[?] How do I correctly set up .xsb and .xwb using XACT?

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

[?] How do I correctly set up .xsb and .xwb using XACT?

Postby Tanksy » 31 Aug 2016, 11:49

Hi there,

I have scoured the web for any information I can find on this -- Even my GPG Archives and the far depths of google -- but I can't find any information apart from a very 'helpful' tutorial that simply said "After 5 minutes messing around you should know what to do', which is about as helpful as a spoon in a gunfight.

Now I finally give up and decide to post here -- Quite possibly the only remaining Supreme Commander FA community that has anything mod-related that's at least somewhat up to date. I don't really like what I've seen of the FAF community but there's no real alternative. I hope there's some modders here who actually can help me out.

I've got a hold of the August 2007 build of the Direct X SDK (For using XACT), and I'm trying to put these .wav files into the correct files for FA to use in a project. I have the .wav files in the Wave Bank, and the Cues are all there too, but in-game the sounds just don't play and the debug log simply says it failed to find the banks (They're in the correct folder, I made sure).

This leads me to think perhaps there's some setup with XACT and the wav files I have to do prior (rather than just dumping them in and setting up the Cues).

Any ideas?
Tanksy

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Re: [?] How do I correctly set up .xsb and .xwb using XACT?

Postby biass » 31 Aug 2016, 11:59

Can you post the debug logs here? ^.^ use pastebin or something
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Exotic_Retard » 31 Aug 2016, 12:12

hello, it should be all on the wiki:
http://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?tit ... ting#Audio

you need XACT 2.0

(and yes the article does indeed say " If you mess around with it, you should be able to work out how it works in 5 minutes")

but it also links some documentation here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff827590.aspx

tldr: get all the sounds you want to put in together, make sure theyre named properly, drag them into the wavebank window, then drag that into the sounds window, and then drag that into the cues section at the bottom of the sounds window, after which you can hit build and it should work™

then call them from the script like so:
Code: Select all
# Third objective intro 1 / Actor: Gyle / Update 22/05/2015 / VO Ready
airbase1 = {
  {text = '[Gyle]: The island is now secure.', vid = 'Pro_16_airbase1.sfd', bank = 'G_VO1', cue = '21airbase1', faction = 'UEF'},
}

but really, it would help a lot if you explained what you want to do, and then i would be able to (as the guy who put sounds into the coop mission and wrote that (section of) wiki article) help you some more

I don't really like what I've seen of the FAF community but there's no real alternative.

well im sorry to hear that, what makes you have such an impression?
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Tanksy » 31 Aug 2016, 12:38

I'm not entirely sure I'm going about "Debugging" right -- The way I bring up the debug logs is just by hitting F9 ingame and searching the unit I'm wanting to see the errors for;

(Ignore the icon warnings. That's because of BlackOps Icon Support.)

What I'm trying to do here is pretty self explanatory from the unit name -- Porting over units from SupCom 2, starting with the Cybranosaurus Rex as a test to see if it's do-able.

So far it seems the only part I've gotten to work is the actual unit blueprint, and the textures which I edited to match the same compression and setup that FA's textures have. (Animations are broken, and I think the weapons too. Script seems to work, though. I had to frankenstein a lot of it with a Monkeylord's script and replace a lot of the Supcom 2 paths (for things like missile projectiles). It *should* use the FA CIFMissileTactical03 and the Flamethrower I have *hopefully* replaced with a larger version of the flamethrower used by the blackops flamethrower tank. -- Although I'm yet to see any of these work ingame, may be a problem with weapons or a problem with the animations being completely broken.)

@Exotic_Retard:

The Direct X SDK I am using is exactly the one linked by that article. What I have done is to drag the .wav files to the Wave Bank, and then dragged them to the Cues (Where it added to both Cues and the Sound Bank by itself.) I'll try dragging to sounds and then to cues and see if that makes a difference.

Do my files need to have specific names? Right now all the .wav files use the exact names used by SupCom 2 -- But inside the Wave Bank I renamed them all a bit to be consistent.

The impression I got of the FAF Community is based on my brief time playing using FAF (I now just use Steam and play with my group of friends as we all have mods we like that aren't necessarily available on FAF), and from witnessing it from browsing forum topics to find information, or from watching Gyle's casts and seeing how various members of the community act and speak towards others. I'm the kind of person who only really likes to play with other people I already know and get along with. When I play something openly multiplayer, I try to ignore or mute anyone I can unless they're proving to be a "nice guy".
Tanksy

Postby speed2 » 31 Aug 2016, 13:02

What's the folder you placed it in?

Do you have this line in the log?
INFO: IsStreamingWaveBank("/sounds/UCX0111_Zilla.xwb") => false

It should be there when you start the game (even just in main menu)
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Tanksy » 31 Aug 2016, 13:13

I have the files in /mods/TanksysTests/sounds.

I'm not seeing that line anywhere in the log.
Tanksy

Postby speed2 » 31 Aug 2016, 13:28

Tanksy wrote:I have the files in /mods/TanksysTests/sounds.

I'm not seeing that line anywhere in the log.

Sounds won't load from that folder without modifiying the init file. Try to place into your game installation:
\THQ\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance\sounds

and see if they work.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Tanksy » 31 Aug 2016, 13:49

Well, putting the files directly into the sounds folder like you suggested has them working. Great!

So, I guess I should look into the init file? Where can I find that?
Tanksy

Postby Krapougnak » 03 Sep 2016, 10:00

;)

Krapougnak
Contributor

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: Krapougnak

Return to Mods & Tools