/30/2016)
(95% complete, needs balancing)
The Seraphim have returned with terrifying fire power, and the ability to push battles quickly and dramatically in their favor. Quick thinking resulted in the DM2.Mobile; son of the DM1, this point defense is mounted on a set of tank tracks giving it minor mobility in battle. The DM2.Mobile is a little bit more expensive and time-consuming to build than the DM1.
March of the Ents 1
March of the Ents 2

Alarm Clock - T2 Strategic Cruise-Missile Launcher (added 1/9/2017, wooh new year new unit!)
(98% complete, thoughts on range?)
The Cybran Dilopholaser was a terrifying addition to the battlefield, bringing Monkeylord like damage to the strategic playing field. The answer to this was Alarm Clock; a re-engineered cruise missile facility. Technically, it is simple, allowing its construction at a Tech 2 level. The devise produces a specialized cruise missile with highly pressured fuel, giving it significantly enhanced range, speed, and effective-lifetime. Additionally, the unit fires four missiles at a time for good measure, making it a rough morning for any commander.

Unit has an opening and closing animation.

Scale comparison against the Aloha
Launching:
Range:

Fire Spitter - T2 Napalm Launcher (UEF) (added 3/13/2017)
(95% complete, may require more or less DPS, I might make it larger)
The UEF Fire Spitter is an area denial point defense, firing four napalm canisters at a time with comparably low accuracy. The munition damages all units.
Scale:
Munition (1 shell landed outside the field of view):
Range (compared with the UEF T2 Point Defense):

DeadBolt - T3 EMP Beam Tank (UEF)
(90% complete, needs a deployment animation)
The UEF lacks high-powered short range weaponry and with the continued provocations of the Aeon, Cybran, and Seraphim, UEF forces must also adapt. The Deadbolt fires oppositely charged plasma beams. On impact, the target receives continuous pulsing EMP, paralyzing the target so long as the Deadbolt continues to fire. To maintain beam stability, the Deadbolt is immobile during the firing procedure and does not damage the target. Ideally used against enemy experimental weaponry.
Firing:
Blender-texture shot:

Big Boomer - T3 Land Nuke (UEF) (added 12/7/2016)
(85% complete, I need to fiddle with it some more, but I want a break from it :p)
With the long deployment of the Billy Nuke, enemies of the UEF have become accustomed to the spontaneous nuke in battle. However no longer! The Big Boomer is a nuclear warhead mounted onto a tank chassis, it is transportable and mobile itself. The warhead is precarious, so proper care should be taken. Needless to say, Big Boomer only fires once.
Scale:
Killed before firing:
Proper nuke firing:

Pummeler - T4 Air-based Artillery Platform (UEF) (added 10/31/2016 spooooky)
(90% complete, probably OPd, flys a little weird, collision box is whack)
When pigs fly. Pigs are fat. Fatboy is fat. When Fatboys fly. The Pummeler is a large artillery platform mounted to the underside of a heavy lift-plane. The unit features a miniaturized triple barrel artillery turret, and a small gattling gun. Unfortunately the weight of the two weapon systems and typical UEF armor prevents air-to-air weapon systems from being placed on board. Accompany with fighters.
Landed:
Flyby:
Gun Firing:
Arty Firing (can't get a very good shot of this, sorry):

Seraphim Units
Aezthak-oom - T1 Miniature Quantum Gate (Seraphim) (added 11/19/2016)
(95% complete, texture fiddling + "balancing")
The Aezthak-oom is a t1 low budget quantum gate designed to "produce" t1 and t2 land and air units quickly. It costs more than factories, cannot be upgraded, and cannot create engineers or support commanders.

My thinking; it seems unreasonable to me that the Seraphim, whom in story occupy untold other dimensions (or something) wouldn't be able to tap into that. So hopefully this would create an early game edge and pair well with an upgraded ACU. Its hard to prevent this unit from being OPd without affecting the idea behind it (its not a factory, its a gate) so I'll be adding more early units to the other factions to help "stem the tide" of a Seraphim rush.

Unit has a typical idle animation, a 'gate' effect, and units can exit from three directions

Size and build comparison:

Yth Utaumn and Utamn-Ula - T2 Missile Deployed PD and Launcher (Seraphim) (added 12/22/2016)
(90% complete, the Ula won't point at what it's build-assisting >_<)
To compensate for the dangerous investment of the T1 Gate, the Yth-Utaumn is a modification of the existing T2 missile architecture, now designed to carry a small quantum beacon. On missile impact the beacon briefly connects with the Seraphim home-dimension and forms a small quantum gate through which the Utaumn-Ula is pushed through. The Utaumn-Ula is a small t2 point defense and build-assist tool, capable of reclaiming and build-assistance as well as defending its position with a short-firing Ultra-Chromatic cannon.

Launcher has a launch animation and perpetual idling animation. Launcher and PD will have death animations eventually :p

Scale:
Ula Firing:
Yth Launching:

Athow - T2 Shield Wall Projector (Seraphim) (uploaded 3/10/2017)
(95% complete, may need balancing)
The Athow projects a shield wall directly in front of itself. The wall is slightly larger than that of the Thowlus, but weaker. Shield can be aimed by attack commands.

Unit has an activation animation, and can be positioned. It is not a wall, units will attack it!

Inactive and active:
Scale and size of shield:

Thowlus - T3 Phalanx Assault Bot (Seraphim) (V3 uploaded 10/29/2016)
(90% complete, needs death animations)
The Seraphim will return. The Thowlus unit data was discovered from Seraphim ACU debris. Unlike typical shielded units, the Thowlus mounts its shield in front of its body. This is likely consequence of the shield's high durability and energy requirements. Forward mounting the shield does result in exposed flanks and rear. The unit carries two fast-firing Aireau Bolter arms, and an eye that fires an Ultra Chromatic Beam Generator at short range.

Unit has a walk animation, shield toggle animation, idle/passive animation, and effects

Shield Down:
Shield Up:
Firing:

Othak - T3 Ram and small unit suppressor (Seraphim) (added 10/23/2016)
(90% complete, needs some texture work and balancing)
Modified from a mobile shield generator, the Othak fires a devastating short range quantum eruption powerful enough to demolish the sturdiest of structures - although at extremely short range. It features an inaccurate second firing mode designed to take out crowds of small units, or large fat ones.

Unit has a firing mode toggle animation, and visual effects

Both firing modes (left is the ramming mode, right is the gattling mode):

Gattling mode in action:

Bad image of ramming in action:

Aeon Units
Oshoshi - T1 Sniping Point Defense (Aeon) (added 11/23/2016)
(80% complete, going to add a manual firing mode, may make its armor/health change depending on deployment)
The Aeon Oshoshi is a high powered, slow firing point defense. Ideal for setting traps or holding back a rush. Less health than a typical T1 PD, but considerably more range.

Unit has a deployment/unpacking animation.

Undeployed, on the left side;
Deployed and just fired;

Achlys - T2 Anti-Shield Artillery Installation (Aeon) (added 12/2/2016)
(90% complete, texture fiddling, size fiddling)
With quantum gate technology becoming more prevalent and the return of the Seraphim, the Aeon army required a cheaper method of routing out the increased numbers of entrenched commanders. The Achlys represents a shield-disruptor device mounted into an artillery platform. The Achlys trades range over efficiency when compared with the Absolver.
Moments after built:
Firing:
Miasma + Achlys

Locust - T2 Flying Beam Jelly (Aeon) (added 10/27/2016)
(95% complete, needs some fiddling)
Inspired by the new UEF Deadbolt EMP Tank, the locust is an air based emp-platform. Aeon forces required an emp weapon with greater mobility than a tank as to quickly respond across large Aeon battlefields. The locust relies on anti-gravity drives and gentle propulsion to direct its motion. Air-based mobility comes at a price however, unable to ground itself the weapon fires slowly and infrequently, and the emp effect is short lived.

Unit has an idling/passive animation during flight

Locusts chillin:

Locusts flyin:

Locust up close:

Dazzler - T3 Super Light-Assault Bot (Aeon) (added 2/2/2017)
(basically done, just to be balanced)
What could be more single purpose than a LAB? A super LAB! With the firepower of a t2 unit, and the cost of a light t3 unit, the Dazzler is best used attached to the belly of a transport. It is also a very fast unit, and may be useful for intercepting wandering engineers.

Unit has transport and walking animations.

Scale:
Seats 12!
Ground Pound:
Fight the ground:

Ultra Mobile Engineer - T3 T2-Engineer (Aeon) (added 3/13/2017)
(Complete, I'm over this one)
The Ultra Mobile Engineer (UME) is a T2 engineer (though built from a third tier factory) magnetically mounted inside a large mono-wheel. Considerably faster than typical engineers, it can quickly traverse great distances to establish new settlements and bases.

Has the typical aeon build animation + illusion of a rotating wheel.
Scale + Building:
5 seconds into a race (t2 engineers, dazzles, UMEs, and t1 scouts) :
10 seconds into a race, t2 engineers left in the dust:

Athena - Experimental Hunter (Aeon) (updated 11/12/2016)
(85% complete, needs some interesting death event, considering more animations...)
Exotic_Retard rightly pointed out that the texturing is very Seraphim-like, so I'll be making attempts to tone it down!
The Athena represents the current pinnacle of Aeon advanced sciences and at last Aeon technology has surpassed its Seraphim foundations. The Athena produces a vacuum-decay bubble contained within a quantum-gate tunnel to produce unparalleled destruction at considerable distance. Like usual Aeon weaponry, it excels at a single purpose; elimination of strategic targets. Low health, bubble shield, repairs/reclaims. Very expensive, build a paragon first.

Unit has a wing flap animation, and custom beam weapon
Up close:
Up close with "normal Aeon" colouring:
Another angle without shield:
Scale:
Custom beam weapon texturing
This is Athena version 2

For those of you wishing to try out these units;

"The Dairy Farm" is in the Vault! (last updated March 13th, 2017 -- now V5)

Feedback is welcome! Ideas are welcome too!

NOTE: Forged Alliance Forever is required to play. My mod is not designed to work with vanilla FA (or SC) and I have no intent to make it so. As far as I know, FAF represents the best means of keeping Forged Alliance alive and played.
Last edited by Dudekahedron on 14 Mar 2017, 02:47, edited 44 times in total.
Check out my mod (in development): /viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13326
Dudekahedron

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Dudekahedron

Re: Faction Diversity Mod - Noob learning the hard way

Postby biass » 18 Oct 2016, 04:46

Otherwise, looks nice
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Saxxon » 18 Oct 2016, 07:48

Nice artwork
Saxxon

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Saxxon

Postby Dudekahedron » 18 Oct 2016, 16:42

Otherwise, looks nice

Made the images bigger, I'm a bit new to forum posting :oops: and thanks!
Dudekahedron

Postby Uveso » 19 Oct 2016, 23:37

Dudekahedron thats AWESOME!!!!!

As i can see, you at your avatar, you like words with a meaning.

If i look at your cyclops laser, i spontaneously see a Dilophosausus:
Dilophosaurus_Builder.jpg
Dilophosaurus_Builder.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 9851 times

So i would name the unit Dilopholaser :D
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Vanguard » 20 Oct 2016, 09:28

Uveso wrote:So i would name the unit Dilopholaser :D

I know I am the only one, but I read it as Dildophaser. :?
Vanguard

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Vanguard

Postby Krapougnak » 20 Oct 2016, 10:46

Nice units, when can we try them ?
Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Postby Dudekahedron » 20 Oct 2016, 18:05

@ Uveso; I definitely had the jurrasic park dilophosaurus in mind for the frill! My heart isn't set on "cyclops" atm, I may go with Dilopholaser :D

@Vanguard; I wouldn't even be mad if people called it the Dildo in game

@Krapougnak; I'd like to have more units before letting others play, right now the cybran are OPd. I want at least some semblance of balanced xD

Edit: Introspecting a bit more, I want more than just 'balance' I want some nicely polished and unique units too = trying to get shields that only cover one side :evil:
Dudekahedron

Postby Professor » 20 Oct 2016, 18:14

I thought Cybran are OP anyway :) Nice work on the units so far, I'll be looking forward to seeing it finished.
Professor
Crusader

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: ProfessorJ69

Postby Dudekahedron » 20 Oct 2016, 22:18

@Professor; Thanks :) !

Question: Anyone know how to offset a shield in a direction other than vertical?
Dudekahedron

Next

Return to Mods & Tools